BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 1st Gay Wedding in Baja.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 03:01 PM
1st Gay Wedding in Baja.

Looks like the locals arent as tolerant as we thought.

http://www.afntijuana.info/informacion_general/34193_aplazan...

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:09 PM

It's gonna take time for gays and lesbians to be accepted and given the rights they deserve, but that day is coming. The younger generations aren't as hung up on sexual orientation as the older ones. The future is bright. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Looks like the locals arent as tolerant as we thought.

http://www.afntijuana.info/informacion_general/34193_aplazan...

No big surprise since the nation is overwhelmingly Catholic, and with a burgeoning fundamentalist Christian movement.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
It's gonna take time for gays and lesbians to be accepted and given the rights they deserve, but that day is coming. The younger generations aren't as hung up on sexual orientation as the older ones.....

Don't think the older generation in Mulege would quite agree with that. Gays were accepted into society a long, long time ago. Hardly a secret that Mulege was known as the Gay Capitol of Baja. Probably the old prison had some influence there. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

No big surprise since the nation is overwhelmingly Catholic, and with a burgeoning fundamentalist Christian movement.

I think it's more an issue of the nation being overwhelmingly macho.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Hardly a secret that Mulege was known as the Gay Capitol of Baja. Probably the old prison had some influence there. ;)

I think even before Mulege, Santa Rosalia had a large gay community. Back in the sixties I walked into the big hotel and it reminded me of a poodle kennel.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:04 PM

Pompano,

Glad to hear LGBT are accepted in Mulege. There are definitely pockets of progressive thinking out there. We have along way to go elsewhere................

=)

There are many places around the world where you can be killed for not sharing the same sexual orientation as the majority.

This thread is Baja related so I'll leave it at that. I don't know the general public's acceptance of gays in Baja. Anyone have any numbers?

Oh, and I don't get the prison joke.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:17 PM

Mexico in general has been more tolerant of LGBTs although not any more 'respectful' than the U.S., you don't have the hate-crimes and total intolerance/judgementalism you do with our so-called Christ-ian communities. It's in every culture on earth; the Native American Nations are much more accepting than about any other creeds. In some Nations gay people are considered shamanistic. LGBT marriage in Mexico however, you're up against the Catholic church, and rotsa ruck there.

Arturo's bar in Puerto Peñasco in the '80s was a regular freak show late at night; the shrimpers and fishermen put on quite a drag show for themselves. And in Baja I think Sta. Rosalia makes Mulege look tame. Very open on the streets in broad daylight there, any time, any day. European/French influence?

And Ateo, you're spot-on. We let black people vote now, even women! It takes time; ask the POTUS if there's any prejudice left in the world.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:32 PM
More Queer Days are COMING ?

To Mexico ?
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:52 PM

Way off location here....in Tahiti if a girl is so beautiful it just cant be true......it isn't. Society is totally accepting of gays and trannies. Not my cup of tea in that area....BUT...the beaches are TOPLESS.... I just hate myself. Sorry, I just thought I would throw that in.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Hardly a secret that Mulege was known as the Gay Capitol of Baja. Probably the old prison had some influence there. ;)

I think even before Mulege, Santa Rosalia had a large gay community. Back in the sixties I walked into the big hotel and it reminded me of a poodle kennel.

There were and are some characters in the area,

Anyone remember "Silvia" the road queen that based out of SR a ways back?

Seemingly accepted as part of the local ambience for the longest time then suddenly dissapeared.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
To Mexico ?

YUCCA VALLEY, YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Lock and load, Mr. Bile, they may break in and RE-DECORATE YOUR HOVEL.... you may even TOUCH one in Walmart and catch HIV/AIDS and EBOLA all at the same time...

SEMPER PERATUS, Coast Guard Guy.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KaceyJ
Quote:
Quote:

Seemingly accepted as part of the local ambience for the longest time then suddenly dissapeared.

OMG..don't I remember Silvia" a real Baja Road Warrior...and quite a character. (I've heard she was recruited by the current US administration as a consultant for garnering the San Francisco vote...but I don't know.)

My favorite memory of her/him/it was coming home to Coyote Bay late one night with a lively young lass (I'm NOT gay...at least not that night, anyway..) As we rounded the curve to make the turnoff into Bertha's Beer Joint at Burros Beach, this apparition launched itself onto the hood of my Jeep. It was none other than Silvia...with a bouquet of fake paper roses in one hand.

I managed not to run her/him/it over in my haste to exit the scene.

I saw her again one dark night coming back from town. Just the head and shoulders sticking out of the roadside grass..again with the flowers. It's kind of a hazy memory now....

Some have suggested I should have given her/him/it a better chance....

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 10:08 AM
YV NEXT ?

Next has already arrived and the infestation is only likely to spread.

Down at Stater Bros. ayer, there was a Drag-Queen prancing around.

With otra customers, including me, making comments and gestures.

All in fun, of course.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 12:38 PM

I didn't acquire this info from snoops or faux news. but my personal opinion is the Mexican People as a whole are very Tolerant but Acceptance is a whole different subject. its sad the gay community can't make that Distinction. :?:
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I didn't acquire this info from snoops or faux news. but my personal opinion is the Mexican People as a whole are very Tolerant but Acceptance is a whole different subject. its sad the gay community can't make that Distinction. :?: [

/quote] OMG, "faux news". That is so original and amusing. You must be very enlightened to come up with that.
You want to see gay acceptance? Try PV.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by KaceyJ
Quote:
Quote:

OMG..don't I remember Silvia" a real Baja Road Warrior...and quite a character. (I've heard she was recruited by the current US administration as a consultant for garnering the San Francisco vote...but I don't know.)

My favorite memory of her/him/it was coming home to Coyote Bay late one night with a lively young lass (I'm NOT gay...at least not that night, anyway..) As we rounded the curve to make the turnoff into Bertha's Beer Joint at Burros Beach, this apparition launched itself onto the hood of my Jeep. It was none other than Silvia...with a bouquet of fake paper roses in one hand.

I managed not to run her/him/it over in my haste to exit the scene.

I saw her again one dark night coming back from town. Just the head and shoulders sticking out of the roadside grass..again with the flowers. It's kind of a hazy memory now....

Some have suggested I should have given her/him/it a better chance....

I always saw her at the inersection in Guerrero Negro hitchhiking. The locals there said that was where she was from. He/She certainly got around, so to speak.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 10:00 AM

Back in the mid-'80's we would camp out at West La Gringa (north end of BOLA) for a week at a time, and for several years as I remember we were often visited in the evenings by an obviously and overtly young (30's?) gay Mexican that lived just up the beach to the west, and he would sit around the camp fire with us---------a very happy guy, and seemed to be getting-by just fine. Tho he spoke limited English, we enjoyed his visits and happy friendly nature.

Barry
Brinloor
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 10:43 AM
Mulegé tolerance

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
It's gonna take time for gays and lesbians to be accepted and given the rights they deserve, but that day is coming. The younger generations aren't as hung up on sexual orientation as the older ones. The future is bright. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

A neighbourhood Mexican family was visiting relatives at the ranchos when their 4 year old boy received a dog bite to the scalp (agreed by all to be the fault of the child, not the dog - perhaps more tolerance). Rushed to clinic in Mulegé and when the doctor went to shave his head for stitches the kid started screaming the name of the local gay barber, saying that only he could touch his hair. The entire clinic cracked up, including the parents.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 10:45 AM

I had to use the Bing translator so I might have missed something but what I understand is that their paperwork was not in order, signatures and numbers not matching etc. I'm not saying that other forces weren't at work here just what was reported. Sounds like they can come back when their paperwork is in order?

My neighbor who is Mexican and well connected was having a wedding at his home, we were invited. The day before the wedding he was running around like a crazy man trying to contact all the guests to tell them that the wedding was postponed because their paperwork was rejected.

It happens.....just sayin..

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.