Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Trips to Pta. Chivato...'Back In The Day'
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 03:17 PM

Brave man, climbing that tower.

Ah, yes. I see the windsurfing boards in the pic now. The palapas are gone. So are most of the campers. I saw two over Xmas.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 08:45 PM

Roger.....great, great memories...thanks, amigo...really

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2016 at 12:15 PM

Great trip back to the "Golden Age" of Baja, by someone who was there for the best of it. Greatly appreciated. All the rest of us who enjoy Baja and missed out on those days can see how it once was.
Until Roger comes out with a book covering his many years living on the peninsula, you can learn more about the old Baja days by reading Lou Federico's book, "One Hell of a Ride, the Life and Times of Lou Federico". It's available for the Kindle. Lou built the old Hotel Mulege and Chivato.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 01:22 PM

I borrowed Lou Federico's book, "One Hell of a Ride, the Life and Times of Lou Federico" from one of my Chivato neighbors a few months ago. I had to return it before I got to finish it. It was a great read. I went to borrow it again a few weeks ago, but he had lent it to someone else. The hardcopy book is really hard to find at a reasonable price. Kind of like "Baja Catch." Maybe the Kindle version is the solution.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 04:43 PM

My ex and I spent many, many days camping, boating, and fishing at PC from 1993 to 2007 or so. The earlier years up to 1999 were by far the best. Made great friends, spent many afternoons and nights in the hotel on hurricane watch, and seems like we woke up every night to rescue our camp from the winds that would pop up in ten minutes of the first wisp of a breeze. But it was freaking fun. The fishing got sucky towards the end, so PC now lives in my memories. Not the same place that it was. But it was a great way to get introduced to Baja.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 04:54 PM

First trip to Chivato was in 1982....The week my daughter turned 21....Liked it better then than I do now....

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 03:55 PM

And the beach was so much more alive back then. I remember every time we swam there would be the white with black spot eels popping up out of the sand by the hundreds. Was always hard not freaking out cuz they looked so much like snakes and you had to swim right over them. And aquarium fish and leopard grouper on every rock. Beautiful. And then they all disappeared.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
And the beach was so much more alive back then. I remember every time we swam there would be the white with black spot eels popping up out of the sand by the hundreds. Was always hard not freaking out cuz they looked so much like snakes and you had to swim right over them. And aquarium fish and leopard grouper on every rock. Beautiful. And then they all disappeared.

I remember there being tons of those eels! They were everywhere and were beautiful. Those were the days...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 07:35 AM

I can't go back in time, so cannot comment on how it was "back in the day," but it is a pretty awesome place. I like the fact that there are few people around. Chances are that you are the only one walking on the beach that day.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 07:46 AM

BBRider.

Barbara - owner of the manuscript of Lou's book sent me the PDF of it free.
She said she would let me know where there would be a reprint of it.

I guess If you want, I could send you the PDF or Barbara's e mail.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 07:57 AM

Mula, I'd love it!
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 08:03 AM

u2u me with your e mail address.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
u2u me with your e mail address.

Edit: U2U fail.

[Edited on 3-30-2016 by BigBearRider]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Fastbird  
Super interesting to a relatively new home owner at PC and a Pilot. I would sure enjoy more stories about flying into and out of PC, like was full available then? Do you know when runway 31/13 was constructed ?

It is on both my 1967 and 1972 editions of Senterfitt... So, since the place was built in '66, it looks to be there as long as the hotel was open?

Here is the page (dated 1969) from my '72 Airports of Baja. My pencil-in note made from the 1976 update indicates the hotel was closed. Of interest, when I first visited the hotel in the summer of 1973, it was closed then too.

I have the 1987 Senterfitt's edition.

Interestingly, it has the second runway (which is now just parking and a taxiway from what I can tell) as 09/27 not 10/28.

It also has a note stating "That new internacional [sic] airport being built nearby will make the area really boom in just a little while."

There is also a note about Hotel Borrego de Oro coming back, and a full page ad for Hotel Punta Chivato (the new name for Hotel Borrego de Oro).
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 09:48 AM

This is another great thread from Pompano.

Here's a shot of the abandoned hotel taken yesterday,

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 10:03 AM

Beautiful picture! You should drop by and visit Nomad 'Russ'... he lives not too far away.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 10:15 AM
In 2017...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 10:28 AM

Looking a little rougher these days but you can see it was a beautiful spot -

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 10:31 AM

A very big surprise is that I got full bars of 4G LTE on Telcel. Speed was 80mb down. Must have been very little traffic on the tower.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 11:06 AM

It is a fantastic place for an all-inclusive or fly-in resort (no towns nearby).

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.