Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: got baja sticker...
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2004 at 11:45 PM
got baja sticker...

who put the GOT BAJA? sticker on the sign for the turnoff for ALEJANDROS?...I went there just to check it out and got a laugh out of that....looked very new.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 10:10 AM

Not me! Where is Alejandros?

I do usually include a couple stickers when I get a request for just one...

Those of you who have U2U'd or emailed me requests, and haven't gotten them... It's because I ran out... Don't worry! BajaCactus printed out a new batch and he is taking them to El Rosario today. I will pick them up on my way to L.A. Bay Thursday. Maybe I will leave some at the motel lobby if anyone is driving by and wants one.:yes:

Email me (info at vivabaja dot com) if you would like one (they are still FREE to Baja Nomads)

[Edited on 12-28-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 08:01 PM

It is down in the SISTERS area where I just came from.....just 5 miles north of Rosalillita ...maybe 4baja had some hand in the matter?....I think he came by my beach and waved as he left ....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 09:41 PM

Nope, I don't think it was 4baja... I haven't seen him since Antonio made the stickers... I have gotten dozens and dozens of requests for the stickers... if they make people happy, then that is good. If they make you laugh... even better... check out a different 'Screaming Airlines'...:lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 08:52 AM

A few people have asked me about the got baja? sticker I have on my car and it never fails to turn into a lengthy and interesting discussion about baja. It's a great way to meet people with similar interests.

Thanks David!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-3-2005 at 03:53 PM

While I can not claim to have placed the above mentioned sticker, I feel that I must now confess that my cronies and I placed the smallest version of the got baja? sticker on a sticker plastered junker on the north road to the sisters.
Mea Culpa, mea culpa.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2005 at 05:39 PM

What can you tell me about that north road?....and the question still remains ....who?....
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 10:21 AM

SurferJim,
What would you like to know? It leaves Mex. 1 a few miles north of Cativina (I have the waypoint if you need it), travels through some outstanding cardon forests and various ranchos, arroyos, salt flats, etc and after about 3 hours (+/-) you get to the sisters area. From your post about your drive time, I think going south to Sta. Rosalillita is faster, although longer in milage. As for condition, it was great when we were there. Mostly dry with a few large puddles. The dried up tracks showed that someone had driven it while it was wet, and it looked like they had a hell of a time. I wouldn't want to drive it while it was wet. And although I have a 4x4, we never had to lock the hubs. Just air down and put the tires in the right place.

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 07:13 PM
Wasn't me either......

Although I was the very VERY first one to have the new "got Baja" sticker, (behind Antionio and David K., Antionio made them, BUT I'm sure I had the first one on my Rig.......David might have been second?) I was on my way north and not south, DANG IT!

(I should have had it autographed and dated!)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 08:28 PM

Yes you were! I think you were returning from a month at Camp Gecko and just happened to be the same evening Antonio was at my house with the new stickers.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 08:57 PM

hey jim-

andy refered me to the same road and as he described previously, the road is a "creampuff" to the coast. mi amigo who was driving wasn't too experienced in the ouback, i.e. offroad. so next time i'm driving and i'm gonna get further into the heart of baja.

hey andy-

Quote:

The dried up tracks showed that someone had driven it while it was wet, and it looked like they had a hell of a time.

those were some of the deepest, longest tracks i've seen in a looong time. at first we thought, "baja 1000?" but quickly realized that someone was hardcore driving/hoping/digging for all they were worth. a full-on e ticket.

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 09:07 AM

Woody,
I thought the same thing. I couldn't tell if they were coming or going, but whoever it was made the decision to drive the road while it was wet. Probably not a wise thing to do as the effects will remain for a long time to come. Those roads have two conditions: Super-Slippery Wet Muck, and Hard as Concrete (with the occasional POOF silt bed along the way). There is no "in-between" time for the tracks to get smoothed back down. (Well, there might be, but it only lasts about 5 minutes, and you have to be there on the right day!)

JBL Noel
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 09:14 AM

Thought that road was much more difficult...sounds about typical for the area...will have to give it a try some day...

[Edited on 1-5-2005 by surfer jim]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 09:31 AM
GPS for road

Faro San Jose (Pacific coast) road: 29?48.42'/ 114?47.93'

This is a few miles north of Catavina in the La Virgen boulder area. Map Datum is set to NAD27 MEXICO

My GPS Waypoints web site is linked in my Notebook and main web site (both linked below my posts here, on Nomad). Do check it out, there are lots in there!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 08:06 PM

at the other end of that road (north end of the sisters coastal road) at the fish camp: N29-17.195'/W114-52.549'

p.s. say hola to mario, isreal and mama.

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by woody in ob]

cardonhugger

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 02:31 PM

Whoa, like dude; You are like soooo totally "Leaving more than Footprints." How's that ol' Baja Saying go: " Bad roads, good/fewer people; good roads................."????
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 02:38 PM

Everybody who reads Baja Nomad are 'good people'... right???

The government graded that road, not any of us (making it good)... I do like unimproved roads better than washboard graded roads :yes:

GPS doesn't make the road better, it's just a tool to find the road, like an odometer, sign, or wrecked truck!:lol:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 04:58 PM
cardon

hey hugger

i know you feel that since you were the first surfer to discover these places, any one after you is a kook. you can sit at your favorite point and hug your cactus all you want DUDE, because the times they are a changing. i can see you sitting on your rocking chair and holding court over all of your grommet rat pack, preaching how cool you are because you discovered baja. pull your head out of your ass and have a look around buddy.

just wait until they grade all of those roads and instead of guys like myself, who bother to appreciate the flora, fauna, waves, and the real locals (fishermen and their families), your spot is overrun by the kind of poeple who invade your dreams. don't presume to know me or my intentions. it's a big world out there.

:P:moon::P:moon::moon::moon:

i'll see you in your nightmares...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 05:26 PM

Wow, this is hopefully repairable...

Cardonhugger (cool handle), as you are new, maybe you should get to know the people here a bit more and let us know you by writing some Baja stories about your past... before attacking folks by private message or public.

Woody has said it pretty well and I think I said some things that should have relaxed your fears about talking about the 'SEVEN SISTERS'.

The area has been talked about for years here and on Amigos de Baja, and only a handful have gone out there. It is still a region I am looking forward to seeing for the first time... and not to surf, but to see the terrain (geology, botany) and any people making a living from the land or sea (WHO THE GOVERNMENT BUILT THE ROADS THERE FOR).

I can guarantee you that bajaandy, woody, 4baja, el jefe, fishin'rich, or any other Nomads who have written about their trips to the SISTERS has had no negative effect on the surf there or prevented you from surfing your spot.

So, please try again and maybe you will find some really good friends here, who can introduce you to some places you might like, even more!!

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by David K]

cardonhugger

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 08:17 PM

O.K, OK......O.K.,

Woody...Andy, whomever,

By referring to the Baja dirt road maxim, I was not insinuating that anyone is a bad person! Woody, you seem like a very conscious traveller. By the way, your buddies at the fish camp were probably wearing some of the jackets and clothing my brother and me have brought down to that camp over the last several years. And speaking of Flora and Fauna, I've been designing and installing California and Baja native plant gardens for 20 years. And I HATE wave spankers!!!

Didn't even mean to judge anyone; reckon I'm just concerned about some of the last Baja frontier a far cry from "The Wall", the "Bay", Pta. San Carlos, etc. Fact is, the area is remarkably fickle(surf-wise), and combined with the weather sensitivity of the roads (snow-chains or wait for many days), along with the drug trafficing in this remote area(Been there, seen that), it's really about having some feeling of space. I'm not the first one that's been out there(even though it felt like it 20 years ago, solo in my '86 Trooper; and the last thing I do is hold court to others as some hero. We prefer not to tell anyone where we go. My brother fishes(and releases. except for the occasional "Flatty") only, and feels the same way about his "holes". In the outback, we never pull up on anyones camp, and so far have been given the same consideration.

So yah, I am damn worried about graded roads and change. I think we've explored pert near every spur in that whole area, inland and out; but I'm just not going to tell..... There's too much pleasure in that feeling of being there the first time!!!

Peace
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.