Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Felipe to Guerro Negro
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:34 PM
San Felipe to Guerro Negro

I have a trip planned to go to see the whales in March. Doing a google map, it shows about a 6 hour trip, however, I am not sure if that includes extra time for the unfinished section from where 5 construction ends to hwy 1.

If you have taken the trip recently, what would you consider the correct time

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:53 PM

I recently drove the un paved section. 2 hours from the highway to Gonzaga in a full size 4x4 pickup.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 10:20 PM
Road Status

From ensenada.net

Puertecitos- road almost ready Laguna Chapala

Includes bridge 305 meters long
Article posted November 30, 2014
by Elizabeth Vargas

A 93 percent advance recorded the work in Laguna Chapala Puertecitos- road, the Director General of the Centre SCT Pesqueira said Alfonso Padrés

This year the project included the construction of 17 kilometers of roads and a bridge 305 meters long, with an investment of 187.7 million pesos, that as part of the national infrastructure.

The federal official said that this work is part of the road network in the municipality of Ensenada, (Puertecitos-Laguna Chapala) aims to create a road option interconnection and be detonator tourism and economic development for the region.

With the construction of these 17 kilometers which is estimated to be completed by December this year. Only 31 will modernize to reach the junction of the road transpeninsular. Needs work during this administration.

This road has a width of 9 meters 3.5 per lane, with gating. To date, the road section Puertecitos -Laguna Chapala, is 100 percent finished to the Bay of San Luis Gonzaga.

Currently working in the placement of asphalt, horizontal and vertical signage, tuning bridges and culverts.

Padrés Pesqueira said that with this type of work compliance is given to the work program of the Government of the Republic, who is Moving to Mexico with more and better roads.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-1-2014 at 11:48 PM
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 12:16 AM

Two hours seems very generous but there are a lot of factors as to the road condition after the rains, what you are driving/towing, if you air down, and your rig and knowledge (and how long you stop at Coco's!).
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
GUERRERO (it means Warrior in English). Name comes from a wrecked whaling ship, The Black Warrior, a long time ago!

San Felipe to Guerrero Negro now has about 30 miles that are unpaved, and 23 of them are rocky/ rough if you need smooth roads. Of course to detour through Ensnenada will keep you off the rough, but add 200 miles to the trip! :o

The views south of Puertecitos, and the beauty of Gonzaga Bay (take the 1.5 mile side trip to Alfonsina's from the Pemex for lunch or a beer) more than makes up for the dirt road, IMO.

Have fun!

ENSENADA means cove or inlet.:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
GUERRERO (it means Warrior in English). Name comes from a wrecked whaling ship, The Black Warrior, a long time ago!

San Felipe to Guerrero Negro now has about 30 miles that are unpaved, and 23 of them are rocky/ rough if you need smooth roads. Of course to detour through Ensenada will keep you off the rough, but add 200 miles to the trip! :o

The views south of Puertecitos, and the beauty of Gonzaga Bay (take the 1.5 mile side trip to Alfonsina's from the Pemex for lunch or a beer) more than makes up for the dirt road, IMO.

Have fun!

ENSENADA means cove or inlet.:lol:

YES it does, and thank you!!! I hate typos, specially when they come from my fingers... LOL!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:39 AM

Actually Guerrero is Warrior in Spanish.......warrior in English is........ warrior

GUERRERO (it means Warrior in English). Name comes from a wrecked whaling ship, The Black Warrior, a long time ago![Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 02:04 PM

I'm in San Felipe now, and heading south on my bike in the AM, Will post pics and road conditions when I get to R&B in San Ignacio
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 02:11 PM

San Felipe to Guerrero Negro now has about 30 miles that are unpaved, and 23 of them are rocky/ rough if you need smooth roads. Of course to detour through Ensenada will keep you off the rough, but add 200 miles to the trip! :o

Have fun!

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

since you have been on this road recently, how much damage did the Baja 1000 traffic do to the dirt part between the pavement and Chapala?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 02:25 PM

There are big 18 wheelers on the road already shortcutting to Mexicali... Those are far more damaging than high tech off road vehicles I would think. For road conditions there the past couple of weeks see posts by TW and others... That's where I get my latest data to pass along. My last time over that road was in July 2012... rough enough then to flatten one of my tires (actually caused an earlier patch to fail).

I know your motive, and I always yield to latest reports if they differ from mine. Some Nomads (like the OP here) don't want to take time to find the most current data, so I am just helping, but no matter what I post, it doesn't prevent someone with newer data to also post. In fact, any posts (like these) bump this to the top of the board keeping it in the current field of discussion. After-all, this is a discussion forum!

Edit, PS: The Baja 1000 was only on 13 miles of the road, and not all the way to the pavement at Gonzaga... 17-18 miles north of Coco's Corner.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 02:52 PM

oh thanks. You posted as if you knew. Sometimes it helps if you post that it is second hand information.

The road sustained a little damage between Coco's and Chapala from the hurricane rain...and there was a lot of chase and other traffic on it during and after the race.. but that was a couple of weeks ago.

thought maybe you knew something I did not.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 06:37 PM

Nothing new there... it is all over the Internet.

If you know these things better than I, then why don't YOU step up and help a Nomad, but have no hesitation to step up to question me?

I help with my older data or Nomad data whenever possible to anyone asking. That never prevents others for stepping up. You posted to question me, not to help anyone. I also post detailed trip reports within a day of my return, so I do my part to also post current info.

Older data still beats no data. Your hounding helps to keep other newbies from stepping up to post here. Nobody likes harassment.

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:01 PM

Why is it that a simple question always gets into a peeing match. I didn't ask for facts, that I already know. It isn't a trivia game of who knows more. I appreciate the responses I got TecateRay, Baja Guy and Beemer Dan

But seriously, If anyone has take the trip lately, I would like to compare Google Maps number of 6 hours from San Felipe or should I plan on 8 hours with the road conditions or does the 6 hours include the extra time on the unfinished portion of the Hwy 5.

I don't want trip reports with photos that have been posted 100 times with the history of every outhouse between San Felipe and Cabo.

As Jack Webb would say, just the facts!

:fire:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:10 PM

I drove the road a week ago on my way north. Two hours for the last thirty plus miles is about what it takes, but that is with a whole lot of shaking going on! Most of that stretch has been washed down to cobbles and bedrock, so I would say that the portion used by the Baja 1k was probably unchanged by the race traffic. However, the first couple of miles of the flats heading north from Mex 1 have been pretty chewed up by heavy truck traffic and the recovery efforts for one that didn't make it. That is a section that could be repaired by a grader, but I didn't see any sign of men or equipment working.
South of Gonzaga they were putting the finishing touches on five or six miles of brand new pavement, but they were not allowing any traffic on it yet. I am sure it will be open soon.
The Pemex at Gonzaga Bay is usually open, but several of us had to wait a while for someone to show up and sell some gasoline (no diesel available)
If they are closed, the next Pemex is at Villa Jesus Maria, with a couple of private vendors (scalpers) along the route.
Hope this helps, G.L.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:38 PM

Thanks G.L. with the traffic and weather things can change rapidly. best to give current info. I will also be going that way again in a week.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I drove the road a week ago on my way north. Two hours for the last thirty plus miles is about what it takes, but that is with a whole lot of shaking going on! Most of that stretch has been washed down to cobbles and bedrock, so I would say that the portion used by the Baja 1k was probably unchanged by the race traffic. However, the first couple of miles of the flats heading north from Mex 1 have been pretty chewed up by heavy truck traffic and the recovery efforts for one that didn't make it. That is a section that could be repaired by a grader, but I didn't see any sign of men or equipment working.
South of Gonzaga they were putting the finishing touches on five or six miles of brand new pavement, but they were not allowing any traffic on it yet. I am sure it will be open soon.
The Pemex at Gonzaga Bay is usually open, but several of us had to wait a while for someone to show up and sell some gasoline (no diesel available)
If they are closed, the next Pemex is at Villa Jesus Maria, with a couple of private vendors (scalpers) along the route.
Hope this helps, G.L.

So did you come from Guerro?

So if so, how long do you think the total trip was to SF?

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 08:00 PM

The article stated a bridge (305 Mtrs) completed this year. Is that one south of Gonzaga, or the one just north by Bufeo finished over a year ago?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 08:27 PM

If this helps, it usually takes us 5-6 hours to drive from SF to hwy1 Chapala. but we drive slow and take breaks. We sometimes stop for lunch. We are still looking for a pet friendly hotel in SF.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 09:17 PM

Try the Sand Dollar Resort......contact person is John Trinkle

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
If this helps, it usually takes us 5-6 hours to drive from SF to hwy1 Chapala. but we drive slow and take breaks. We sometimes stop for lunch. We are still looking for a pet friendly hotel in SF.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 09:57 PM

Cortez, I started my drive in Bahia Asuncion that morning and stopped near Puertocitos, and made a few stops along the way. I didn't pay much attention to my time frame and distance traveled.
My impression is that six hours to Guerro Negro is not realistic. I was delayed on one of the switchbacks about halfway between Coco's Corner and Chappalla by a load of scrap metal that was being re-loaded on to a flatbed (with bald tires).
The construction detours were well graded, but soft, so any rain would change things fast!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.