BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ferry report/Santa Rosalia-Guaymas update/RV park between Guaymas and Puerto Penasco?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 10:04 AM
Ferry report/Santa Rosalia-Guaymas update/RV park between Guaymas and Puerto Penasco?

I am taking the ferry from Santa Rosalia to Guaymas with my very large cab over camper going to Puerto Penasco. MapQuest has it 371 miles and really don't want to make it in one day.

Any fun or interesting places along the way to stay to break up the drive?

Class, anyone, anyone?

[Edited on 12-16-2014 by Howard]

[Edited on 1-14-2015 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 11:06 AM

I believe San Carlos has a couple. But that doesn´t get you very far north.

[Edited on 12-16-2014 by chippy]
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 11:42 AM

I would look at Kino Bay for a stop over.. A little off the track, but very nice beaches..

http://kunkaak.com/location.html

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 11:51 AM

I made it from the Guaymas ferry to my home in New Mexico in 11 hours flat, and that included border crossing. Puerto Peñasco is not that bad of a push.

I agree with Kino Bay; in Kino Viejo (the old town) is a very nice older RV park (my fave), and another 3 - 4 miles down the road to Kino Viejo are a few more; all nice, and Kino is a wonderful breath of fresh air. It all is a little more than an hour west of Hermosillo. Even that will only knock off a couple of hours of your drive to PP at best. San Carlos is right next to Guaymas, virtually no time saved.

[Edited on 12-16-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 01:03 PM

Kino sounds good and looks good, thanks for the suggestion. If it only an hour each way out of the way, that's fine with me. Hopefully it's a little bit down the road from Guaymas so the drive to PP is short and sweet.

Just so I can wrap it around my head, please give me the estimates in miles and/or time for:

Guaymas to Kino Bay

Kino Bay to Puerto Penasco

Thanks again,
Howard

George Bernard Shaw

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 05:01 PM

Howard, been 7 or 8 years since I did the Mainland Boogie, but if memory serves me, Hermosillo is an hour north of Guaymas; Kino is an hour west of there. So in essence you're not 'shaving' any time off, really; there may be a short-cut from Kino north to the main highway though. From Hermosillo north the road is pretty much 4-land divided 'freeway' (term used loosely, but fast travel). You'll turn west at Caborca.... total drive-time in between ~ I AM GUESSING HERE ~ is 7 - 8 hours max, possibly a little less. Last half is 2-lane, but not a nail biter. I highly recommend you get a mainland map first so you don't have oopsie-turn-arounds. Have a safe trip.

Also if you plan on crossing back at Sonoyta, do it early on a weekday. PP is a weekend party destination for most of Tucson and Phoenix, lines are horrid especially on holiday weekends. Weekdays are a breeze.

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 05:03 PM

When are you going?

Do not, REPEAT DO NOT, take the "short cut" out to Kino Bay, off of Mex-15. They have begun repairing that incredibly potholed road, but until it is finished, you are driving 10mph for a considerable distance.

TFN, the route through Hermosillo is the best way to Kino Bay.

Yes, PP is a long way from Guaymas, but it's pretty easy to do 75 mph for a large distance. It is two lanes in each direction till about Caborca. After that, it's single lane but you are still doing about 60 mph, except in towns. It can be done in a daylight day if you leave early.

Really, though, if you go to Kino Bay and PP, I think you will wish you spent more time in Kino. It is nicer than PP to me.
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 05:24 PM

So your thinking that it's APPROXIMATELY 7-8 hours from Kino to PP? I usually go no faster than 60 MPH in my F350 dually with a 11.5 foot dual slide cab over. I am over weight, around 4,500 LBS total in the back, which even for a dually is a bit much.

I will be on the ferry on January 18th, arriving the morning of January 19th and will drive directly to Kino for the night.

Kino looks great and I am sure if I return to Loreto that way I will spend a lot more time there.

Thanks for all the information!

[Edited on 12-17-2014 by Howard]

George Bernard Shaw

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 05:39 PM

Last year on our way south we stopped over night in Santa ana. at

Punta Vista (Edgar and Anna's)
Camping beside a Hotel/Motel
Santa Anna, Sonora
Phone: (011-52-) 641-324-0769
web site http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/sonora/santa-ana/punta-...
not much there but a great stop over
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 09:35 PM

Yeah, 7-8hrs from Kino to PP. That's still a long day.

Mick's option is a possibility, but there is nothing in Santa Anna; just a convenient stopover (though I havent been where he is talking about).

Really, I think PP is a nothing, too. Kino is better........but not by much.

Do NOT overnight in the Caborca/Altar area. Lots of illegal activity in that area.

San Carlos is where it's at, in northern Sonora!! There is a decent RV park, but there is decent, free boondocking, too.

That is, if you like right on the water. :smug:

Are you bound and determined to take the route over the top of the Sea, on your way back to CA or something? Is that why you are going to PP. I have driven that route four times and there are some beautiful areas but they arent that great and you arent along the water all that much.

I am VERY unimpressed with PP. It's like a piece of Phoenix was carved out and dropped in an area similar to San Felipe. But I think the San Felipe area is nicer.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 11:53 PM

Howard, 7 - 8 hours max is my best guess. I haul a trailer too... your weight issue you need to quit the cerveza, you're weigh (pun intended) over the cardio limit. All seriousness aside, I haul a 9k. lb. 5th wheel (F-250 beefed) and you're fine on the main roads. 7-8 hour max? Yes, it's a full day, but not a bad one. No white-knuckle hills or unwanted thrills, you can do it. Check out the Santa Ana gig for a stopover. BTW, you usually roll off the ferry at 7 am or a little later if windy, so you have allllllll dayyyyy.

Far's Puerto Peñasco is concerned, if you haven't been there, it's worth a stop.... ONCE... just like most towns in Mexico. 'Old-Town' is still a kick (tourist-y) and good browsing in old stores. While there, check into a guided tour into the El Pinacate volcanic Parque National for some incredible scenery. I used to dry-camp there 25 years ago, but due to narco-trafficking I wouldn't travel alone there now... worth the cost for a tour... or not. PP has some good beaches, great oysters, and eat at La Curva (La Curba) restaurant; ask for directions.

Because of the current drug situation, keep your speed up on the highways, don't stop for anyone trying to 'flag you down', and that includes if you head west from PP to Mexicali. Not trying to scare you, just the way it is. Sonoyta is still a great crossing on early weekdays, I prefer it 100/1 over Nogales anytime. The RV park at Organ Pipe N. M. is very comfy too, they just don't recommend touring the park any more due to the BS with the drug runners. To the north of there is Gila Bend, and at the (Gopher?) mid-town truck stop/ store is an RV hookup park, and you can camp for free to the left side of the store with the Big Trucks if you don't need elec/water. Fuel up 2 hours east at Eloy... much cheaper prices.

[Edited on 12-17-2014 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 04:46 PM

OK you silver tounge devils have talked me into it. I will leave Loreto and Santa Rosalia ferry one week early to explore YOUR area of Sonora.

I will arrive on the ferry at Guaymas the early morning of Monday, January 12th and do not have to be to PP to meet a group of friends until Monday, January 19th.

OK, I guess I'll head to Kino Bay and try and find an RV park on the sand and then head to San Carlos or ? to find another sand front RV park.

You guys got me into this, so any further suggestions will really be appreciated and where to stay and where to go and the "must not miss" places and joints.
Thanks again,
Howard

George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 05:05 PM

man that sounds like fun, we're fortunate to have a local from there with up to date info! (Hook)
if you don't mind me asking, what kind of dough are we talkin to ferry across with your truck?? coming back the same way? :D
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 05:21 PM

The best I can figure out, it will run around $590.
I am 26 foot bumper to bumper on the Cab Over.
Included in that figure is a room and the price of the ticket. They do not charge for the dog.
I was very pleasantly surprised when I dialed the Mexican toll free phone #, 01-800 from Loreto and the person who answered spoke pretty good English and was very pleasant and helpful. I have not made my reservations yet and will do so in the next day or so.
They give 20% off for anyone over 60 except no discount on the vehicle.

George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 05:41 PM

do you have the option of sleeping in the cabover rather than the room?
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 05:45 PM

That would be sweet but was told no. The propane has to be turned off as well, so no fridge. If anyone is interested, I will report back about if I can walk the dog or even if I can get to the camper. I heard they pack them in real tight.

George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 06:46 PM

The bigger question is why the hell are you going to PP? The place is chit.

San Carlos is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Best boating in the SoC. Cross the Sea and stay there. Good RV parks.

It would be a big mistake to go to PP or Kino. Neither hold a candle to San Carlos.

[Edited on 12-18-2014 by JZ]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 10:55 PM

..............IF IT'S WINDY, TAKE DRAMAMINE.... AND A lot OF DRAMAMINE... and tequila... and Xanax... and.... and....

Small boat, mi amigo. Larga Olas, Larga Mal de Mar. The day your ferry leaves, look online at the forecast and plan accordingly. When the winds are up, 3 more (or more) hours on the water, UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN........... (uurp) have a FUN TRIP! (uurp).

Do San Carlos, see how the Spendy live. Do Kino (Viejo), see how used-ta-be. Do Kino Nuevo, see how spendy USED to live. Do PP, see how southern Arizona lives now.

DO IT ALL. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. VIVA LA VIDA LOCA.

86 - 45*

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 11:36 PM

Kino is great. So is San Carlos. Image is an RV Park in San Carlos.

[Edited on 12-18-2014 by Marc]
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 10:17 AM
Why Kino

Howard the first time I saw Kino was in the 80s. Things I noticed when I arrived. When I crested the dune that seperates Old Kino from New Kino, I stopped my truck and got out to take in the view. My heart rate slowed. I stopped in at Club Deportivo and met several very nice expats, and with a warm welcome, my heart rate slowed even more. Several days later I was driving into Old Kino for boat fuel and noticed I was travling at about 15 miles an hour as I relaxed in no hurry to get where I was going. It was at that moment I realizes I had found the cure for high blood pressure, and stress. That all being said, should you require a bit of the action scene, try a panga at the tip of Turner Island at peak tide movement with a 60lb white sea bass attached. That's the cure for everything else that ails yah.

Try Kino Bay Trailer Park. Great restaurant across the street, mini markets right there and the Club two blocks away.:cool:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.