Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Motorcycle run Puertecitos-Cataviņa-Mission Sta. Maria-Gonzaga
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Using the old trail is respecting its purpose. Destroying it with a highway or other man made thing on top of it is something you may wish to target. Thank you for your interest in El Camino Real.

sorry to disillusion you..David. But motos and cars are man made things that you are promoting on top of this trail.

Hard to fathom for you isn;t it.... lok at it this way...man mad cars...not god.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 05:11 PM

Tread lightly folks.....through the desert that is.... DK, well he is his own worst enemy. go for it

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 05:26 PM

Man made the Camino Real also! God doesn't exactly help maintain it, that part is up to us!
I personally would not run anything over the historic trails, but does marking them to keep folks like me off, cause others to ride them for bragging rights?
That is not sarcasm, I really wonder about that.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 05:43 PM

There are some that think that things are to be used up...especially when they are marked to be saved.

Me. I put 2000 miles on my quad last year...and stayed on existing trails.

Also did about 5 off-road races...on established courses....I hate it when it is ruined by some that believe they do not need to protect it...just take pictures of it after they run amuck....

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 05:55 PM

Not a question of can we, but should we. It is not an off road vehicle trail.
Doesn't this fall under destruction of archeological or cultural sites of importance :?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 07:52 PM

Riders that respect the land stay on established roads and trails. Riders that venture off established trails are irresponsible and have no valid excuse for their actions. . The path that David k is promoting is not an established trail. It is an old and now little used foot path that has mostly returned to nature. David k and his offroad buddies are marooons. There is no defense of their stupid and utterly irresponsibile actions.

On top of the general disrespect for the land, the trail is thought by some to be a nice historic landmark,... Which makes their offroad travel on the trail even more disrespectful.

:fire::fire:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Doesn't this fall under destruction of archeological or cultural sites of importance :?:

I think, this is a valid point. Should we?

If we decide we should/could - then how?

I have been in the off-road business for almost 30 years. Wherever we go, we leave destruction behind. Lack of skills, lack of care, lack of concern. And no, it's not the bad apples, not the 5%. It's the 95%.

TreadLightly? Sounds good. Feels good. But most people's interpretation of it makes me cry. The campaign has failed miserably.

All vehicles have the potential to leave no trace or to scar the ground. Motorcycles are the worst. It's part of how they maintain traction. The 4-wheeled vehicles are right behind.

Widowmaker used to be a bumpy uphill drive - then driven to schits by clueless drivers with spinning tires etc. Spinning tires erode lose dirt away from the rocks. It got pretty challenging. That's why it's now called widowmaker.

The Rubicon Trail (not in Baja but relevant) used to be a 1800's stage coach road, professionally built with a fine gravel top. A bumpy Sunday drive in the 1950's. Then driven to schits by thousands of thrill seekers. They eroded the ground to the point that boulders the size of houses got exposed. The road got really challenging. That attracted more thrill seekers. The historic roadway got completely destroyed in the process.

I looked up the single track in question. You don't need a GPS any longer. It is such a well travelled motorcycle highway now that it stands out on Google Earth.

Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting closure of everything beyond pavement. Discovering, search of solitude, search of beauty are such strong motivators. We have to keep those urges alive.
But the question is, how can we do that without leaving deep scars in the landscape we love so much.
Have been looking for an answer for 30 years - have not come up with one that works.

Harald Pietschmann
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 08:58 PM

Why, when somebody asks for beta for a trip, can't be emailed to them instead of posting it here? (This is a rhetorical question)
If a person is willing to use beta from a person they don't know, they might be heading for a ADVENTURE unprepared.
Asking somebody that doesn't ride, about a trail they haven't been on,or a storm has come through since they were on it, might not be the best plan.=ADVENTURE
If you can't do your own planing for a trip should you go? Yes, asking people for beta is part of the planing. I'd be looking for somebody that has done it or has current first hand info. Posting sat. photos really does not help with planing.=ADVENTURE

I love a real ADVENTURE, many do not.

There are some very good off road folks that are very good at what they do. Go to Johnson Valley or Glamis and see what the rest do.

Adventure = Placing oneself and consenting friends in possible harms way, not expecting any rescue.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 09:17 PM

Having meet and helped people that were ill prepared and unskilled because of this board in some places they didn't belong, changes your view.
Just recently, helped a guy dig his Subaru out of a river bed, he was going to a place he had read about here. No shovel, no tire pump, high centered in a dry river bed. He had been there for 2 hours and we saw nobody in the 1.5 hours to get him out. He and his Girl would have had a long walk to get help. He didn't want me to snatch him out as he was afraid of what it would do to car.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If it isn't used it will vanish forever. If it isn't on Nomad does not make it not happen. Stop chasing newbies away because they enjoy life differently from you.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 09:24 PM

Thank you MMc!

Thank you for: "Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C. Fields

I have been offering help to so many - only to make enemies. I know that people hate to be confused by facts, but W.C. Fields expresses it best.

Gracias!

[Edited on 12-21-2014 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 11:02 PM

I cannot begin to count all the wonderful places that I have now visited over the years by being alerted to their existence by reading posts like these, and I am extremely grateful. The fact that some will not properly prepare themselves before going is always surprising, no mind-blowing, to me--------do they not take responsibility for themselves??

I do hope that most will continue to tell other's of the wonderful and exciting places they visit, or propose to visit---------THAT is what I am looking for-----always!!!

As a "Desert Ranger" for many years, I KNOW that most of the crowds using their "off road vehicles" in the desert try hard to not damage the resource-----it's the uncaring few that do most of the damage. Management of those areas is all a tradeoff, and the truth lies in-between somewhere, thus the establishment of "open areas" where you can drive most anywhere, to all kinds of restrictions that are tailored to the situation and area. It's all a judgment call. But just "keeping people out" is tragic, and never really works-------the good people cannot see the area, and the bad people will drive in anyway.

Barry
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 12:21 AM

"And I am in no mind to direct you to delectable places toward which you will hold yourself less tenderly than I."

Mary Austin, "Land of Little Rain" 1903
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 08:05 AM

Little Dutch Boy, The

by Peter Miller

"Dutch legend has it that there was once a small boy who upon passing a dyke on his way to school noticed a slight leak as the sea trickled in through a small hole. Knowing that he would be in trouble if he were to be late for school, the boy pocked his finger into the hole and so stemmed the flow of water. Some time later a passerby saw him and went to get help. This came in the form of other men who were able to effect repairs on the dyke and seal up the leak.
This story is told to children to teach them that if they act quickly and in time, even they with their limited strength and resources can avert disasters. The fact that the Little Dutch Boy used his finger to stop the flow of water, is used as an illustration of self-sacrifice. The physical lesson is also taught: a small trickle of water soon becomes a stream and the stream a torrent and the torrent a flood sweeping all before it, Dyke material, roadways and cars, and even railway tracks and bridges and whole trains.
This tale originates from the American writer Mary Mapes Dodge and is in fact not a real myth, although many people believe it is. She published this tale in 'Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates' in 1865. The Little Dutch Boy is a very popular myth in the United States (and other countries), but is not well known in the Netherlands and has probably been imported there by American tourists."

Most important point here? "imported there by American tourists".
Hey, that's me, and you.
We're legendary!
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 11:19 AM

My tongue hurts from biting it for the length of this discussion.
I believe it's important to accept the fact that there are two sides to this debate, and neither side is going to win.
What is important though, is the fact that Mexico is a sovereign nation, and if there was/is a move afoot in that country by people who are citizens of that country, to push back and preserve areas of importance, they would do so.
Nothing peees me off more than a foreigner coming into my country (Canada) and dictating what and how we should be thinking. It is none of their dam business. Period. They do not have a license to preach and impose their ideology upon a sovereign nation.
Agree to disagree folks.
El Sauz

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 11:26 AM

Yes KasloKid, Mexico is a sovereign nation. It is clearly inappropriate to go down there and knowingly destroy cultural sites. If you guys do not understand this then stay home and stop giving us all a bad name.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 11:29 AM

Exactly the way I feel about Canadians sticking their nose into how the US is run or how we do things in the states.

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

...............Nothing peees me off more than a foreigner coming into my country (Canada) and dictating what and how we should be thinking. It is none of their dam business. Period..........
Agree to disagree folks.

El Sauz

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  

Yes
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Exactly the way I feel about Canadians sticking their nose into how the US is run or how we do things in the states.

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

...............Nothing peees me off more than a foreigner coming into my country (Canada) and dictating what and how we should be thinking. It is none of their dam business. Period..........
Agree to disagree folks.

Hmm, that is funny. I thought it was the other way around. My Canadian friends and myself just bring money and spend lots of it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 12:47 PM

This is getting more fun to read everyday. Keep up the good work Nomads.
South beach

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 04:30 PM

Any useful input helpful, also planning ride early jan. Across this trail.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.