BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  
Author: Subject: US Surfer-Tourist truck jacked
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 12:55 PM

Did they get their dog back? Hope so.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 02:00 PM

Really Soulpatch? I better say I believe these Soulpatch, stories or risk getting attacked. I can see you're a real tough guy from reading your two stories below, where you take on three guys at the same time, while they're armed, and you go chasing some guy 200 yards while naked. I'm just surprised the police didn't arrest your for indecent exposure

And the thing about guys on meth having super human strength Soulpatch, its' only something I heard, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that some people, seem to have more strength or the ability to not feel pain while high on drugs.

Now lets get back to Josie's story, this thread is not about you Soulpatch.

The way I work, is similar to the way the court system works, or how police detectives work. Surf Colorado, says small details don't matter, but I have to disagree with Surf Colorado because small details do matter, and material facts matter even more. Surf Colorado, changed a material fact in the story and tried to say Josie fought with both car hijackers, including the second guy that found the keys. Nowhere, did Josie say that, she fought over the truck keys with the second guy, Josie says she jumped out of the back of the cab, and then noticed the guy starting her truck and drove away, and she gave chase.

Later, when I ask Surf Colorado, why was Josie naked, another details not told in Josie's story, Surf Colorado, claims Josie was sleeping naked! And Josie, fought both guys naked.

In the court room, they often use what a "reasonable person" person would do in a given situation:

See the definition below:

"In law, a reasonable person (historically reasonable man) is a composite of a relevant community's judgment as to how a typical member of said community should behave in situations that might pose a threat of harm (through action or inaction) to the public."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person

So I'm making a case, that a reasonable person, especially a young naked woman, would not attempt to fight, two guys while naked. A reasonable person, would first reach for their clothes before they do anything. It's simply unbelievable that a young woman would jump out of the cab of her truck buck naked, and then get involved in a fight with two Mexican men. The fact that Josie wasn't raped is also very surprising, given the supposedly facts of the story.

The story is obviously bogus, and it looks like the story has changed. I think perhaps a truck may have been stolen, but the underlying story, looked made up, and it looks made up, to go along with a fund raising attempt. Of course this is my opinion, but it's what I believe.

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Man, that's funny.
I lived in Oxnard right on the edge of Port Hueneme alongside the train tracks that ran out to Ormand Beach.
One morning very early a guy broke into my place and I was sleeping naked.
I saw him run out the front door with my camera and my jacket. He had the presence of mind to lock the door behind him.
My first thought was to catch him and kill him.
It took me 200 yards but I caught him going over the wall on his way to the train tracks so he could scoot back up to Hueneme.... as I hung from his arm by my teeth and he was trying to stab me in the face with my knife (which I got back) wearing clothes never once entered my mind.
Killing him did, though, and getting my stuff back, which I did.... I could not entice him off the wall, though.... he had another knife and I was below him and he was up high.....
jajaja, what a bunch of horse chit this is.

Tweakers have super-human strength? Jajajaja, in 25 years in the fire service tweakers were some of the biggest wimps I've ever seen!
They have lots of bravery but their pain receptors seem to kick into overdrive once they take a good shot or two.... oh, lord, this is rich.

And, not everybody screams loudly when chit goes down. I was in a fight where I had a gun pointed at me, got stabbed, beat the chit out of three guys and held one for the cops..... in a populated neighborhood in sleepyville Camarillo, CA.... 20 minutes of buttcracks and elbows and "nobody" saw or heard.....

Heck, bad chit happens everywhere and baja is no exception..... jajaja, super human strength...... what's next?

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 04:26 PM

i just want to know what Josie did while standing there (still naked, i presume?) watching her truck and clothes drive away?

Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 08:35 PM

I think what is really sad about this story is that someday someone might really find themselves in trouble, but others will be disinclined to believe them because obvious scam-artists, such as the people behind this appeal for funds, will have cried wolf one time too many.

I think that "Josie" and the fraud artists responsible for her story should know that trying to raise funds in this manner likely constitutes wire fraud and mail fraud in violation of various federal criminal statutes in the United States.

My reasoning is clear. If any woman had undergone such an extraordcinary and traumatic misfortune, she obviously would have been seen by medical authorities and would have complained to a US Consulate. She would have readily and immediately provided the location, date and time of the assault, and it is a virtual certainty that others at the place (the Wall, supposedly) would have heard all about it and confirmed it.

Bad violence can happen in Baja. Tweakers are likely to commit petty theft when the opportunity presents. Narco-wars are not over anywhere in Mexico.

But when pot-head gringos with a lack of imagination concoct an obvious scam in violation of US law, and inflict calumny on long-suffering Baja, I say it is time to let them know that criminal fraud has consequences. So they should either put up or shut up.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 09:06 PM

The car jacking of Josie was obviously a true event. Jojo is an a.s.s.hat and has never been camping in his life, his opinions are irrelevant ( Jojo is often spot on, but this time he is wrong, it happens to everyone once in a while). Zola seems to be as clueless as Jojo.
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 09:23 PM

Well, I don't claim to have infallable knowledge, but I do know what sounds likely and plausible: Again, if a young woman were accosted in the middle of the night in her truck, and threatened by baton-wielding gangters, and if in the end she lost her truck and possessions and suffered a broken collarbone, it is likely and plausible that she would have been admitted to a hospital, would have complained to a US Consulate, and would have other eye-witnesses at the Wall who would confirm that she had lost her truck and had suffered a debilitating, very painful injury in the middle of the night, and was naked and had no money, nor any truck, nothing, etc.

It is implausible and highly unlikely that this person would at first REFUSE to say where the event had happened.

If I am wrong, I offer my sincere apologies to the woman and her friends. I have no axe to grind. But at best this story, as stated to me, sounds improbable, implausible, unlikely, and contrived in support of an abandoned fund-raising effort.

I wouldn't care, except that when others really need help, stories like this engender skepticism and put all of us off from helping a real victim of an actual crime.

Lastly, how can anyone know that the assailants were tweakers unless they were visibly under the influence? But I thought that they were wearing ski masks and brandishing batons? How would you know? But isn't this the sort of detail that one provides to gain sympathy? "I was attacked by speed freaks in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.!"

Again, if I am wrong, I apologize. But those who seek funds right from the start should have posted photos, the exact location, date and time, eye-witness accounts, a police report, a consular report, etc. Refusing to name the location struck me as spurious in the extreme, and I am as dedicated a surfer as anyone.

OK, I will pipe down now. I am sorry that I even contributed my $0.02.

[Edited on 1-5-2015 by Zola]

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 09:58 PM

I might have put my foot in my mouth again!I just read Shari's post, and if others on this site have heard from reliable friends that this happened, then I am an arse. Well, I am probably an arse anway.

But the way this story was presented, along with the fund-raising effort, made me think that it was bull. But who am I to say or judge? Next time I will say nothing.

"It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 07:38 AM

Zola...sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction...no?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 07:46 AM

Yep! From page 3 of this thread.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I love how reality has nothing to do with this site at times. We go down our own road not caring about reality, just building our own little worlds. It's good in mine how about you?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

jeff

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 08:12 AM

Like wipin an arse with a hoop it just keeps a comin around...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The car jacking of Josie was obviously a true event. Jojo is an a.s.s.hat and has never been camping in his life, his opinions are irrelevant ( Jojo is often spot on, but this time he is wrong, it happens to everyone once in a while). Zola seems to be as clueless as Jojo.

I been camping in Baja plenty of times, but not in a few years. However, most of my camping experiences, I didn't enjoy, because too Mexicans don't seem to go camping for the spiritual aspects of camping, and peace and quiet.

I stayed at hotels with bars next by, that were quieter than Baja campsites, with loud music playing, and some families bringing the kitchen sink with them.

And when I complained about my camping experiences, I was told, I'm just going to the wrong places, and then I'm taking somewhere else on the next camping trip, but I experience the same thing with the very loud camping grounds with music playing until very late at night.

Give me Yosemite anytime, although it can get bad in Yosemite too, and the bad guys and bears are sometimes a problem.

Didn't, Jason Voorhees always hang out at camp grounds?

Goat, you're all over the place, on this issue with Josie, first you believe it, and then you don't believe it, and think it's a scam.

Make up your mind.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 11:25 AM

:light:
Quote: Originally posted by Zola  
I think what is really sad about this story is that someday someone might really find themselves in trouble, but others will be disinclined to believe them because obvious scam-artists, such as the people behind this appeal for funds, will have cried wolf one time too many.

I think that "Josie" and the fraud artists responsible for her story should know that trying to raise funds in this manner likely constitutes wire fraud and mail fraud in violation of various federal criminal statutes in the United States.

My reasoning is clear. If any woman had undergone such an extraordcinary and traumatic misfortune, she obviously would have been seen by medical authorities and would have complained to a US Consulate. She would have readily and immediately provided the location, date and time of the assault, and it is a virtual certainty that others at the place (the Wall, supposedly) would have heard all about it and confirmed it.

Bad violence can happen in Baja. Tweakers are likely to commit petty theft when the opportunity presents. Narco-wars are not over anywhere in Mexico.

But when pot-head gringos with a lack of imagination concoct an obvious scam in violation of US law, and inflict calumny on long-suffering Baja, I say it is time to let them know that criminal fraud has consequences. So they should either put up or shut up.

What happened Zola, you were doing so good until you ran out of gas, and now believe this story, because a collection of newbies, that probably don't have 10 posts combined, came to "Baja Nomad" and said, yes the story is true....blah blah blah......

None of these people actually witnessed the event, but they claim they heard from somebody. Shari's friend, at best is another fourth handed report, and Shari didn't say anything about her friend beyond reproach until very late into this thread, where Shari, had already made up her mind, the story was true, and the two car hijackers were meth tweakers, and then she got everyone reporting the two hijackers, were tweakers, without one shred of evidence the alleged car thieves were doing drugs.

Old American surfers are known to do drugs too.

Zola, you did get a few facts wrong, probably because you didn't read everything here, including Josie's account, and I suspect most of the people here didn't read everything, they just convinced themselves the story must be true, because it happened in Mexico, without looking at Josie's account and the others here, where they changed a few material facts, like Josie is buck naked fighting two Mexican guys supposedly high on meth.

But you said something Zola about the hospital, that I have also been wondering about. In Josie's story, she says two people took her to the hospital. One of those persons said on Nov 16, they been surfing in Northern California for the last two months, according to their FACEBOOK page. However, I guess it's possible they could have dropped the surfing up north and then headed to Southern Baja to be with Josie. ( I looked at the Friend's Facebook page. Do these people ever work?)

The question I have is, who paid for Josie's hospital bill? Josie was buck naked with no clothes, no ID, and no money. Did Josie have "Seguro Popular?" And even if she did, she still had no ID. Medical fees in Mexico, are about a third of what medical fees are in the US, but that's still a substantial amount of money for somebody bleeding all over the face, with a broken collar bone.

Mexico is not the USA, where the hospitals will offer basically free emergency medical care, and then try to bill you later. The hospitals, especially if they're private hospitals, are going to want the money up front, or before you leave the hospital.

If anything, the fund raiser attempt, should have been for the hospital bill, not a truck replacement. Of course, these surfers, who probably spend a lot of time surfing instead of working, could have paid the hospital bill, but Josie made no mention of it.

I don't think Josie actually went to the hospital, because she was too busy telling her tale to anybody that would listen.

[Edited on 1-5-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 11:47 AM

Some people around this forum have a strange and strained relationship with the truth and at times, they switch stories as they go along to whatever sounds best.
Bajaahh
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Some people around this forum have a strange and strained relationship with the truth and at times, they switch stories as they go along to whatever sounds best.

Very well put.
We all know that many things go down in Mex that we never hear about on "The news" or through the regular channels.
If it did happen, I wish her a speedy recovery. If it didnt, well Baja karma has a way to always get even...
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i just want to know what Josie did while standing there (still naked, i presume?) watching her truck and clothes drive away?

She mourned for Patagonia. :no:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

the internet and drugs does that to people some times.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 03:12 PM

Couldn't help myself.. Had to read the whole thread..

Where does one read "Josie's story"?

Also.. Who ever said the wall was a remote surf spot? Maybe 6 or 7 miles off the main road?? Hardly remote in my world...GN 40 mins south?! As a surfer/remoteness enthusiast, I shy away from spots this close to the hiway..plus the gross amount of desert white Lillie's there.. Went there once, came in from the north/dirt.. Got the real picture when I exited to Mex 1..
If somebody (tweaker or whoever) wants my b-tchen Toyota 4by... They are going to have to get down a long chitty dirt roaad to get it..and then get throu my other "security" features in camp..

Hope it's not true... But wouldn't surprise me

TT
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
you know, and I don't want to be too cynical here, the second thing I thought after checking the Facebook page, was, hum, bet there's a fund raiser coming, especially with the later board post of the account which included 'there goes my trip to Patagonia.' now as I check back, gee, someone found a fundraising site.
guess every young person out there on world wide endless adventures isn't a trust fund baby...go figure. for most of us such a misfortune would mean going back to work for awhile to recoup, not asking strangers to pitch in with funds.
probably something unfortunate did happen and I am certainly sorry for the young lady, as well as others who go thru such misfortunes. the lack of any other information is puzzling, though.

August 12 2014 she was getting off a helo somewhere atop a bigazz mountain. This reminds me of the CEOs from Detroit auto manufacturers going to ask congress for a bail out and ariving on their private jets.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 09:04 PM

I posted a prior reply last week. From reading all 8 pages, it is clear that some adamantly believe the story, and others vehemently call B.S. We will never know for sure, but a good thing to take away from this is to always be mindful of your safety.

By the way, not too long ago, I dated a CBP Inspector who works on the southern border. In the past, I've asked her all kinds of questions about the duties of CBP Officers. She said they are supposed to ask for and inspect EVERY person's passport when they claim to be a U.S. citizen. If Josie had all her belonging stolen, she wouldn't have had her passport. That would have been a huge problem for her when seeking admission into the U.S.

The CBP Officer also told me that it's a big deal when someone is seeking entry as a U.S. citizen without proper documents. At a minimum, they are sent to secondary inspection. They will NOT admit someone who says they are a citizen but has no documents. They will attempt to verify the info, but such is very difficult. CBP is under Dept. of Homeland Security. Passports are issued by the Dept. of State. So, CBP can't simply check their electronic data bases for passport information. DOS is very tight with their information and doesn't give many other agencies access to it. CBP also does not have access to electronic civil data bases (County recorders/registrars) to verify births in the U.S.

If she showed up at the border with a broken collarbone (or whatever the injury was) and said she didn't have her passport because she was robbed and severely injured, it would have been a HUGE deal that would have taken many hours to resolve. Federal incident reports would have been written (internal, not public). It's interesting that nothing was mentioned about the bureaucratic nightmare that surely would have ensued if the story were true.

Oh, and just for the record, I wasn't implying that if something is in the blogosphere, it must be true. I was simply trying to point out that with our narcissistic youth culture, everyone blabs about everything - including the most mundane minutia. Also, most newspapers have their content online now. The fact that this didn't make any kind of local San Diego news is very suspicious.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 10:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
I posted a prior reply last week. From reading all 8 pages, it is clear that some adamantly believe the story, and others vehemently call B.S. We will never know for sure, but a good thing to take away from this is to always be mindful of your safety.

By the way, not too long ago, I dated a CBP Inspector who works on the southern border. In the past, I've asked her all kinds of questions about the duties of CBP Officers. She said they are supposed to ask for and inspect EVERY person's passport when they claim to be a U.S. citizen. If Josie had all her belonging stolen, she wouldn't have had her passport. That would have been a huge problem for her when seeking admission into the U.S.

The CBP Officer also told me that it's a big deal when someone is seeking entry as a U.S. citizen without proper documents. At a minimum, they are sent to secondary inspection. They will NOT admit someone who says they are a citizen but has no documents. They will attempt to verify the info, but such is very difficult. CBP is under Dept. of Homeland Security. Passports are issued by the Dept. of State. So, CBP can't simply check their electronic data bases for passport information. DOS is very tight with their information and doesn't give many other agencies access to it. CBP also does not have access to electronic civil data bases (County recorders/registrars) to verify births in the U.S.

If she showed up at the border with a broken collarbone (or whatever the injury was) and said she didn't have her passport because she was robbed and severely injured, it would have been a HUGE deal that would have taken many hours to resolve. Federal incident reports would have been written (internal, not public). It's interesting that nothing was mentioned about the bureaucratic nightmare that surely would have ensued if the story were true.

Oh, and just for the record, I wasn't implying that if something is in the blogosphere, it must be true. I was simply trying to point out that with our narcissistic youth culture, everyone blabs about everything - including the most mundane minutia. Also, most newspapers have their content online now. The fact that this didn't make any kind of local San Diego news is very suhispanicious.

I,ve been told by cbp that a U.S. Citizen without docs cannot be denied entry into the U.S.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.