Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: US Surfer-Tourist truck jacked
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 06:40 AM

But CBP doesn't know you're a U.S. citizen until you show them your documents. If documents weren't required, everyone would simply say they are a U.S. citizen and they would have to be admitted, which would be counterintuitive.

As an experiment, the next time you seek entry into the U.S., just tell the inspector you are a U.S. citizen and you don't have to show him proof. Report back and let us know how that worked out for you.
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 07:02 AM

My apologies to Luv2fish as my last post was a bit snarky. Based on the following info from DOS' travel.state.gov website, the CBP inspector most likely referred Josie to the U.S Embassy in Tijuana:

What Should a U.S. Citizen Do if his/her Passport is Lost or Stolen Abroad?
You will have to replace the passport before returning to the United States. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. Contact information for U.S. embassies and consulates is also available in our Country Specific Information pages. Ask to speak to the Consular Section to report your passport lost or stolen. If you have been the victim of a serious crime, be sure to tell a consular officer about it as soon as possible so we can provide appropriate assistance. If you are scheduled to leave the foreign country shortly, please provide our consular staff with the details of your travel. We will make every effort to assist you quickly. You will also be directed to where you can obtain a photo for your replacement passport. In most cases, you will need to get a passport photo prior to your arrival at the consular section.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 07:04 AM

The part of the story that is not believable is 1) a woman does not go to a northern baja popular surf spot and camp along the beach and away from others (which is hard for anyone to do) then 2) leave her car unlocked and her keys sitting open in the front seat while being in the back cab.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 08:59 AM

Apparently at least one person did...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  

If she showed up at the border with a broken collarbone (or whatever the injury was) and said she didn't have her passport because she was robbed and severely injured, it would have been a HUGE deal that would have taken many hours to resolve. Federal incident reports would have been written (internal, not public). It's interesting that nothing was mentioned about the bureaucratic nightmare that surely would have ensued if the story were true.

I went through a very similar experience a little over 3 years ago. When my daughter and son-in-law got me out of the hospital in Ensenada I did not have a single piece of ID on me. When we arrived at border I was still in pretty rough condition. My daughter explained that I had been attacked and my wallet with all my ID taken from me. The agent simply asked my name, date and place of birth. Looked at his computer screen for a few moments and we were waved through. Didn't even have to go to secondary. Not sure if I was an exception or the general rule but we weren't even held up at the border crossing booth for more than a couple of minutes.

YMMV...

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by BajaGringo]

AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 10:01 AM

Easiest crossing I ever had was when our passports were stolen in Ensenada when car broken into. A few days later when headed home the CBP officer laughed at us and sent us on our way.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
The part of the story that is not believable is 1) a woman does not go to a northern baja popular surf spot and camp along the beach and away from others (which is hard for anyone to do) then 2) leave her car unlocked and her keys sitting open in the front seat while being in the back cab.

newkid,
i know several women that travel and camp alone in baja -- and many people think the best camp spot is the one farthest from nearby campers.
when i camp in remote locations i have often left my vehicle unlocked while sleeping at night with keys in the vehicle so anyone in my group knows where keys are if they are needed...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

newkid,
i know several women that travel and camp alone in baja -- and many people think the best camp spot is the one farthest from nearby campers.
when i camp in remote locations i have often left my vehicle unlocked while sleeping at night with keys in the vehicle so anyone in my group knows where keys are if they are needed...

Do you sleep nude like Josie too when you go camping?

I don't think it's smart to leave your keys in the vehicle anytime, because you have too much to lose if somebody does come along and steals your vehicle and everything inside.

Goyo, makes a few good points about, " What Should a U.S. Citizen Do if his/her Passport is Lost or Stolen Abroad? However, I think that has to do more if you lose your passport far away from home, and have to get back on an airplane, because the airline isn't going to let you back on without an ID/Passport.

If you're on the US/Mexico border, the border patrol, can't deny entry to an American, and it's very easy for them to verify your citizenship, although you may be delayed a little bit.

I know, a few guys that were victims of choke holds in Tijuana, where it can be dangerous at night, and not so peaceful like a campground, where Josie was at. The border patrol agents, always let them pass through with little difficulty after pulling up their information on their computer screen.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 12:36 PM

If you're on the US/Mexico border, the border patrol, can't deny entry to an American, and it's very easy for them to verify your citizenship, although you may be delayed a little bit.

WORD...... but just to be mo accurate, the Border Patrol only patrols the border, while U.S. Customs allows us entry without a passport.:):):):)

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  

If she showed up at the border with a broken collarbone (or whatever the injury was) and said she didn't have her passport because she was robbed and severely injured, it would have been a HUGE deal that would have taken many hours to resolve. Federal incident reports would have been written (internal, not public). It's interesting that nothing was mentioned about the bureaucratic nightmare that surely would have ensued if the story were true.

I went through a very similar experience a little over 3 years ago. When my daughter and son-in-law got me out of the hospital in Ensenada I did not have a single piece of ID on me. When we arrived at border I was still in pretty rough condition. My daughter explained that I had been attacked and my wallet with all my ID taken from me. The agent simply asked my name, date and place of birth. Looked at his computer screen for a few moments and we were waved through. Didn't even have to go to secondary. Not sure if I was an exception or the general rule but we weren't even held up at the border crossing booth for more than a couple of minutes.

YMMV...

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by BajaGringo]

About that same time a friend of mine was deathly ill down here and needed to go to the VA in San Diego. His son put him in a sleeping bag in the back of his truck without any ID. When they got to San Ysidro they were sent to secondary and were there for over 1 hour before being released. When they reached the VA my friend was pronounced dead :mad:

Bob Durrell
jeff

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 09:04 PM

Headed back down for another couple of weeks, just gotta wonder what the rest of the story will be.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 11:27 PM
LOL..ya your free !!

Your papers Pleeeze !!:lol:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 11:02 AM

I was there in Jan. this did happen and there have been thefts from camps that left wet suits and diving gear out. We heard to make sure to keep stuff under lock with in a hour of pulling in. I also got the story from some of the long term campers that are there. Not Good.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.