baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:17 AM
A nightmare recalled

Lots of new folks so I,ll do it again,and it really happened:lol:
Rob

Gonzaga Bay 1967.......A nightmare recalled

This would be our third summer vacation at PaPa,s place,my family is really getting into this baja thing,all we talk about is when are we going next and can,t we stay a little longer,the kids bedrooms walls are covered with baja pic,s,my garage is a mess,fishing poles,camping gear,and finally a boat an motor,with our powerwagon and shell we are ready for anything.
PaPa,s place in those days was primitive at best,but we always had the cabana which I helped put the roof on three years earlyer and this year a flusher,it does,nt get any better!!!
Baths were a bit of a problem,a wife and two little girls,well you understand,but we had a solution for that also,wait for everyone to go to bed ,then go skinny dipping with your favorite bar of soap,worked well until that night.
It was a beautiful night a huge full moon as only a baja moon can be and bright as day,the wife an kids were finishing up and I was taking a little swim maybe a bit to far for me but the water was warm and life was good.
I,ve never been a strong swimmer and had no business being out this far but I just felt great,the strokes were coming easy and fatigue never entered my mind.
As I mentioned before the water was warm and O so clear I could see,O MY GOD directly below me was a huge shape,a large fish,a BIG SHARK!!!!!
I coudn,t catch my breath,my heart pounded,vomit was only a moment away but now the adrenalin started to kick in,swim for your lifeand that I did,really rolling now but I looked down and there he was only closer now,I started to yell to who I don,t know,everytime I looked down he was closer,any minute now and I,ve had it.........WHAM he had my face.Ive always thought to be eaten by a large shark had to be the worst way you could go...........But wait I,m still alive an all I have is sand in my eyes.
I beached myself swimming from my shadow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BAITCAST

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:36 AM

Thanks for sharing your scary experience. That was way before the movie "Jaws" came out, so your fear of the finned ones was real. After you realized that you were swimming for your life from yourself, did you laugh out loud and share your harrowing experience right away, or sit on it for awhile?

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:40 AM

Thanks for posting that again... Good stories never get old!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 09:31 AM

it was late and most everyone was bedded down for the nite,after I discovered I was still alive I layed there wiping the sand off my face and catching my breath,now I worried hope nobody was watching and happy that thing didn't catch me:lol:

Just another fun day on the gulf.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 09:45 AM

I felt the terror and then the relief... :D
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 10:09 AM

I would have soiled my trunks.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 10:16 AM

He wasn't wearing any trunks...
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 01:56 PM

Ha ha! Pretty funny! I can bet you were terrified, though!
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2021 at 11:28 AM

oNE MORE TIME :)

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2021 at 11:42 AM

It's a good thing you wrote all this down. Sometimes we forget the best parts of our lives. I like to go back and reread my old stories.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 07:44 AM

Great story!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 08:05 AM

Igor its good to see you are still hanging around :) I also like to read my old postings, it brings back that day as I read and I feel good, I also have reread some of your old posting..........hang in there fella.........I just turned 87 the other day.!!
Rob

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 08:50 AM

Rob when was the last time you visited Papa's? after a long stretch we sold our place and never looked back, couldn't be happier her on the left side but do miss the warm water swims, water here is always freezing and yes pretty much a cesspool:(
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 09:14 AM

baitcast- thank you for the story. Could use more of those here. And happy belated birthday. You were in your early 30’s back then. The older I get the more I realize how fast time goes by. Thank you again.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 09:25 AM

Nomad at its finest.

Thanks baitcast, and keep them coming.

Isn't this what we are all about? Or should be.

Sharing the love of Baja brought us all here.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 10:46 AM

Delmar early 70's I think, made it every summer from 64 on then it was BOLA for many years and then it was more of the same :)
Rob

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 12:38 PM

When I was almost eighteen, I was snorkeling in a shallow bay near Manzanillo , when a shadow passed over me. I rose to the surface, and saw fins on both sides of me!

No sharks though, they turned out to be the wing tips of two huge Manta rays, Way cool to see them up that close! :wow:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.