Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yield and Merge
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2004 at 07:57 PM
Yield and Merge

Yield and Merge

Those are my thoughts tonight as I hit the long cemented ingress to a freeway that leads me back to my home from work in the downslopes of the hills north of Los Angeles.

New Years resolution? I haven?t really thought about that yet. It?s usually a spontaneously rendered wish I?ve lived with for a long time, a potential improvement to myself and those hearts wrapped most closely around me: to drink less; to be a better husband; to maintain an even temperment; to lose weight.

For some reason this year, maybe because I?m getting older, maybe because of all the tragedy in our world recently, I seem to be wishing on a larger scale.

While I hadn?t thought of it as a resolution because it isn?t something I can control, I just wish we?d learn to get along. On a global scale.

It?s an easy wish for me, an aging male past my prime and looking toward stepping down from self-constructed and imaginary pedestal. It would have been harder during my earning years to wish for greater equality with others whom I might have thought of as less deserving. I don?t know as I?m no longer there.

But I do know we?d have a better world if we could all see into the varied environments of others in situations different from ours with greater understanding and empathy.

Because I was raised near Mexico, I have been exposed to differences in life style since I was a small boy. I remember the absolute poverty of Tiajuana when that was still its name, the paperwalled hovels stretching along the border and the naked children running there. Living in Cuernavaca as a boy I lived and played with the local children and, while I probably harbored prejudices, I don?t remember them now. I remember my first trek down Baja with Epifanio and my exposure to local life in simple dwellings unlike my own, of the rush of warmth mothers expressed for children living in mud huts miles from anywhere. I learned that life can be good regardless of your life style. Eventually, I learned to live just like they did, and then my children as well learned.

It?s not that I would ask for us all to live equally. That?ll never happen.

I just would like for us all to have less aggression for each other, to live in greater harmony. Simple words, certainly.

But if we can try and see into each others worlds and understand why we each are the way we are, I feel we?d have a better place to live. It would be a big mistake to think that because I live in a grand palace I have more value than if I live in an adobe hut. Many of those I care for have lived far simpler than I and I have learned from them.

That?s it, then. I?ll make that my resolution. For sure, I can?t control the outcome. But so what? It?s just a start, an ingress.

My onramp hits the freeway and I think along with the traffic signs: ?Yield? and ?Merge.?

Then I think how many miles I have to before I?m home. How far I am from my destination.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 12:15 AM

Oh....I thought this was going to be about the traffic trying to get in line at the BORDER at T.J........
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville

...an aging male past my prime and looking toward stepping down from self-constructed and imaginary pedestal.

Mike, I don't think you are past your prime amigo. I think you are a charm on this earth. To read your posts here impact some of our lives like you would not believe.

I wish for you, Maryann and your family a very happy new year with many more to come.

Bob and Audrey H (Shelby-dog too!)
:yes:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 03:13 PM

hey mike-

i don't even know you other than through your great posts. like bob h said,

Quote:

To read your posts here impact some of our lives like you would not believe

you've got a way with words that we could all use some more of...

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 07:07 AM

Mike,

Wonderful post !
I think many of us are reflecting on the actions and direction of our global society. Unfortunately, after having waged wars on ourselves for centuries, learning lessons from others and from our past still seems impossible for many.

Although I have never had the pleasure of making your aquaintence, I have enjoyed your information, thoughts and stories for years. I believe there is great value in expressing one's feelings publicly so others may be enlightened or strengthened in their own beliefs.

Don't let your numeric age affect your attitude. Remember when 40 seemed so old ? One day your current age will seem young also. All of life is for learning; your not done yet ! And we are all fortunate to be recipients of your wonderful posts.

Thank you and have a great new year !

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 05:17 PM
Thanks,

for your nice words. Perhaps, somewhere down the evolutionary road, we will still our aggressions, at least calm them.

Happy New Year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.