BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  12
Author: Subject: Hwy. 5 pavement south of Gonzaga Bay Reports (2007 to 2016 added)
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 01:08 AM

I don't think it's a given that excessive speed causes washboard (I've always gone with aired down and slow myself) but it has been proven that vehicle travel over these roads is the culprit. I am on the side that it will be sad to have the big rigs air braking as they scream along this section...they coyotes need their sleep too!!!! Yet I totally understand those that will have a great new way to get south without having to lose an axle or have their teeth rattled out of their mouths.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 04:56 PM

For the First time, I will be taking Hwy 5 North on my way out in April.
Really looking forward to it:bounce:

What is/are the must see spot/spots for camp/kayak fish in the Gonzaga area?. Capable 4by with camper and family.
Boondock preferable.. Looking at the almanac, and all the beaches, it seems It might be hard to find just the right spot..

TT
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 04:58 PM

papa's or pta final.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
For the First time, I will be taking Hwy 5 North on my way out in April.
Really looking forward to it:bounce:

What is/are the must see spot/spots for camp/kayak fish in the Gonzaga area?. Capable 4by with camper and family.
Boondock preferable.. Looking at the almanac, and all the beaches, it seems It might be hard to find just the right spot..

TT

hey tom a good spot is papa's campground all the way north to the point, good chance you'll have it all to yourself. or there's a couple remote spots south of bufeo if you really want to be alone.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:22 PM

Hi Thomas, if it is your first time to Gonzaga Bay, you may need some visual aid to see where the campos are... The Papa Fernandez spot mentioned above is on the outside of the bay, on the gulf side of Punta Willard. Another option is the palapa campground of Campo Beluga. Food is served at Alfonsina's, the market across from the Pemex (Rancho Grande store), and Papa Fernandez' (see photo of Papa with John Wayne, who loved it there).

Overall bay complex:

View from the gulf looking southwest:

Papa's camping spot, Punta Willard:

There may be a rope blocking the road from Papa's over to the point beach (for security).

Plus a classic map from 1962 with the historically correct bay names:

Supplies for the California missions were off loaded on the shore of San Luis Gonzaga where a stone walled warehouse was located (foundation ruinss remain)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 10:01 AM

Thank you all... Was on google earth and saw those three palapas at the north end of Papas... Looks nice.. The whole area looks nice, change is coming, want to see it now...

TT
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 10:06 AM

As you drive north, you can pop into Beluga first to check it out, and then always come back if the other site isn't what you want.

More pics at Campo Beluga: http://vivabaja.com/207/page3.html

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 04:02 PM

When I was there in the 70s eating dinner with Papa and family he was talking about the news that they were going to pave the road in from the north! :-) :-)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
When I was there in the 70s eating dinner with Papa and family he was talking about the news that they were going to pave the road in from the north! :-) :-)

They did... 40 years later... lol!

brewin

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 09:24 AM
Gonzaga to La Chapalla

Thinking of going the same way mid-April (southbound though). Done it more than a few times with just the loaded down F350, this time though I will have a camper on the back and towing my Jeep (although it's likely my wife will just follow in the Jeep to save on wear and tear on the truck). Low and slow of course ...

The area south of where the work is being done has always been problematic ... anyone travel recently think the above is a good idea or should we stick with the tried and proven (and busy) highway 1 ?
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 09:29 AM

Brewin- I just drove the road and their is no construction to worry about as of today. If you are heading south the construction ends and their are no signs of any additional construction in progress.

It's 23 miles of the last stretch of dirt road before it joins Hwy 1 and slow and go is easy-peezy. Hopefully, it takes another 10 years before they get the rest of the road done.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
I don't think it's a given that excessive speed causes washboard (I've always gone with aired down and slow myself) but it has been proven that vehicle travel over these roads is the culprit. I am on the side that it will be sad to have the big rigs air braking as they scream along this section...they coyotes need their sleep too!!!! Yet I totally understand those that will have a great new way to get south without having to lose an axle or have their teeth rattled out of their mouths.

all automotive engineers know that powered wheels slip (even on pavement). The slipping causes dirt to be scooped. The more power is used (not necessarily speed) the more washboard you will have.
High power vehicles during the off-road races cause giant washboard. The infamous whoop-de-doos.
To prove the point: dirt airstrips do not have washboard - airplane wheels are not powered.
If power/speed is kept below 25 mph washboard is rarely seen. Some of the remote ranch communities in Baja have been taught to keep the speed down to have smooth roads. Smooth roads eliminate expensive suspension repairs.
The closer you get to main highways, the more impatient people get and the more washboard you'll see.
Much more to this topic - maybe a separate thread

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 10:27 AM

Great answer Harald!

I recall in one of the old 4WD books that bad suspension (bad shocks) were to blame for creating washboard roads... The hopping of the tires... Good shocks keep tires in contact with the ground and less hopping.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Great answer Harald!

I recall in one of the old 4WD books that bad suspension (bad shocks) were to blame for creating washboard roads... The hopping of the tires... Good shocks keep tires in contact with the ground and less hopping.

lower tire pressure (blow 20 psi) will have stronger smoothing effect than shocks

Harald Pietschmann
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 08:31 AM

We just came through in a FJ Cruiser. It is an enjoyable drive for a serious off-road vehicle, but there are sections of the dirt road that are hard washboard road, and there are also rock boulders strewn around. If you take a trailer through, it should be one specifically designed for offroad use, like a Chaser or one of those things.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Great answer Harald!

lower tire pressure (blow 20 psi) will have stronger smoothing effect than shocks

Oh I agree, but not everyone has an air pump so they may not stop to deflate. Bad shocks allow the tires to bounce and that bouncing is what is the cause of washboard... so the book says.

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 4-23-2015 at 10:07 AM

I just drove the unpaved section of Hwy 5 south of Gonzaga to the intersection of Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 both directions. I drove a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and did not deflate my tires as they are filled with Nitrogen (a CostCo thing). I went down 04/15/15 and came back 04/21/15. The section I am talking about is 23 miles.

From the end of the pavement to Coco's is 9.3 miles of pretty good dirt road. There are sections that are washboard and others that are not. From Coco's to Hwy 1 is 14 miles. A mile or so out of Coco's is pretty good and they it gets a little rocky through the first set of mountains. Most of this was doable at 10 miles a hour. There are some sections one must slow down on, mostly the peaks of the road, and other sections are pretty good. Once out of the mountains towards Hwy 1 it is pretty good sailing. I made the whole trip in 1 hour and 5 minutes. No flats, nothing broke and I still have all my teeth. I met about 4 empty big rigs on this road when I was headed down and two when I was headed back, all were easy to get by when I just stopped and let let roll past.

IMG_1088.jpg - 15kB

[Edited on 4-23-2015 by wornout]

IMG_1089.jpg - 15kB

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2015 at 12:11 PM

Thank you. Any sign of construction going?

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2015 at 12:25 PM

I came through going north on the 13th.. They were building some sort of structure near the end of pavement in gonzaga... Military maybe? Dunno..on the N. side of a bigger arroyo, SOC side of hwy

TT
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-23-2015 at 01:03 PM

I understood Mexican Washboard came as seed which was spread by the most recent road grader.....It would lie dormant until just before the Gringo migration started and then explode into full growth. Most fertile spots were those about a kilometer from a tire repair place.....

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.