Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: SD to Pulmo
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 07:56 AM

Bajarich...if I may, please give some clarification for me.

The arroyo I am familiar with was close to the fish camp at Los Frailes. It was a small turn off the dirt road and the Trailers were angled in on both sides of the arroyo. This would be the north end of the bay near the govt. beach area that had outhouses raised over sand piles that emptied on the top of the sand piles. There was a small rustic oven built for the woman who use to make bread in it to sell to the residents of the arroyo. Does this sound familiar?

My question is of your notation that 'Big Vern' had passed away. We became familiar with a large man that was known as 'The Mayor' who was one of the people who came by most often and was extremely nice and caring towards us...even told us of a community well (not so good water) just beyond the fish camp a ways.

When we departed I thanked him for his kindness and expressed that I hoped we would meet again one day. This would probably be the reason I would go to Las Frailes some day...I would hope that I have not missed that opportunity.
Thanks
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 09:07 AM

Very nice report and cave paintings look amazing!

Make it a Great Day!!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 10:29 AM

Great report - great photos. Thanks.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 02:16 PM

To satisfy my own curiosity I drove to Los Frailes this morning and talked to several campers. Friends that I know that have camped there for numerous years, and by there I mean in the arroyo, pay nothing for their usage of federal property in the arroyo.

I next went into the trees, north of the trash bin, and talked to several people there. I had my dog with me and asked if was ok if she was with me. They said yes but that others tried to keep dogs from another area nearby, especially males. Again I was told that nobody pays for the usage of this area BUT this property was owned by the ranch family at the head of the arroyo, Marron/Fiol. The family no longer lives there full time as they have moved into town for educating their children. Campers continue to store some of their equipment during the summers at the ranch for a fee. The ranch puts on the occasional dinner and the many campers support these dinners partly out of thanks for the generosity of the family.

It appears that several produce vendors visit Los Frailes for the sole purpose of selling vegetables, a good thing for all concerned.

I believe that this is all accurate or close. In the past the Cabo Pulmo Marine Park employees have asked/directed campers to not park their boats near the water. A good friend had a dead man he had buried to assist him in getting his boat out of the water confiscated by the Park's people. All in all it seems that there isn't any big controversies going on and this remains a beautiful location for those that want to be away from civilization a bit.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 11:05 PM

paranewbi, Yes it was Big Vern who was know as the Mayor of the trees, and yes, sad to say he did pass last Feb, or March while we were camped in the arroyo. He became very weak, I think it was congestive heart failure, and was flown back to Canada to his family where he passed. He was a very nice fellow, and seemed to be the one who put together the dinners up at Rancho San Antonio.

floatflyer, thanks for your research on Los Frailes, What you discovered is in line with what I know. I'm headed down to Los Frailes my self, crossing next week.

[Edited on 1-17-2015 by bajarich]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.