Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Commercial Fishing in the Sea of Cortez
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 11:42 AM
Commercial Fishing in the Sea of Cortez

I've moved this post here to separate it from another thread about Pta. Chivato 'back-in-the-day'. Just a matter of staying on subject. One has nothing to do with the other and I don't want to do an injustice to Pta. Chivato. It's something I should have noticed when originally writing this, but better late than never.

[Commercial fishing in the SOC. A national shame.

Sadly we always had way, way too many shrimpers, seiners, and draggers operating in the Sea of Cortez. These guys were busy back-in-the-day stealing the future of the Sea of Cortez. Compared to then, today the sea is like a barren desert. No surprise to anyone, there was way too much greed and corruption in the commercial fish business and it's still happening today. A nation that will not follow it's own laws and address its problems will not endure. I loathe getting on a soapbox, but it seems to be a necessity at times.

It was July in the 1980s near Mulege-Sta. Rosalia and the yellowfin tuna were just offshore in huge numbers. It seemed that the surface was alive with them almost everywhere you looked. If you saw porpoise moving on the surface, all you had to do was quickly troll a feather through them...and the tuna that were always found below the porpoise would inhale the feather. FISH ON! We had tuna steaks, sushi, fillets, you name it. The radio talk amongst sportfishers was alive with tuna reports. I fear all that radio talk got to ears on the mainland....because before long.....

Here are sights we came upon one fateful and sad day.

TUNA SEINERS ...with helicopter spotters and net-stringing boats.

You can see some of the netted tuna being hauled up in the net. A few we watched were crushed by the pulley at the top and wasted. It made one cringe. A bunch of us homeowners made 2 trips to La Paz back then to speak with the governor about this calamity, but both times our talk fell on deaf ears. Our protests just did not count for anything...a waste of time and breath.

Here a sportfisherman pulls alongside to ask for or buy a tuna. Catching them by angling was already so rare as to be improbable and this fellow said they had been skunked all day up to this point.

These SOBs took hundreds of tons of tuna every day until they finally decimated the whole area. Completely denuded of tuna...and a helluva lot of incidental bycatch. We tried sportfishing for a week or two after they had taken their tonnages and disappeared. We caught nada. That was the last great tuna migration in that part of the sea. Nothing since has compared to it. Such a loss is deeply shameful and criminal, but there is no shame to these greedy destroyers.

The following is from an article by Sea Watch.

The Problem: Destruction of the Sea of Cortez... "Owned by All Mexicans and Managed by None"

The Sea of Cortez, one of the most unique and diverse seas in the world, is on the brink of collapse. At one time, this stretch of water produced more protein per cubic meter than any other sea in the world. Today, its fish stocks have been decimated.
Fish populations in the Sea of Cortez have decreased by more than 90% since the 1960s with the advent of new commercial fishing methods & technology. The reduction of fish stocks in the Sea of Cortez has followed a similar trajectory as almost all of the world's oceans. As the recent Myers-Worm study showed, the biomass of large predators (i.e. tuna and billfish) are typically reduced by 80% within 15 years of the start of commercial exploitation. The Sea of Cortez is no different - only 5-10% of it's original large fish stocks remain.

The Sea of Cortez is the only major body of water in the world entirely under the control of one government, and it seems a fisherman working in its waters can fish for anything he wants, using any method (gear type) he wants, at any time of year, and catch as much as he wants. How a govenment can think this is a sustanable way to maintain a fishery is beyond comprehension.

Nets kill porpoise, shark, turtles, whales, and whatever gets untangled in the damn nets. Mburros and mburros of bycatch thrown back as garbage for the birds. Unique even in today's dessimation of the seas, this is an unbelievable waste of a resource. What the hell is the matter with their thinking and where is a plan for the future of the next generation?

These are some alarming facts about how the fishery is managed.

Striped Marlin: down by 50-60% over the last 15 years
The average size in Cabo San Lucas is down from 160 to 110 pounds (Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission just admitted that striped marlin are being fished at twice their sustainable rate. This admission came only after they split the striped marlin into a northern and a southern population)

Tuotova: Nearly Extinct

Turtles: Endangered

Shrimp: Down dramatically. Now they weigh the whole shrimp instead of just the tails to preserve the illusion that catches remain high.

Sardines: One billion pounds a year were taken; now all Guaymas canneries are gone.

Grouper: Commercially extinct.

Yellowtail: Down dramatically. Loreto was the yellow tail capital of the world, two seiners destroyed them in two weeks.

Thresher Sharks: Extinct

Pacific Manta: Dramatically reduced

Whale Sharks: Divers haven't seen them in large numbers for many years in the Sea of Cortez

I hate to end on such a sour note. But, it might not be too late, let's all try our best to help bring back the Sea of Cortez.
Your comments and suggestions...pro or con...are welcomed.

Thank God, the other good things about Baja far outnumber the bad.

Viva Baja!

Within this post I have copied and pasted responses from Nomads on the commercial fishing theme.

Martyman
Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Get up on that soapbox brother. We're listening! It is the right message.

AndyP
Quote: Originally posted by AndyP  
Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Fish populations in the Sea of Cortes have decreased by more than 90% since the 1960s with the advent of new commercial fishing methods & technology. The reduction of fish stocks in the Sea of Cortes has followed a similar trajectory as almost all of the world's oceans.

Thanks Pompano, you make me nostalgic for a time before I was born- you really should publish a book. I too am glad you're bringing attention to the health of the sea and the over-fishing going on. To think about what has happened in just the last 50 years is very scary, and if anyone wants to really get depressed just do a little research into the amount of plastic accumulating in the world's oceans and working its way up the food chain to... us. Lately I've been wondering about the many lost golden ages I might be describing to folks thirty years from now.

Anyway some of the best months of my life have been spent on long sea kayaking trips on the Sea of Cortez. I took this photo somewhere between El Barril and Santa Rosalia last May. This boat was headed in to anchor in a bay with four other similar sized fishing boats; you can't really tell from the picture but it was producing an incredibly large cloud of smokey black and yellow exhaust, extending literally for miles. I hate to think about the damage they were doing beneath the water.

[Edited on 1-17-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 01:24 PM

It's not only the big trawlers and seine boats wiping out the pelagics doing the damage. How 'bout all the local gill netters destroying the inshore reef fish stocks? The hooka divers? Really a sad situation. I'm done with it. Returned to my childhood fishing grounds. More fish and the future is promising.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 01:48 PM

Remember the late 70's, 80's and early 90's fondly. Fish everywhere in abundance. Yellowtail, Tuna, Dorado, Grouper, Pargo, Cabrilla, not to mention the large varieties of rock fish. First the Tuna disappeared, followed by Spanish mackerel, which used to be around in huge schools during the summer.
Grouper are a rarity any longer and Pargo and Cabrilla are getting harder to find.

However, the new comers, who never have experienced those days, still believe the fishing is very good and often rave about it.
So if you're not familiar with those bygone days you won't miss them and that's good for them.

I sold my boat and don't fish anymore, fishing not the reason but my aging bod.:no::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 03:38 PM

That kind of profit taking without concern for the planet, for the future, for long term sustainability, or for the environment is doing a quantitatively historically unprecedented amount of damage in such a short amount of time. The only real and practical way to realistically stop the horrendous damage is for the Mexican government to do its job and that won't happen unless and until the people of Mexico wake up, open their eyes, stop accepting government corruption as normalcy, and vote for good government.

I don't see that happening any time soon. It is true that people get the government they deserve.

In my view, it's over.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 04:08 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with the rule makers being of a certain age that they don't care or relate to the future of the resource. They have (or are getting) what they want out of this life (bribes, money) and they simply don't have a concern about the future of sportfishing. Their life will be over before the resource is gone. Why would they care about fishing when they will be dead and buried. To a degree I can understand...consider tigers in china or elephants in Africa. I will never go there and search for them in nature. How will their disappearance affect my life in SoCal or Baja? Unless one is an environmentalist what stake do they have in this? I care about the ocean because I love the ocean and love fishing. I want it to continue. They simply don't have the same interests and the money in their government budget or pocket means more to them.
Johannes
Nomad

Mood: I love it in Loreto

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 04:43 PM

http://sidepi.conapesca.gob.mx:8080/CapturaDenuncia.jsp
Report the illigal fishing online to the above web site
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 05:39 PM

I read Stienbeck's "Log From The Sea of Cortes" one fall day years ago while at Santispac. He was outraged by the overfishing of the Japanese back in 1940. They took everything they could net or scrape off of the bottom. Is there a huge financial incentive for the government to allow commercial fishing, or is it a payoff to a few higher-ups? All very sad.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 06:32 PM

This just West of the mouth of Bahia Concepcion. Only 4 or 5 years ago. That day there were 18 seiners off the mouth. A year earlier there were 22 of them and within 24 hours all but 6 setting in front of my place had gone and with them a huge amount of the future stocks.

And of course a couple hundred of these have depleted all hopes of the beautiful reef fishes recovery.

Today there are fewer nets at most times of the year. However if there is a rumor of a fish run the netters of all descriptions show up to decimate the fish run.
Realize that I am only seeing what happens in front of me so I have a very narrow view of the fishery. But for Gods sake, if Mexico can not protect a place named Bahia Concepcion is there hope for other areas?
edit; sake for sack

[Edited on 1-16-2015 by Russ]

[Edited on 1-16-2015 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 06:46 PM

Russ, ("for Gods sack") the answer is a resounding "NO". I'm sure you've toured around Concepcion (I wintered there 15+ years). The HUGE midden piles of little catarina shells testify the destruction that won't come back.... ask Easter Island. It's toast. So's the SOC now. We can beat our fists into the sand and wail and lament, but it's a done deal, just like the polar caps, Greenland, and humanity in general.

We must still be diligent..... go ahead and report to
http://sidepi.conapesca.gob.mx:8080/CapturaDenuncia.jsp
and let them tell you :"thank you, but we have no one in that area right now".

Here's to the good old daze, because today is the good old days. Just enjoy what you have, and enjoy what little you have left. I for one am thankful I didn't propogate. The buck stops HERE.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 07:31 PM

It'd be nice if they left us a few spotties and triggerfish to catch off the beaches and rocks. Wonder if it's too much to ask for the next decade...or a half...or a couple of years. The by catch tragedy has me worried. and frustrated.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 11:44 AM

The data keeps coming in but is anyone listening?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/science/earth/study-raises...
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
The data keeps coming in but is anyone listening?

you must be referencing the flat-earthers, who know there's a skydaddy that really controls weather et al!!!?) ;);)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 07:06 PM

We could use the deniers (people who deny everything) logic and say "it is the way it is....people have been fishing forever. How can we change what God has us doing."
worldsaquarium

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 07:09 PM

About two months ago I sailed over to Punta Pulpito then up the coast to Santo Domingo and eventually Chivato, technically Santa Ines and anchored right in front of the ramp.

We caught two skip jacks early morning a few miles off San Ildefonso and not one single fish after that on the way back north. I saw no bird action and only one small pod of Dolphins just south of punta Concepcion.

There is no doubt things have gotten worse but I still believe there is hope. Down in Manzanillo tomorrow afternoon Mexican Sport Fisherman are going to burn their fishing permits under the Sail fish monument in protest to the illegal long line fishery for dorado and sailfish that exists in the area and the governments refusal to stop it.

The blog post is below on Manzanillo, the first link has a better photo gallery of Manzanillo. I hope that this will be just the beginning of Mexicans fighting for conservation of their marine resources.

http://sancarlos.tv/sport-fisherman-in-manzanillo-in-the-sta...

http://worldsaquarium.com/blog/sport-fisherman-in-manzanillo...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 07:16 PM

good start...Maybe there aught to be a moratorium on all fishing fr a while, sport fishing included. Easier to enforce. Then a gradual return after the fishery comes back.

Quote: Originally posted by worldsaquarium  
About two months ago I sailed over to Punta Pulpito then up the coast to Santo Domingo and eventually Chivato, technically Santa Ines and anchored right in front of the ramp.

We caught two skip jacks early morning a few miles off San Ildefonso and not one single fish after that on the way back north. I saw no bird action and only one small pod of Dolphins just south of punta Concepcion.

There is no doubt things have gotten worse but I still believe there is hope. Down in Manzanillo tomorrow afternoon Mexican Sport Fisherman are going to burn their fishing permits under the Sail fish monument in protest to the illegal long line fishery for dorado and sailfish that exists in the area and the governments refusal to stop it.

The blog post is below on Manzanillo, the first link has a better photo gallery of Manzanillo. I hope that this will be just the beginning of Mexicans fighting for conservation of their marine resources.

http://sancarlos.tv/sport-fisherman-in-manzanillo-in-the-sta...

http://worldsaquarium.com/blog/sport-fisherman-in-manzanillo...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 07:27 PM

"Destruction of the Sea of Cortez... "Owned by All Mexicans and Managed by None"

Sad but true. :no:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 09:30 AM

Sadly, things have gotten to the point that I'm thinking rts551 has the right idea. Shutting down ALL FISHING may be the only way to bring back the SOC. I was originally totally against the restrictions along the CA coast, because I felt the "rod and reel' guy wasn't the actual cause of the decline in fish stocks. We really weren't, but were only a small contributing factor. BUT from an enforcement point of view, it was in reality easier to shut off everything, within certain fairly large key areas around the islands and along the coast. Now things are coming back up here, the stocks are rebounding, and efforts to set limits and seasons are easier to enforce, because people are used to the idea of restrictions. It would take a few years, but would totally be worth it to save what was once a truly amazing area from becoming a saltwater desert.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 10:55 AM

WHY ARE THERE STILL COMMERCIALS TAKING FISH OUT OF THE SEA OF CORTEZ??????????????.

For 38 years I lived and fished the Sea mostly from Mulege south to Santa Catlina.

I cannot agree that the Sea of Cortez will ever be "Ruined".

It will never stop being good fishing unless someone blocks the Sea from the East Cape to the Mainland!!!!
!7 years I owned and operated a Panga from loreto and San Nicholas. Yes I observed the taking of nearly all the Sierra and their comeback ,after the Sierra were takin the yellowtail moved out to deeper waters, watched the large school of Yellow being taken , I observed them coming back usually on a 3 year Cycle. All you have to do is watch the number of Commercials coiming back when reports come in that the Fish have returned from where ever they go when they leave the Sea,

No! The Sea is overfished in some areas but will never be
Ruined".

Anytime I can go out of Loreto and catch all the fish i can eat and some for my mexicano Friends,
It does seem sometimes that this isa a "global Warming"
type scare Tatic when you see who is behind the various articles.

Don't ever give up on the Cortez Go Fishing even if it takes a little longer to find the fish.

skeet/Loreto

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.