Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 09:27 AM
P.E.T.A.

People Eating Tasty Animals..........:lol:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 09:48 AM

Eating is a basic need. Can't get around that one very easily. I'm sure, however, that the biblical god never envisioned warehouses of crates with chickens packed into pens waiting to become food. There's something very wrong with that. But I can't envision man eating synthetic food either.

But something even more appaling that will some day be replaced is the testing we do on animals in order to get safe medicine. Injecting living things with viruses and pathogens and measuring their rate of deterioration is just nightmarish. Surely there will be another way some day. And that's all modern man. Man at his moral best.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is really sad how negative things have become in the past 6 or so years. We are losing so much hope and faith in the things that used to bring us together as a nation. We are far more divided and polarized. I long for an administration that unites our country instead of dividing, grouping, 'special interesting' everyone.

Very well said, David. I agree totally with you.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
It is really sad how negative things have become in the past 6 or so years. We are losing so much hope and faith in the things that used to bring us together as a nation. We are far more divided and polarized. I long for an administration that unites our country instead of dividing, grouping, 'special interesting' everyone.

Barry

These kind of generalized statements are nonsense when there are no specifics. Plain and simple nonsense; just feel good sound bytes.

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by DianaT]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Eating is a basic need. Can't get around that one very easily. I'm sure, however, that the biblical god never envisioned warehouses of crates with chickens packed into pens waiting to become food. There's something very wrong with that. But I can't envision man eating synthetic food either.

But something even more appaling that will some day be replaced is the testing we do on animals in order to get safe medicine. Injecting living things with viruses and pathogens and measuring their rate of deterioration is just nightmarish. Surely there will be another way some day. And that's all modern man. Man at his moral best.

Us animal eaters will soon have our flesh and eat it too---they're getting laboratory raised steaks tastier all the time---a few companies working on them---real meat but muscles grown en masse without the conscious overlord being whisked away.
Agree on animal testing and hope the grand digitized mock-up of a human being that somebody is working on(consortium based in Germany?) will eventually be able to model drug and chemical efficacies/dangers via computer---cheaper and faster than currently done and the mouse lives.
So there is hope....of course all that will have some awful downside we haven't thought of yet....but hey, this is duality, what'd you expect? :rolleyes:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 11:40 AM

Yep, lab raised food was exactly what I was alluding too. Fast forward 500 years and I bet we'll be eating lab grown carne asada. Sorry for the hijack. This has nothing to do with strange supernatural Junipero.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Yep, lab raised food was exactly what I was alluding too. Fast forward 500 years and I bet we'll be eating lab grown carne asada. Sorry for the hijack. This has nothing to do with strange supernatural Junipero.

Shoot, he is probably levitating somewhere amused by it all.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

These kind of generalized statements are nonsense when there are no specifics. Plain and simple nonsense; just feel good sound bytes.

Oh kind of like 'Hope and Change' ??? :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 11:55 AM

Oh kind of like 'Hope and Change' ??? :lol:

Good to see you admit that your statement was total nonsense.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 12:06 PM

Likewise Diana ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 12:08 PM

Barry

Nonsense to you, perhaps, but not to other Conservatives------we know exactly what we mean.

I have noticed that when Progressives make statements for consumption by other Progressives, often we Conservatives shake out heads in dismay, and in my case often barely have a clue what they are talking about, or just plain disagree.

Our ramblings on NOMADS reminds me of Congress, often with similar results!

However, I am reassured by watching Congress on C-Span, and see that the "system" is operating as planned, for the most part.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 12:21 PM

Barry

Nonsense to you, perhaps, but not to other Conservatives------we know exactly what we mean.

I have noticed that when Progressives make statements for consumption by other Progressives, often we Conservatives shake out heads in dismay, and in my case often barely have a clue what they are talking about, or just plain disagree.

However, I am reassured by watching Congress on C-Span, and see that the "system" is operating as planned, for the most part.

Barry

Total nonsense Barry. Statements like that are open to lots of interpretations in the minds of the readers. There is NOTHING of value in such sound bytes. And yes, statements like Hope and Change are in the same category as is Let's take our country back.

All have NO meaning unless there are specifics laid out, or they can mean anything the reader cares to make of the nonsense.

One could make an entire list of nonsensical political statements; just read lots of bumper stickers.

David's statement is the same -- nonsense and shoot, even he admitted it. It is all subject to interpretation by the reader --- no substance, just a feel good statement for some; or not.

On edit --- just another thought --- almost everyone one of the current political sound bytes could be adopted by any of the several political parties, from the American Independent Party to the Green Party and used as they interpret it, or just a a feel good statement to rally the troops. The same is true for David's nonsense. It could be used by all sides and people would understand it differently.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 12:35 PM

Regarding J Serra. What about canonizing the man for what he did in the historical context of his time. Another words judge him and give him credit for what he did in his time.

There is no question he would have acted differently in our generation. But so what? If we're going to have to find someone that fully stands up to the test of time, being moral from 3000BC to 3000AD, there will never be saints. Because the criteria for sainthood changes with time. The only true saints are the ones here and now. And 300 years hence they will be laughing at our choice.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 12:46 PM

Barry

Barry

Total nonsense Barry. Statements like that are open to lots of interpretations in the minds of the readers. There is NOTHING of value in such sound bytes. And yes, statements like Hope and Change are in the same category as is Let's take our country back.

All have NO meaning unless there are specifics laid out, or they can mean anything the reader cares to make of the nonsense.

One could make an entire list of nonsensical political statements; just read lots of bumper stickers.

David's statement is the same -- nonsense and shoot, even he admitted it. It is all subject to interpretation by the reader --- no substance, just a feel good statement for some; or not.

On edit --- just another thought --- almost everyone one of the current political sound bytes could be adopted by any of the several political parties, from the American Independent Party to the Green Party and used as they interpret it, or just a a feel good statement to rally the troops. The same is true for David's nonsense. It could be used by all sides and people would understand it differently.

Other than your branding of "total nonsense", I agree with the rest of your statement. Few of us have time to lay out the complexities of what we mean---------like "bumper stickers", these simple statements hopefully provide support to those we think we agree with, and most of us know that.

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 01:08 PM

Regarding J Serra. What about canonizing the man for what he did in the historical context of his time. Another words judge him and give him credit for what he did in his time.

There is no question he would have acted differently in our generation. But so what? If we're going to have to find someone that fully stands up to the test of time, being moral from 3000BC to 3000AD, there will never be saints. Because the criteria for sainthood changes with time. The only true saints are the ones here and now. And 300 years hence they will be laughing at our choice.

A very wise statement, SkipJack.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 01:18 PM

Barry

I think we should do like the Greeks and just create more gods! Heck, why not skip that sainthood state. If they are capable of miracles, surely they should be a god!

And yes, the only real saints are alive and well.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 04:21 PM

Barry

I think we should do like the Greeks and just create more gods! Heck, why not skip that sainthood state. If they are capable of miracles, surely they should be a god!

Ummm....Don't know about that. They didn't make it to the Super Bowl. I heard they have a Linebacker called Junie Sierra, though. Around New Orleans the call him a god. If he makes an interception next year I hear they will canonize him. :wow:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 04:39 PM

"I think we should do like the Greeks and just create more gods! Heck, why not skip that sainthood state. If they are capable of miracles, surely they should be a god!"

Sorry, Diana T. Already done; the Mormons beatcha to it.

"As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become".

Just a little Hooey trivia for your enjoyment. :bounce:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:41 PM

Barry

Although I totally got away from any religious beliefs at 14 and have never gone back I do have a lot of polytheism raging around me.

The brass, grass, bamboo, hundreds of pounds of crystals and the printed icons; a 5' X 8' oil painting of two snakes intertwined and surrounded by turtles, butterflies,...the bleeding heart of Jesus posted on the inside of the laundry closet (THAT freaked me out the first time), all make for a rather busy house and yard. (I mean a 4' granite Buddha?) Two Granite FOO dogs guarding the front door.

She began to explain to me once the significance of the large brass figure with an elephant nose and five arms, or the Buddha that looks like Jabba The Hut with a gaggle of kids in his lap and I guess I just looked so vacant about the whole deal that she gave up.

The Feng Shui lady (after getting rid of the two ghosts that were residing here. Fortunately one was cool and the other a 'mean' ghost so they canceled each other out) suggested a large succulent be planted at each corner of the front of the house.

The neighbors must think we are big time dopers as she bundles up some kind of dry plant stems, lights them off and leaves them to smolder in the house and yard. (I imagine the neighbors in this hood have their own thing going though also).

But, everyone to their own trip I guess.

I know I would be defined as an atheist, which I object to. Why do we have to be defined as an anything? I don't BELIEVE in a God! I do not not BELIEVE in a God. Has nothing to do with my life but the actions of others and the absurdities inherent in BELIEF have sure influenced all societies.

Again. What does not exist is more difficult to prove than what does exist.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

Although I totally got away from any religious beliefs at 14 and have never gone back I do have a lot of polytheism raging around me.

The brass, grass, bamboo, hundreds of pounds of crystals and the printed icons; a 5' X 8' oil painting of two snakes intertwined and surrounded by turtles, butterflies,...the bleeding heart of Jesus posted on the inside of the laundry closet (THAT freaked me out the first time), all make for a rather busy house and yard. (I mean a 4' granite Buddha?) Two Granite FOO dogs guarding the front door.

She began to explain to me once the significance of the large brass figure with an elephant nose and five arms, or the Buddha that looks like Jabba The Hut with a gaggle of kids in his lap and I guess I just looked so vacant about the whole deal that she gave up.

The Feng Shui lady (after getting rid of the two ghosts that were residing here. Fortunately one was cool and the other a 'mean' ghost so they canceled each other out) suggested a large succulent be planted at each corner of the front of the house.

The neighbors must think we are big time dopers as she bundles up some kind of dry plant stems, lights them off and leaves them to smolder in the house and yard. (I imagine the neighbors in this hood have their own thing going though also).

But, everyone to their own trip I guess.

I know I would be defined as an atheist, which I object to. Why do we have to be defined as an anything? I don't BELIEVE in a God! I do not not BELIEVE in a God. Has nothing to do with my life but the actions of others and the absurdities inherent in BELIEF have sure influenced all societies.

Again. What does not exist is more difficult to prove than what does exist.

I tend to lean heavily toward Pantheism, so in many ways, I believe or spirits, just not in an anthropomorphic god. Thus I find saints and personal gods created in the image of man rather silly. But, if it remains harmless, so be it.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.