Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: so what's with the Mulege River Project / Dam
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 09:50 AM
so what's with the Mulege River Project / Dam

Looking for input on what was learned from the last storm / flood and what current plans are underway on the diversion / Dam project for Mulege.
I have seen many posts pre Odiel touting the benefits and work in progress at that time. Not so much after the last flood.

[Edited on 1-17-2015 by wetto]

Lee S
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 10:31 AM

I doubt any more money will ever be spent on that project. It was such a failure and there are many more places which will get higher priority. My opinion only....And I suspect that by breaking up the surface soil in the mountains and losing it all down river during odile, the situation may have been worsened...Hope I am wrong..

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 05:25 PM

Let's hope it works. Odile was certainly the muddiest flood so far. Lots of debris in the first pulse of flood water compared to previous floods. Hard not to think that it was due digging up there.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Let's hope it works. Odile was certainly the muddiest flood so far. Lots of debris in the first pulse of flood water compared to previous floods. Hard not to think that it was due digging up there.

Bingo!
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 08:10 AM

There are 2 loaders and 4 dump trucks clearing the ditch that is parallel to Ice House Road. They have been making it deeper and wider for 2 months. That dirt is being dumped in a field on a near by rancho.
Rumor is that this will lower the flood level in the area before the bridge.

On another note...3 or 4 trucks are constantly bring dirt to repair the north river road.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 08:15 AM

Thank you!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 08:45 AM

Of course this will certainly have a wonderful effect on the floods down here in gringolandia.

Oh, well. I am planning on emptying EVERYTHING out this year right down to the breakers and ceiling fans and having the doors removed as any storm gets near. Wash and wear housing.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 10:23 AM

Good idea.
Easy in - Easy out.
Plug and Play

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 07:32 AM

I wonder if anyone did any math before they started on the "Ditch"? It would seem that to even dent the amount of water volume coming down the river in the time period of the flood, the ditch would have to contain about 2/3rds of the volume?

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 08:01 AM

Chuckie, the math is done in pesos!

Let's go get a beer at El Patron; by the time you get here the beach may be whole again. Was only 6" deep at low tide yesterday.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 09:49 AM

Like the plan, Al.....should be there 1st week in February...Maybe we could have 2 beers?

cervezafrio

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 10:42 AM

Is wishful thinking allowed? Any plans for below the bridge improvements? It is a do every thing or nothing will work. One item will not solve the equation. Water flow reduction, diversion, storage, plus water flow control, channels, deep river dredging. As W-airstream says 'easy in easy out'. Then some hurricane diversion events for the creative thinkers........ if that does not work I hear there are some nice 55 and older, gated, condo's in Florida.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 11:19 AM

Until there is some fairly serious dredging in the estuary, there will be flooding in South Gringolandia. I am just planning on it and working constantly at improving the water survival characteristics of my house. Including planting more palms in front as they have the best root systems of all.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 02:27 PM

Until there is some fairly serious dredging in the estuary, there will be flooding in South Gringolandia. I am just planning on it and working constantly at improving the water survival characteristics of my house. Including planting more palms in front as they have the best root systems of all.

Ummm....you might want to rethink your palm tree theory, Gulliver:

100_0600 [DVD (NTSC)].JPG - 37kB
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cervezafrio  
Is wishful thinking allowed? Any plans for below the bridge improvements? It is a do every thing or nothing will work. One item will not solve the equation. Water flow reduction, diversion, storage, plus water flow control, channels, deep river dredging. As W-airstream says 'easy in easy out'. Then some hurricane diversion events for the creative thinkers........ if that does not work I hear there are some nice 55 and older, gated, condo's in Florida.

...yeh,I'm with you on that 'do everything or nothing will work' theory. There's -nothing- they can do out back that'll significantly effect the flow through Mulege.
...perhaps one of these will help,,but yer better add higher walls....

[Edited on 1-19-2015 by micah202]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 03:23 PM

Where will the money come from? So much has been spent already to no effect, I suspect the dredging of the river was for naught, with all the silt from Odile...The BIG tourist centers will likely get priority for the next few years...Reality....

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 03:46 PM

....^^....concrete cheap in Mexico,no?

...or some political buddy gets a nice kickback for bad work:biggrin:?
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 04:42 PM

Palm trees are no panacea but two things:

That picture was, I believe, taken in The Orchard which took such a hit that whole houses disappeared. There is no defense against such a rush of water short of a Dutch solution or something like New Orleans.

My existing palms had a pronounced effect on the erosion. The house up stream from me with no palms lost half of the road in front. I escaped with minimal effects. From erosion, I mean.

Besides, I like palm trees and they are cheap. Two of them are holding up my Ham Radio antenna right now.

[Edited on 1-19-2015 by Gulliver]
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 06:08 PM

Palm trees are no panacea but two things:

That picture was, I believe, taken in The Orchard which took such a hit that whole houses disappeared. There is no defense against such a rush of water short of a Dutch solution or something like New Orleans.

My existing palms had a pronounced effect on the erosion. The house up stream from me with no palms lost half of the road in front. I escaped with minimal effects. From erosion, I mean.

Besides, I like palm trees and they are cheap. Two of them are holding up my Ham Radio antenna right now.

[Edited on 1-19-2015 by Gulliver]

Regarding the Orchard photo, this is true, Gulliver! That was my casita after Jimena. Also, at the beginning of the Orchard where the river jumps the shore line at the curve, huge, mature palms that were planted by the Jesuits were uprooted too. They came through the Orchard like battering rams.

I agree, Palm Trees are beautiful! More important for protection though, is the stability of the ground immediately beneath your house as the water swirls in. The houses that were totaled collapsed into giant holes as the ground eroded beneath them. That was our experience with the houses that were set back from the river banks.

Right along the river though, most of those houses were wiped out by the water's force broadsiding them.

The majority of the Orchard houses that didn't collapse, and were set back from river's edge were salvageable.

In my opinion, the current project at the base of the mountains will not help. During huge hurricanes the storms tend to stall out over the area. There is simply too much water cascading down the arroyos. That kind of water comes with too much force.

I can handle differing opinions, if they come, and can only hope I am wrong. Best of luck to you all.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 06:43 PM
wetto....I sent a U2U message

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.