Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Trash-to-art clean up project
Skye

eureka.gif posted on 1-23-2015 at 12:05 PM
Baja Trash-to-art clean up project

Hola amigos!

My name is Skye and I am heading into Baja, Mexico to devote 33 days to collecting trash along the Mex 1 highway to transform it into art and then transport it for disposal.

I am looking for 198 people who want to sponsor one hour of the 198 hours I will be collecting trash in order to fund the mission. I am also open to people joining me on the ground, wherever you are!

I have a pledge drive going at www.youcaring.com/trashtransformation with more details about the journey, back story, and ways to help if you are interested in supporting and sharing. There are fun perks for those who help as well!

You can see my past "nature art" work here http://iamskyedreamer.imgur.com/

In gratitude,
Skye
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 01:10 PM

best of luck on the mission! where is the start/stop point? when? what do you do with the huge amount of trash you plan to collect? you can't make art out of all of it, can you?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 01:25 PM

:bounce:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skye

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 01:57 PM

Thanks and great questions!
I am going to be somewhere around El Rosario, the exact spot I won't know until I get there and scope it out. I will be heading south (currently in San Diego) as soon as enough of the funds are generated through the campaign, hopefully soon! I am starting the trash collection today, just where I am with what I have :)
I am going to collect it into garbage bags and use the different coloured bags to make the art (easier to collect and keep in one spot in the bags). So they will be big designs with the full bags, then the trash is ready to transport for disposal somewhere else. That step has yet to fully form but I am trusting in the help of local communities on that end.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 02:11 PM

Is this art...or ecology? PLease don't say both. Disgust and Love don't mix well.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Skye

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 02:44 PM

It's repurposing my creative gifts into service for people and the planet. Combining two things that I love to do into one project :) Art is life. My chosen art uses the environment available around me to create.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 04:16 PM

What were previous purposes of your creative gifts.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 11:58 AM

I loved the leaves at the bottom of the trees.....just gorgeous.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Is this art...or ecology? PLease don't say both. Disgust and Love don't mix well.

Dennis,
Some refer to the form as "ephemeral art". It is usually done with natural objects and only meant to last for a short period of time. I've personally never seen it done with trash, the kind we see in baja. I am having a hard time visualizing plastic bags, dirty diapers, soiled t.p., syringes, bottles and TKT cans arranged in an artistic fashion. Good on him for wanting to help the environment though.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Skye

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 04:59 PM

Great question! I have had a few asking about the art. My main intention is to collect the trash for proper disposal, so I will be putting it all into large garbage bags (also helps keep it in one place) and then arranging the full bags into designs and patterns on the desert ground to take a picture of from higher above. I will be using different coloured bags to create an artistic pattern :)

Then it is ready for easy transportation and disposal. But the first step is to collect it!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 05:03 PM

Sounds awesome.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 05:28 PM

Take lots of fotos and let us see them. Best of luck

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.