Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So Cal Beach Camping
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 05:22 PM
So Cal Beach Camping

Ok, I am very familiar with Oceanside, but I am thinking of doing beach camping in So Cal

I have looked at Bolsa Chica, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, other than David Kia, about a great on the water location.
I can go during the week as The group is wetired

Let me know

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 05:25 PM

how far north would you be interested in?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 05:47 PM

San Elijo

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 05:52 PM

I shudder to think what California State Beach camping costs these days. I haven't been to Doheny since 2007 and it was pricey back then.

But it is a great location. Good walking distance to lots of good restaurants and bars. Whale watching, half day fishing right there. No surf anymore, though.

Well, there were good restaurants back then. What ever became of the harbor "revitalization plan"? They were talking about razing the buildings that housed Harpoon Henry's, Wind and Sea, El Torito, etc.

And, most importantly, is Turks still there?????

Sorry for the partial 'jacking, Cortez, but this is important to any recommendation for Doheny State Beach. It IS a good camping option, by itself, though.

[Edited on 1-24-2015 by Hook]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 05:54 PM

On the beach? ON the beach, thornhill broom in Vta County is the only place I know where you camp on the sand.

TT
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 06:20 PM

San Diego County has 70 miles of beautiful white-sand beaches fronting the Pacific Ocean, and two large bays that afford plenty of recreational opportunities as well. But overnight camping on ocean beaches within the city limits is expressly verboten, and of the state park beaches that line the North County coast just two permit camping--and only on designated bluff-top campgrounds, not the actual sand. A third state beach in South County has campsites for motor homes only. At all three campgrounds, reservations can be made up to seven months in advance. A fourth beach-camping option is a private campground on Mission Bay.
Read the rest here:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/camping-san-diego-beaches-2643.html

Bob Durrell
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 06:24 PM

I'm with you Soulpatch but that was along time ago. We Raged at Isla Vista in 69 and found all those beaches and Camino Cielo waiting for us to enjoy! Don't think carp Beach is easy to get into any more. Goleta? Good luck. Suerte. Tio
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 06:47 PM

McGrath is closed indefinitely.. Thornhill may be closed now to because of the PCH closure. Not sure.
For carp you better be way in advance and ready for wall to wall mohos

TT

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 07:12 PM

hey wtf! everyone left out hobson's and faria! its January, the nice time of year, all the tourists are there for the summer gloom!:coolup:
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 07:20 PM

If its open I'd check out San Onofre... not too crowded. Course its a little bit of a walk to the beach but its empty. San Elijo is usually packed but cool for sure. What about Carlsbad ?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 09:09 PM
The Hard Facts !!!

I myself have checked/camped any/and all S/Cal poor excuses for camp spots......THEY ALL SUCK !! maybe do Silver Strand and get up at 3;45 AM and shoot SUR !! (south)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
I myself have checked/camped any/and all S/Cal poor excuses for camp spots......THEY ALL SUCK !!

You support all your absurd opinions with bloviated boasts that you have done it all, seen it all, more times than anyone ever before. What a crock of chit!

Anywho, for the OP, try out san o, silver strand, Carlsbad. These places only suck if captkw's and his pooch have not cleaned up their poop.

Capt, Curb your dog!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 09:51 PM
goat

done sliver strand to winter haven and any place you can think of!! S>cal SUCKS for camp spots SIR !!! I don't want to debate with your small camping times..but LETS get real !!! you have how many months as a camper ??
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 10:35 PM

I myself have checked/camped any/and all S/Cal poor excuses for camp spots......THEY ALL SUCK !! maybe do Silver Strand and get up at 3;45 AM and shoot SUR !! (south)

Facts? Opinions! Silver Strand does suck in my opinion.

Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 12:24 AM

Pismo. You can still drive the beach and pick a spot. Pretty far north though.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 07:47 AM
SOCAL

Carlsbad is about the best you can find....on the east side of the 5 is a county park,,but no pets .....east of the big S.D.before Tecate is a windy camp called............pachaco or something like that...some folks go to school,collage and watch TV...some folks spend a life out on the road,river,lakes,sea of cortez,and oceans...I know what I've done !!! for a goat...;D if you have any time in nor cal,org,wa,BC, Alaska or centrail America you would have a better pic of the big place !!! go back to watching that TV....LOL !!..PS Silver strand does SUCK and you must be self contained (to be legal)......but lets get real...So Cal SUCKS !! IMO.....LOL..go get your own water !!

[Edited on 1-24-2015 by captkw]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 08:22 AM

RV camping? Been there, done that for 40 years, up and down the Pacific Coast. I've posted many threads about it on Nomads if you want to do a search.

Here's a site for all of the southern California beach camping spots. Almost impossible without reservations or a rare & random cancellation. Very popular, meaning very crowded, and high-priced for what you get. There are far more better and less crowded RV parks inland, but you want to be on the beach, so... your choice and Happy Camping.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cabeaches/a/beach-camping-s...

For all of San Diego County you might try this site:

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/casdmenu/a/San-Diego-Campin...

Near Oceanside, I prefer Guajome Park..about 6 miles inland. Full service and you can fatten up some geese & ducks.

Pismo Beach....true, a long ways north, but it's where you can still drive out on the beach and camp...

Santee at Padre Lakes Campground...a favorite for us. Lots of ducks, too.

[Edited on 1-24-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
RV camping? Been there, done that for 40 years, up and down the Pacific Coast. I've posted many threads about it on Nomads if you want to do a search.

Here's a site for all of the southern California beach camping spots. Almost impossible without reservations or a rare & random cancellation. Very popular, meaning very crowded, and high-priced for what you get. There are far more better and less crowded RV parks inland, but you want to be on the beach, so... your choice and Happy Camping.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cabeaches/a/beach-camping-s...

Pismo Beach....true, a long ways north, but it's where you can still drive out on the beach and camp...

15SANDIEGOANDBAJASCENES98.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[Edited on 1-24-2015 by Pompano]

..but don't go there during their annual car show (June 19-21 this year) since every space is taken. The promo says 175,000 people and 1000 cars expected.

http://theclassicatpismobeach.com/

Bob Durrell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 06:05 PM

Carlsbad is about the best you can find....on the east side of the 5 is a county park,,but no pets .....east of the big S.D.before Tecate is a windy camp called............pachaco or something like that...some folks go to school,collage and watch TV...some folks spend a life out on the road,river,lakes,sea of cortez,and oceans...I know what I've done !!! for a goat...;D if you have any time in nor cal,org,wa,BC, Alaska or centrail America you would have a better pic of the big place !!! go back to watching that TV....LOL !!..PS Silver strand does SUCK and you must be self contained (to be legal)......but lets get real...So Cal SUCKS !! IMO.....LOL..go get your own water !!

Eat me, you illiterate drunk!

If you are reviewing campgrounds in the mountains and East and dismissing as crap mt laguna, Anza b, Idylwild, etc., then you are a buffoon.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.