BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Yuha Desert/ Plaster City RR Road to Split Mtn Rd to Salton Sea
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 11:22 AM
Yuha Desert/ Plaster City RR Road to Split Mtn Rd to Salton Sea

While we planned it to be a 2 night camping trip, it was so cold at night we packed a 2 day trip into one!

Who are we?: My 26 y/o son Chris from Lakeside and myself.

Chris had some vacation time from his work, and I had no work but a truck that loves four wheeling in the desert.

Not sure at first where to go... Chris knew that when I was a kid (1967) my folks took me to the Yuha Desert to hunt for fossils in their Jeep Wagoneer. The huge oyster shell beds are there from when the sea levels really were higher by a few hundred feet (not just a couple inches)! So, he suggested we go there...

We left Lakeside about sundown on Thursday and headed east on I-8 to Ocotillo, then popped on the old Hwy. 80 (now called the Imperial Highway) to just past Coyote Wells. Now it was dark, and I didn't want to kick on all my HID and Halogen lights while still on public highways!

Back in 1967, there was no Interstate 8 freeway, just Hwy. 80 and the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railroad track parallel to it. I found a spot to drive under the railroad line in a wash, but couldn't find (at first) the bridge to get under the freeway, to the south side. I ended up on the mesa at the edge of the freeway cut, too far east of where I knew there was a bridge I could drive under it with.

I then remembered the technology I possessed with my smart phone, and clicked on Google Maps to see the satellite view of where I was, the roads, and where I wanted to go! In the end, we got to the region of the Yuha Buttes (which are mountains of fossil oysters and other sea shells) and set up camp.

Chris picked up a tent a a sleeping pad, and I just inflated my air mattress and would enjoy the stars. We ate when we left Lakeside, so just the campfire was nice with some beef jerky for snacks. There was no wind, but it was cold and by sunrise, really cold. Between his dog getting cold in the tent, Chris's new sleeping pad (one of those backpacker ones that self inflate when you unroll it) was not adequate, and I didn't sleep as well as I usually do (too cold)... the next morning we decided to not spend a second night out.

Tailgating in then rough!

Next morning we made coffee and cooked up some Beer Brats, yum! I went on a hike to look for specimen fossils and Chris threw a ball for his dog, Aria to retrieve. It was a beautiful Friday morning!

5 million year old oysters!

'Fossilized' sea salt!

I let Chris drive and we found the road to the Yuha Wells, on the Anza Trail (Spain's land connection to Alta California from Sonora, Mainland Mexico). Water is located very near the surface here, and with some digging water would be found. Wells were dug next to the arroyo over 100 years ago for horse and human needs. In 1967, there was water almost at the top of the wells, but today, they were filled with sand, and quite dry. Chris didn't want to amuse me and dig down to the water table with my folding army shovel.

That's Signal Mountain in the distance (the Mexican Border).

This sign was at the De Anza Overlook.

From the Yuha Wells, the road continues west then south to the De Anza lookout and a Border Patrol watch truck, just north of Hwy. 98. We drove the 98 back to Ocotillo, then Hwy. 80 to Plaster City and beyond to the narrow gauge railroad that brings the gypsum from Split Mountain to Plaster City so USG (United States Gypsum) can make drywall sheets and other gypsum/ plaster products.

The road parallel to the train tracks is pretty good, goes through a bombing range (you must stay on the road), and goes through some deep silt, just like we find in parts of Baja! Chris got real excited powering through the silt... loves the four wheel drive!

We watched the Blue Angels practicing around Superstition Mountain for a few minutes before the silt section... There were four jets flying in diamond formation for several minutes, circling around the mountain... very cool.

Once back on the pavement at Split Mountain, we headed north to Ocotillo Wells on Hwy. 78. We could see big clouds of dust from many miles away, and wondered what was causing it? An off road race, a wind storm, what was it?

It was a pair of Ospreys practicing landing on the dry lake bed airport at Ocotillo Wells!

Chris wanted to see the Salton Sea, so we headed east. Last time he (and I) were there... 10-15 years ago, it was real stinky and dead fish and bones lined the shore. We were surprised to see the seashore much cleaner, not stinky, but lower and further out. Some pelicans and gulls were there, so something must still be alive in that water, but it really is a dead sea. All the old marina buildings are gone, and the area near the sea is nearly deserted. A few nice homes are between the highway and the sea, but it is only a fraction of what was here in the 60's when we used to boat and fish on the Salton Sea.

Panorama from North to East to South to West:

Awesome vehicle!

Topped the gas tank at the Salton City AM/PM truck stop station ($2.25/ gal) and racing fuel is $7.99/ gal. We went west to Borrego Springs, stopping at the 4WD test course to do a little A-TRAC and rear locker testing. Burritos in Borrego Springs took care of us for a late lunch, and then came back to Lakeside via Ranchita, Santa Ysabel, and Ramona. After dropping off Chris and Aria, I returned home to San Marcos.

In 24 hours, we traveled about 250 miles, did a lot of four wheeling, had a campfire, went fossil hunting, and saw sites I had not seen in almost 50 years!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 11:45 AM
Memories

I also remember remnants of the old wooden highway to Yuma that were next to old highway 80 in the late 50s. Also early morning water skiing from Citizens Beach to North Shore in the early 60s at Salton Sea.

Bob Durrell
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 12:22 PM

Thanks for sharing and reminding us of the hidden gems right in our own back yard. Love it out there, too bad the Salton Sea is going away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 12:55 PM

Those dust storms can be unhealthy. It's best to avoid them as much as possible.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 01:08 PM

i've been told the Blue Angels winter based in Florida and summer in El Centro, or the other way around?

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i've been told the Blue Angels winter based in Florida and summer in El Centro, or the other way around?

They come to NAF El Centro in January and practice there until March. Their first show of the year is there March 12th then they hit the road for the rest of the year. Pensacola is considered 'home base'. They like El Centro for the 'perfect weather' for flying this time of year.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Those dust storms can be unhealthy. It's best to avoid them as much as possible.

What dust storms are those?

The ones created by the V-22 Osprey, especially if they are equipped with the Ma Deuce

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 06:35 PM

Oh, to me a 'storm' is a natural event. Thanks for clearing up what I missed! The Ospreys just made some huge dust clouds... we saw it from 20 miles away!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 11:15 PM

Heh David, I see you have been prowling around my old stomping grounds. Fun pictures!! I always loved the Yuha Desert, and the Plaster City open area (open to recreation vehicles). Lots of neat country between Plaster City and Borrego Springs, and environs. I spent 13 years in El Centro and prowling around that country via 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:07 AM

Good stuff DK, thanks for the tour and pictures. It's been a long time since I've been out in that area off road.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:16 AM

Thanks for sharing David. I'd like to check that area out.

Hey, is it okay to have an open fire out there?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

OK? Hmmm, no signs saying not... and man needs fire for warmth... and it sure was cold. There was another camp just over the oyster shell hill from ours (we discovered the next morning) and there was smoke from their fire in the morning.

The region is heavily patrolled by Homeland Security (Border Patrol) and there are sophisticated electronic listening devices around. I suppose the heat detectors would go crazy from a campfire and they would report to the BLM if having a fire was forbidden?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Heh David, I see you have been prowling around my old stomping grounds. Fun pictures!! I always loved the Yuha Desert, and the Plaster City open area (open to recreation vehicles). Lots of neat country between Plaster City and Borrego Springs, and environs. I spent 13 years in El Centro and prowling around that country via 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Barry

North of Plaster City along the gypsum train line are big signs announcing you are entering a LIVE BOMBING RANGE. The road is an open corridor with signs along both sides of it to keep you on the road only. I am sure USG would have a fit if a bomb blew up their train tracks, so we felt safe. Seeing the Blue Angels training over Superstition Mountain was cool, but no other military aircraft was seen until we got to Ocotillo Wells, and the Ospreys doing touch and goes on the dry lake bed.

It would be fun to get back into the Fish Creek Mountains west of the train track and north of Carrizo Wash to look for Peg Leg Smith's black gold nuggets!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Inside Anza Borrego Desert State Park fires are restricted to self-provided containers in the boonies, and leaving/dumping coals and charcoal is a no-no. Bring your own firewood---NO FIREWOOD COLLECTION IS ALLOWED as there is not much there.

On BLM (all of the Yuha Desert and where David was) fires are permitted but bringing your own firewood is highly recommended. ( This is as of some 20 years ago, so may be different now but I don't think so.)

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 11:47 AM

[

It would be fun to get back into the Fish Creek Mountains west of the train track and north of Carrizo Wash to look for Peg Leg Smith's black gold nuggets!

Before the Carrizo Bombing Range closure was enforced, we used to camp up all the washes that fed Carrizo Wash back in the '40's and '50's, and explore by foot everywhere. There were bombs everywhere sticking out of the soil and on the ground within the Range, as well as many tanks that had been used for targets. A "clean-up" by the Military was done to rid the area of live ordinance, but it was decided that it was too dangerous still, and it was permanently closed (forget when that happened). Parts of the Fish Creek Mts. are outside the Bombing Range still.

There is "Black Gold" everywhere, (we were told) but we never found any (Peg-Leg got it all????) and believe me we looked. The entire Fish Creek drainage is wonderful and fascinating (to us, anyway) and mostly available to 4-wheel drive within the washes, even within the ABD State Park which manages most of it. OFF ROAD travel by vehicle is strickly prohibited, and enforced by both ground and air. (Big fines)

We spent a month each winter in Borrego Springs for 14 years, and drove by 4-wheel drive most (all?) of the "roads/trails" in ABDSP--------a never ending fascinating place to explore and hike.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 11:56 AM

On BLM (all of the Yuha Desert and where David was) fires are permitted but bringing your own firewood is highly recommended. ( This is as of some 20 years ago, so may be different now but I don't think so.)

Barry

According to the latest online BLM information, it appears that a permit is required to have a campfire.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd/fire/fire_restrictions.ht...

It appears that the Yuha Desert area in in a Stage One zone and the requirements for the Stage One zone are

Campfires, barbecues and gas stoves are allowed with a permit. All public lands within the California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA) shall be in Stage I restrictions. Please check with individual local field offices for further information on restrictions.

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 01:07 PM

Nice.
I would rather see a sign that reads entering bombing area, not one that reads exiting same. :(
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 01:14 PM

Just how did you come to the conclusion that protecting public lands is "excessive". Might not be so beautiful if it wasn't protected. and of course did it occur to you that other people might not be out there because they were working to support your ability to enjoy this beautiful desert?

Oh brother... more big government to deal with.

So, tell me how and where one gets a permit when we didn't even know we were going to camp there 3 hours earlier? No signs other than to stay on marked roads, just open desert, lots of dirt roads to pick from.

Nearly nobody is out there in the big beautiful desert and maybe the excessive rules added by big government restricting personal freedoms is why?

Thanks Barry for sharing what it was like when the public could enjoy public lands! I actually am old enough to remember a little, and it was here at the Yuha Desert, 48 years ago that I camped with my parents. I was sharing with my son a little family history, the best of life.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Barry

According to the latest online BLM information, it appears that a permit is required to have a campfire.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd/fire/fire_restrictions.ht...

It appears that the Yuha Desert area in in a Stage One zone and the requirements for the Stage One zone are

Campfires, barbecues and gas stoves are allowed with a permit. All public lands within the California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA) shall be in Stage I restrictions. Please check with individual local field offices for further information on restrictions.

Thank you Diane, and she is technically correct. "Campfire Permits" are technically required, and have been as long as I can remember, on ALL Fed. recreation lands outside a designated camping area. Within designated Federally provided camping areas where campfire rings or grates are provided, said "rings" are required to be used---(no random campfires) and no permits are normally needed, or required.

The purpose of campfire permits was/is to be able to dispense Fire Safety messages to the visiting public, and give Law Enforcement agents the ability to enforce the law when it is deemed necessary or prudent. I never recall our BLM office ever issuing a "fire permit" the entire 13 years I was in the El Centro area for use in the open Low-desert (mostly Imperial Country). We did issue them for the semi-desert or non-desert vegetated areas up in the Jacumba Mts. and Laguna Mt. complex (mostly in San Diego County, etc.) as a real fire danger existed up there with all the chaparral. As near as I can remember, our Ranger's never cited ANYONE for having a campfire out in the open desert which included the Yuha and the areas David camped with Josh, and thousands have had campfires over the years with no permits. Obviously, "campfire permits" were not deemed of any practical use when there was nothing but sand and rock in the vicinity of your campfire. Ranger's used their discretion in enforcing the law, as they are trained to do.

There are areas of "desert" such as in the High Desert of the Mojave where more strict rules and regs for random campfires exist due to more vegetation and fire danger-----keep that in mind. Also, within State & County lands and Parks different and stricter regulations may apply. Check locally if in doubt, and above all use common sense. The National Park Service often has very strict campfire rules, so be aware of that and check locally.

Having said that, to be safe from possible citations and entirely within legal guidelines, you should get a permit for your random campfires on any Fed. public lands outside designated camping sites where no signs or public notices prohibit fires or state otherwise. (i.e. use common sense)

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 03:15 PM

Thanks Barry, there is no vegetation where we camped (as you can see by photos), and we had our own firewood... dug a small pit in the dust/ sand... used an artificial log plus some pieces (you can see them next to dog in one pic). We had originally planned to be out for two nights. So, the unused wood was brought back home. No trash was left in the desert (or anywhere I go camping). If you can haul it in, you can haul it out!

Like you, I am a citizen who loves and enjoys the outdoors and wishes they to be open for my children and all others who show similar interest and respect of the public lands. I was with Chris, not Josh (as Josh was working on off road racers and Chris was on his days off from work). I wish we saw more people out there... but it was a weekday. Two guys on motorcycles rode by our camp and waved in the morning, that was the only humans we saw in the Yuha Desert other than the Border Patrol at the De Anza Overview.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.