BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Yuha Desert/ Plaster City RR Road to Split Mtn Rd to Salton Sea
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Just how did you come to the conclusion that protecting public lands is "excessive". Might not be so beautiful if it wasn't protected. and of course did it occur to you that other people might not be out there because they were working to support your ability to enjoy this beautiful desert?

Thank you, but I do not live on government support, I have a small income from irrigation repairs and installs. I do understand it was a workday for most, and also the amount of poverty and under-employment in America has limited recreational activities, as well. Baja visits are also way down for us. This trip costs a just tank of gas (much cheaper now thanks to U.S. oil drilling and pipeline threats causing the Saudis to sell sell sell) and some brats + burritos at Borrego Springs.

The value was being with my 26 year old son, who is trying his best to be successful in this economy, also without government support. No TV, just the stars above and campfire below... as it has been since man discovered how to make fire! Priceless!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 04:45 PM

You did not answer excessive? Everyday you travel on the freeway or hiway or camp in a public area you are living on government support. You should appreciate that, not denigrate it since you probably do not contribute as much as they cost. Your small income is evidence of that. Although I assume you also live off your wife's employment as well.. does she provide you with health insurance and money for your tank of gas? or do you also have that subsidized? I think it is great that you have time with your son....so many people do not have that luxury. Again, don't take it so for granted, as it could be taken away some day. We all want to enjoy our beautiful deserts.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just how did you come to the conclusion that protecting public lands is "excessive". Might not be so beautiful if it wasn't protected. and of course did it occur to you that other people might not be out there because they were working to support your ability to enjoy this beautiful desert?

Thank you, but I do not live on government support, I have a small income from irrigation repairs and installs. I do understand it was a workday for most, and also the amount of poverty and under-employment in America has limited recreational activities, as well. Baja visits are also way down for us. This trip costs a just tank of gas (much cheaper now thanks to U.S. oil drilling and pipeline threats causing the Saudis to sell sell sell) and some brats + burritos at Borrego Springs.

The value was being with my 26 year old son, who is trying his best to be successful in this economy, also without government support. No TV, just the stars above and campfire below... as it has been since man discovered how to make fire! Priceless!
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 04:58 PM

You did not answer excessive? Everyday you travel on the freeway or hiway or camp in a public area you are living on government support. You should appreciate that, not denigrate it since you probably do not contribute as much as they cost. Your small income is evidence of that. Although I assume you also live off your wife's employment as well.. does she provide you with health insurance and money for your tank of gas? or do you also have that subsidized? I think it is great that you have time with your son....so many people do not have that luxury. Again, don't take it so for granted, as it could be taken away some day. We all want to enjoy our beautiful deserts.

Hey Burrowipe (norte) how about bottom posting, cannot answer you specifically when you top post.

And how about getting off your burro, shut down your keyboard and get out there instead of condemning a person for a reasonable, sound and enjoyable trip, a trip he was nice enough to share with all of us.

Buzz off Dickweed.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

Hey Burrowipe (norte) how about bottom posting, cannot answer you specifically when you top post.

And how about getting off your burro, shut down your keyboard and get out there instead of condemning a person for a reasonable, sound and enjoyable trip, a trip he was nice enough to share with all of us.

Buzz off Dickweed.

I thought language like yours was not allowed? Guess I will take you off my Christmas list. I was only questioning his obvious political comment about excessive government. Not his delightful trip.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:38 PM

Buzz off Dickweed.

I thought language like yours was not allowed? Guess I will take you off my Christmas list. I was only questioning his obvious political comment about excessive government. Not his delightful trip.

I think it's allowed now, that's why Doug did "burro" instead of using "norte" all the time.

You were NOT only questioning his obvious political comment about excessive government." Here is your comment:

"...Everyday you travel on the freeway or hiway or camp in a public area you are living on government support. You should appreciate that, not denigrate it since you probably do not contribute as much as they cost. Your small income is evidence of that. Although I assume you also live off your wife's employment as well.. does she provide you with health insurance and money for your tank of gas? or do you also have that subsidized?" (hmm. Registration, gas taxes, tolls,...).

Hey nortewipe. You been checkin out his "small" income also (whatever that means to whomever) not contributing "as much as it costs". How much does it cost nortewipe?

Living off Angel's employment? I don't know that she is employed, do you?

"I was only questioning his obvious political comment about excessive government." BULLNORTE (think Doug cranked that one also). You were making a pure nortehole out of yourself going personally about things you don't know NORTE about.

How about a colonoscopy with your keyboard? Is that acceptable?

You are MEAN norte. THAT is not acceptable.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by Cisco]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Thanks for sharing David. I'd like to check that area out.

Hey, is it okay to have an open fire out there?

Inside Anza Borrego Desert State Park fires are restricted to self-provided containers in the boonies, and leaving/dumping coals and charcoal is a no-no. Bring your own firewood---NO FIREWOOD COLLECTION IS ALLOWED as there is not much there.

On BLM (all of the Yuha Desert and where David was) fires are permitted but bringing your own firewood is highly recommended. ( This is as of some 20 years ago, so may be different now but I don't think so.)

Barry

Thanks for the clarification. I know about the Anza Borrego restrictions and thus the question. Plenty of evidence there of people that don't follow/know the rules.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:48 PM

Inside Anza Borrego Desert State Park fires are restricted to self-provided containers in the boonies, and leaving/dumping coals and charcoal is a no-no. Bring your own firewood---NO FIREWOOD COLLECTION IS ALLOWED as there is not much there.

On BLM (all of the Yuha Desert and where David was) fires are permitted but bringing your own firewood is highly recommended. ( This is as of some 20 years ago, so may be different now but I don't think so.)

Barry

Thanks for the clarification. I know about the Anza Borrego restrictions and thus the question. Plenty of evidence there of people that don't follow/know the rules.

Technically, a permit is required but maybe not enforced, or maybe one can just selectively decide on which rules and laws they chose to follow or not.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd/fire/fire_restrictions.ht...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:49 PM

Thanks for the report David.

All, I'm heading to Anza next weekend and I'm looking for a "metal container" to burn my wood in. Maybe I can find a dryer drum on eBay.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by Ateo]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

All, I'm heading to Anza next weekend and I'm looking for a "metal container" to burn my wood in. Any ideas? I know people use dryer drums but any other ideas?

I had a small Weber bbq die on me so I gutted it and use it. Definitely not a good choice for a big fire but very portable.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by Bajaboy]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Barry

Technically, a permit is required but maybe not enforced, or maybe one can just selectively decide on which rules and laws they chose to follow or not.

No, Diane, that normally is not the way it works. You can try that, and many do, but the Law Enforcement Officer's make that decision for you when they choose to----------like it or not THAT is the often way it often works, and the reasons are pretty complicated to explain here, but actually make sense.

Barry
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:55 PM

All, I'm heading to Anza next weekend and I'm looking for a "metal container" to burn my wood in. Maybe I can find a dryer drum on eBay.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by Ateo]

look on Craigs List...they are there.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:57 PM

All, I'm heading to Anza next weekend and I'm looking for a "metal container" to burn my wood in. Any ideas? I know people use dryer drums but any other ideas?

I had a small Weber bbq die on me so I gutted it and use it. Definitely not a good choice for a big fire but very portable.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by Bajaboy]

Dude that's exactly what I was thinking. I have an old red one that never gets used. Take a couple screws out, take legs off, and DONE.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 06:11 PM

Barry

No, Diane, that normally is not the way it works. You can try that, and many do, but the Law Enforcement Officer's make that decision for you when they choose to----------like it or not THAT is the often way it often works, and the reasons are pretty complicated to explain here, but actually make sense.

Barry

Barry, I perfectly well understand the flexibility that the law enforcement officer has in enforcing a rule or law. So I guess anyone can just take a chance on who the law enforcement officer is if they have made the decision not to follow the rules and laws.

It happens around here all the time and every law enforcement officer whether it be BLM, Highway Patrol or whoever is different and play the game a bit differently.

Thus, if someone wants to choose not to follow a law, that is their choice, and if it is enforced, that is the choice of the law enforcement officer. No big deal as long as someone does not complain about potential consequences.

It is the way it is. On edit --- I agree with the policy of flexibility in law enforcement and hope more of the same is returned to the courts.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by DianaT]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 07:12 PM

Re the socal deserts,... I am thankful that a bunch of greenies, liberals, whackos, commies - whatever you want to call them - fought to protect the desert and preserve some of the lands, and won,...
the job is never done, always need to watch out for the right wingnuts trying to destroy our public lands, sell them, pave them, mine them, etc.

p.s. please take your campfire residue home!

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by mtgoat666]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 07:13 PM

Buzz off Dickweed.

I think it's allowed now, that's why Doug did "burro" instead of using "norte" all the time.

You were NOT only questioning his obvious political comment about excessive government." Here is your comment:

"...Everyday you travel on the freeway or hiway or camp in a public area you are living on government support. You should appreciate that, not denigrate it since you probably do not contribute as much as they cost. Your small income is evidence of that. Although I assume you also live off your wife's employment as well.. does she provide you with health insurance and money for your tank of gas? or do you also have that subsidized?" (hmm. Registration, gas taxes, tolls,...).

Hey nortewipe. You been checkin out his "small" income also (whatever that means to whomever) not contributing "as much as it costs". How much does it cost nortewipe?

Living off Angel's employment? I don't know that she is employed, do you?

"I was only questioning his obvious political comment about excessive government." BULLNORTE (think Doug cranked that one also). You were making a pure nortehole out of yourself going personally about things you don't know NORTE about.

How about a colonoscopy with your keyboard? Is that acceptable?

You are MEAN norte. THAT is not acceptable.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by Cisco]

Its nice that you stick up for your friend. You obviously know them better then I, but your name calling and attempts at insults are childish. They do one thing,however, they drive me away from this thread in that I have no desire to lower myself to your level.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 07:41 PM

Barry

Barry

Barry, I perfectly well understand the flexibility that the law enforcement officer has in enforcing a rule or law. So I guess anyone can just take a chance on who the law enforcement officer is if they have made the decision not to follow the rules and laws.

It happens around here all the time and every law enforcement officer whether it be BLM, Highway Patrol or whoever is different and play the game a bit differently.

Thus, if someone wants to choose not to follow a law, that is their choice, and if it is enforced, that is the choice of the law enforcement officer. No big deal as long as someone does not complain about potential consequences.

It is the way it is. On edit --- I agree with the policy of flexibility in law enforcement and hope more of the same is returned to the courts.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by DianaT]

A very fair and knowledgeable response, Diane. Thank you for that, and I agree totally.

Barry

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:15 PM

And we wonder why so few bother to share trips here anymore?

Thanks to those who share the theory that people belong on this planet too.

Zac, I was NOT camping in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

Uhm, duh?! I know the regulations for Anza Borrego. I was asking about the area where you camping.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:01 PM

Oh brother... more big government to deal with.

So, tell me how and where one gets a permit when we didn't even know we were going to camp there 3 hours earlier? No signs other than to stay on marked roads, just open desert, lots of dirt roads to pick from.

Nearly nobody is out there in the big beautiful desert and maybe the excessive rules added by big government restricting personal freedoms is why?

Thanks Barry for sharing what it was like when the public could enjoy public lands! I actually am old enough to remember a little, and it was here at the Yuha Desert, 48 years ago that I camped with my parents. I was sharing with my son a little family history, ,the best of life.

alright david! you made it what, 17,18 replies before you destroyed your own non baja trip report! nice! and now guess what, you're blaming everyone else!
riddle me this Kman, and im serious, what the heck is the matter with you?:?:
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:04 PM

Barry

Diana. A pregunta por favor.

You seem to be acquainted with high/low deserts maybe you can help me out here with a definition.

Coming south through Joshua Tree I stopped at all the little highway information placards that were in the park describing different scenes and characteristics.

One of them delineated the "low" Sonora desert with the "middle" Mojave and pointed out that the only "high" desert in California was located up in the NE corner. Yet I hear people call places around hwy 10 "high Desert" which is a mis-nomer according to the Joshua Tree Rangers.

Ayuda! Any clarification?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:28 PM

Barry

Diana. A pregunta por favor.

You seem to be acquainted with high/low deserts maybe you can help me out here with a definition.

Coming south through Joshua Tree I stopped at all the little highway information placards that were in the park describing different scenes and characteristics.

One of them delineated the "low" Sonora desert with the "middle" Mojave and pointed out that the only "high" desert in California was located up in the NE corner. Yet I hear people call places around hwy 10 "high Desert" which is a mis-nomer according to the Joshua Tree Rangers.

Ayuda! Any clarification?

Sorry, I really have no idea the official designation of high or low desert. I know we refer to our area as high desert because we are at 4000 feet in comparison to when we lived at sea level in Imperial County. But, that very well may be totally inaccurate. :yes::biggrin:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.