Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Amigos January Trip Report with Pictures
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
You guys have your own personal chef? :big grin::biggrin:

Great trip and photos.

Robert is one of a kind and is all ours. We would not share him with anyone. He is also a great cook.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
Tw. Wish I could have got off to go. Seems I am busier now that I'm retired. Looks like a great trip. Stop by next time. We still have an extra room. Some daynI'll make one of these trips.
Mick

Mick you would have loved it. Hope to stop by your place on my next trip.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 01:20 PM
second attempt to add photos to Tom's report

Or maybe it's my third try! Stay tuned as I have to do them one at a time, can't seem to keep Photobucket open same time as Nomad so it's a process of time spent on this.

This is about 8 miles north of San Francisquito, the trail wanders around and through a few 4x4 washes to land at the beach. 28 27.255 N & 112 59.405 W

Due to the miserable conditions at San Francisquito, including lots of wind, we found a campsite inland a few miles. TW tending to the fire.
28 22.930 N & 112 57.802 W

This was our furthest south campsite along the No Wimps Trail. Beyond here the road/trail was simply gone - This is about six miles west of the Gulf, near the road to Rancho Santa Barbara. The gps reading for this and the following photo is: 28 07.184 N & 112 57.519 W Hurricane Odile wrecked havoc all along the existing road just to get to this point.

As we slowly began our return to the north, this photo just begged to be taken. About the same location as the photo immediately above.

Road between Villa Jesus Maria and El Arco, somewhere around gps 28 09.060 N and 113 44.731 W

John M

[Edited on 1-29-2015 by John M]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 05:58 PM

Thank you John! Appreciate your efforts even if you are being challenged by the Internet gods in posting this. When you do the final edit, you can erase all the previous "Edited on 1-29..." auto posts, if you don't want us to see how many times you tried!

:light:

Thanks for the GPS locations! I think I will make a map with Google Earth to show them!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 06:38 PM
Thanks to John M for the GPS!

Here are the waypoint locations John M gave (sun logos):

All images are with NORTH at the top...

JM 1 is not in the gulf, but looks like it on zoom out!
#3 is south of JM 2 and #4 is way off to the west.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is JM 1 close in:

This is about 8 miles north of San Francisquito, the trail wanders around and through a few 4x4 washes to land at the beach. 28 27.255 N & 112 59.405 W

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is JM 2:

Due to the miserable conditions at San Francisquito, including lots of wind, we found a campsite inland a few miles. TW tending to the fire.
28 22.930 N & 112 57.802 W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is JM 3:

This was our furthest south campsite along the No Wimps Trail. Beyond here the road/trail was simply gone - This is about six miles west of the Gulf, near the road to Rancho Santa Barbara. The gps reading for this and the following photo is: 28 07.184 N & 112 57.519 W Hurricane Odile wrecked havoc all along the existing road just to get to this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is JM 4, out west...

Road between Villa Jesus Maria and El Arco, somewhere around gps 28 09.060 N and 113 44.731 W

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 07:54 PM

Thanks for a wonderful trip report. I'd love to go explore the beach near the big Vizcaino hook. (I'm gradually exploring more of the Pacific coast in between enjoying all the baby whales.)

And I hate it when all my text disappears! I agree, prep it in word or text document and save it before it disappears into the ethernet.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Baja Bug

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 10:01 PM
your trip

Thanks again for your reply on my upcoming atv trip. We're looking for possable alturnative trips. Question: On your trip you say you couldn't get past the "Y" in the roads to Santa Barbara & San Miguel. Do you think we could get thru on our atv's? Looks like the coastal area past San Miguel would be worth exploring. Don't know how to u2u yet. This is all new to me. Mucho Gracias ...Bob "Baja Bug"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja Bug  
Thanks again for your reply on my upcoming atv trip. We're looking for possable alturnative trips. Question: On your trip you say you couldn't get past the "Y" in the roads to Santa Barbara & San Miguel. Do you think we could get thru on our atv's? Looks like the coastal area past San Miguel would be worth exploring. Don't know how to u2u yet. This is all new to me. Mucho Gracias ...Bob "Baja Bug"

Next to the box where you are reading a post, is a button 'u2u'. Click on that and you open a private message service to that Nomad. When a new u2u comes to you, you will see (in blue text) that you have a u2u... it is in the upper right corner of your Nomad page... just click on it!

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 11:54 AM
Baja Bug - ATVs beyond??

Ancient maps would, at times, have the phrase "Terra Incognita" or with the loosely translated and somewhat more imaginative "Beyond This Place There be Dragons" penciled along the margins or at the edge of a map. That pretty well describes what the rest of road to San Miguel can be described as today.

The actual route TW so painstakingly and accurately laid out simply vanished probably within a quarter mile of the sign to the ranches that he posted. We got to the edge of a major wash with recent tracks headed westerly, toward Rancho Santa Barbara, and found the road heading in the same direction. Huge boulders blocked any other travel in the direction we would have gone.

What we couldn't find was the route to the east. Downed trees, boulders, devastation all around. We walked, and drove a couple of dead ends in the direction we wanted to go. There was no getting through. TW thought that perhaps some bikes had gotten through since Odile but there were no bike tracks spotted at all, since we left the El Barril area. The road we followed from El Barril soon gets to Rancho La Illusion. After La Illusion the road surface deteriorated crossing a couple of very rocky arroyos. We soon picked up the tire tracks of one vehicle, obviously a truck and likely from Rancho Santa Barbara, not an "off road" tire tread pattern. As lead vehicle, we spotted the tracks from time to time for the next 15 or so miles. Where the road we were following came to an end, a fainter route, marked all along with rock cairns (ducks) no doubt lead to Santa Barbara.

We had stopped at La Illusion on the way south to inquire but the place was only inhabited by a couple of friendly dogs. Later in the trip we came across the rancher who told Tom that the route beyond where we went was simply gone. TW puts faith in this rancher's knowledge of the area.

Had we gotten to San Miguel, and then to the coast we would have been faced with yet another issue - gasoline. The driving was pretty slow and I for one was using more fuel than I anticipated. Even with the ten extra gallons carried we would have had to make a decision to return before too long as the nearest gasoline we were certain of would be at Guerrero Negro or Villa Jesus Maria.

Tom can fill in the blanks and add info as he's driven this route a couple of times pre Odile.

Someone should take up the challenge, Baja Bug, and with time, good equipment, and a sense of adventure you just might be the guy to do it! Good luck. U2U if you want more info like gps data.

John M

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by John M]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja Bug  

It is possible an ATV could get thru, worth a try anyway. I have done this trail from El Barril to San Ignacio twice last year going both ways. The trail down the coast is beautiful, no one there except you. Here is a trip report from last April, we went from San Ignacio up to El Barril.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73500
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 05:45 PM

Thanks much ... :):)

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2015 at 05:16 PM

Great trip, thanks for sharing! I was last at Malarrimo in the 80s - I NEED to get back there. Like you, we encountered that crusty mud - dangerous business.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 08:57 AM

Well that`s putting some adventure into a trip! Thanks for the report and the effort to post it all. It was GREAT!!!
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 09:52 AM

Just got to this report. Thanks for taking so much time with it. I love the narrative and photos.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 10:11 AM

So much Baja... So little time!!!:light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 11:52 AM

Bump for DirkEXC

Any news on the El Barril to San Ignacio track?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.