BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: is this too many shrimpers??
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 04:40 PM
is this too many shrimpers??

got this from Jen Wren on FB,, So I guess this goes on all along the east SOC coast what's worse climate change or over fishing??

10551022_718906811540074_2627931472865848588_n (Medium).jpg - 46kB
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 05:10 PM

there must be a bunch of shrimp or there would be no boats. fuel ain't cheap!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 05:51 PM

We've had 3 shrimpers in our bay for a few weeks now. 5 days ago there were also 7 sardine seiners for 2 nights. Usually some one will see a spotter plan before we get that many sardine boats.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 05:53 PM

I need to get me into the shrimpin business

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 06:21 PM

Thanks to Steinbeck's Log of the Sea of Cortez we don't have to imagine what 5000 shrimpers did to the ecology of the Sea of Cortez in his time...and how much the shrimp stocks and marine ecology have been decimated. The book should be required reading to all working on those shrimpers. Also limpet mines come to mind.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 06:30 AM

Five shrimpers...that's nothing. I counted 16 of them working offshore of San Juanico last night.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 12:15 PM
Don't need no stinking shrimp boats

Just go to store and buy the frozen farm raised shrimp from China :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dz1YRXdOA

Bob Durrell
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
got this from Jen Wren on FB,, So I guess this goes on all along the east SOC coast what's worse climate change or over fishing??

Well, since there is no climate change and shrimping employs good fisherman....doesn't it make sense that over fishing does not exist either?

Hmmm, unless you're a sport fisherman who can't find any fish leftover......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 06:56 PM

There has always been way too many shrimpers. Here's just a small sample of dozens working the Bay of Conception at night and anchoring at Santispac in the daytime. A 1966 photo from Earl Stanley Gardner's book, 'Off the Beaten Path'

Funny thing, the Mexico tourist brochures always referred to Bahia de Concepcion as a Maritime Park and closed to commercial fishing. Even funnier, every camper in the Bay could plainly hear the diesels working out on the water. So much for the rule of law.

edit to correct a date and to remove a comment..I dislike political jibes.

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
......... So much for the rule of law.

........indeed. :rolleyes:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 10:04 AM

I am in Los Barriles and they are here too.
Fishing is definitely being affected.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 10:16 AM

There were 23 shrimpers - that I counted one morning - from the Mazatlan fleet off the Soledad Boca in Mag Bay in October.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 12:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajudy  
I am in Los Barriles and they are here too.
Fishing is definitely being affected.

...as is the fishing in San Quintin and other areas when the bait trawlers come in. I realize they are just trying to make a living and we are there on "vacation"...but still, there has to be some sort of reasonable middle ground?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 12:42 AM
shrimpers

There is a big gap between fishing and rapeing the sea... I have seen the sea of cortez ( and pacific) go from the late 70's with lots of sea life to hardly any today.... really sucks IMO... dragging nets is NOT fishing !! that's called harvesting !! or ______ !!!:fire:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 12:29 PM

Being a "numbers" kind of guy with an understanding of actual reality represented by valid statistical analysis, it is not too difficult to apply those principles to one's own personal, yet limited, first hand observations to come to some conclusions.

I remember what fishing for yellow tail in Ensenada was commonly like in the late 70s, what offshore fishing was like in southern California in the early 80s, what fishing for dorado was like and the numbers and sizes of those fish being caught in the late 80s in Loreto, what fishing for tuna was like out of La Paz in the late 90s, what fishing was like 7 years ago out of La Paz and what fishing has been like in the last two years out of La Paz.

As a function of time, the fishing has deteriorated by multiples at an accelerated rate at each of those locations. I bought a nice fiber glass runabout in 1990 to fish out of Dana Point, California and environs, The fishing got so bad by 1994, I stopped using the boat altogether for 16 years until I brought it to La Paz about 6 years ago.

Now the fishing is so weak in La Paz, I am now considering leaving La Paz and Mexico altogether, looking to move my vacation home to a new location, possibly Costa Rica.

Statistically, my personal observations and experience serving as first hand verifiable statistical data, it appears with obvious certainty, fishing is fast approaching its last leg in the Sea of Cortez. Honestly. Can't find the bait, can't find the fish, the size, the quantities, and the varieties that had existed since forever until currently, and the demise has been easily observed and obvious.

The Mexican government is the last place to look for a correction. Absolutely and unequivocally not the answer. The Mexican government has been the unashamed facilitator to the demise of sea life in the SOC. And that is the truth and a current fact of life.

The USA hasn't had any better of a track record, either. I mean, where are the fish off the coast of So California today, off of Catalina even? My uncle, in the 50s, used to consistently catch big yellowtail, and tons of tuna off day party boats out of San Pedro and Long Beach. Heck, I used to consistently catch gunny sacks full of big rock fish off Ventura County in the 70s. All gone now.

What to do, what to do? Thinking of making a move.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
All gone now.

What to do, what to do? Thinking of making a move.

Movewhere? Move just to fish?
The grass is always greener syndrome,... It never really is.
Might be more prudent to take up a new hobby. Or join the greenies and fight for the defenseless.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 01:30 PM

Oh yeah, Goat, just to fish. That is the primary reason I got a vacation home in the Baja, in La Paz.

There are a gazillion other reasons: the food, the locals, the weather, the low cost of living, the affordability, the beauty, the ambiance, certain aspects of the culture.

I am not getting any younger. Every year, I have to take it a little slower than before. I know that I will have to leave Latin America altogether at some point (not that far off from today) for healthcare, security, and physical stress reasons. I know that I will eventually have to switch from offshore fishing to lake and stream fishing for physical reasons.

Fishing is an integral part of my life. I will accommodate that until I can't.

La Paz is/was the perfect place in Baja. Drivable from Southern California, relatively cheap round trip air transportation using Volaris airlines and crossing the border on foot to get to the Tijuana airport. Off shore fishing using my boat or using pangueros out of Los Muertos is very economical, comparatively. La Paz has all the Administrative agencies right in town, the best malecon in all of Mexico, buyable houses close to the airport, my house is 2 miles from the La Paz airport, many major supermarkets less than 3 miles from the house, not to mention Home Depot just 2.5 miles away, and, plenty of skilled labor, competitive choices for professional services, and parts, supplies and furnishings everywhere close by. It's perfect that way.

Can't say all those things about Loreto, Mulege, Los Barilles, Todos Santos, San Felipe, or any place on the Pacific side of the peninsula. Just two problems though: the La Paz area is becoming a little less secure and the fishing is going away...soon.

Before I bought a house in La Paz, I travelled to San Felipe, Cabo, Loreto, Mulege, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Guaymas/San Carlos, Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, and La Paz. La Paz met all my criteria and had all the resources, the others did not.

Got to be practical, all things must be considered appropriately and in proportion.

[Edited on 2-8-2015 by MitchMan]
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

puzzled.gif posted on 1-3-2019 at 02:33 PM
Any update, MitchMan?

MitchMan, it appears you have thought things through more than most.

How are you feeling about your situation three years later? Same, better, worse?

Did the fishing get better, same, worse?

Still thinking about bugging out? If so, where to? Costa Rica? Somewhere else?

Thanks for the great, detailed posts. Very helpful.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  

How are you feeling about your situation three years later? Same, better, worse?

Perhaps, as he last posted on Nomad in August (and it was his only post in all of 2018):

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90955#pid1130...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  

Great questions. I am curious now too. Hope he sees this and answers.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.