Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So how hard is it?
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 07:06 PM
So how hard is it?

Reading this forum it sounds like a lot of folks have altogether given up flying to Baja because of the red tape, hassle, costs, and the feeling that it's not like the good old days.

Good news is - I've never flown to Baja, so I don't know any different. ;D

I am an ASEL VFR guy with a couple hundred hours. My home field is short and I have some time on dirt/grass as well as in high/hot. Conversely, I don't spend much time with ATC or in B/C/D airspace. Yes, I'm working on my instrument rating. ;)

I'd be looking to rent a 172/182 from Brown Field in San Diego (don't remember the FBO at the moment).

Out of curiosity, if a person were to fly from Brown to, say, Asuncion, Abreojos, or similar, what all is involved?

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by chavycha]

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by chavycha]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 07:59 PM

call brown and ask. how many can you haul?

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 08:31 PM

Depends on what I rent! :D

In all reality, a 172 is a two-normal-person plus lots of stuff (or three people no stuff) airplane for a trip of that distance. A 182 can do three plus stuff. Maybe four if everyone packs real light and skips dinner the night before.

The outfit at Brown also rents a Cherokee 6 which can haul more, but I would prefer to take a Cessna as that's what I'm most familiar with.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 09:03 PM

You will be in for a green, lovely view during the flight this spring. The hurricanes watered Baja thoroughly.

I've flown with friends from San Diego into Baja. We departed Montgomery field for a trip in 2010, (don't recall equipment type), and from Gillespie for another in 2005, in a SkyMaster, carrying 4 people.

We had to check in at San Felipe before continuing south, to go thru MX paperwork, get FMMs, file flight plans etc.

(I believe they also topped off the fuel at San Felipe also before continuing south.)

Then we continued southwest- in both cases, to San Ignacio, and landed at their airstrip for a week of whalewatching.

Return north was similar: San Felipe for exit process, then Brown Field for US entry.

Not sure what pilot was required to show the officials, but those were the check-in/check-out destinations, as I recall.

Have fun!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 09:18 PM

The FBO at Brown Field is First Flight. Ask for Tom. The first time into Mexico is little tough but you just have to go with the flow. You will find a couple of hoops to jump through that will not make sense. I have been flying into Mexico since the early 70s and every time I go things are always different. If you send me a U2U I can give you all the information you need.
Rick
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 10:23 PM

To make it a lot easier to fly to Baja you would save a lot of aggravation if you join the Bush Pilots International, formerly known as Baja Bush Pilots. The introduction of eapis by the U.S. to cross the border has been followed by Mexicos own version of eapis which essentially duplicates the U.S. version. Eapis added levels of procedures not previously required. The Bush Pilots organization will do both US and Mexican eapis paper work for you as part of your membership, as well as supply you with all the information you need to fly in and out of Baja. At 40 or $45/year it is a bargain. There is way to much to try and cover in this thread, but the Bush Pilots organization will greatly streamline the effort.
www.bushpilotsinternational.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 09:57 AM

When you clear into and depart from Mexico, don't be in any hurry, as the process is very slow and bureaucratic (at least that was the case in Ensenada last June). I would highly suggest joining The Baja Bush Pilots... or under their new name Bush Pilots International.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 12:40 PM

Thanks all for the info. I wouldn't be planning to go until October at the earliest... but thought it might be a neat way to travel with a few friends. We'd fly commercial to San Diego (from Oregon) and then I'd fly us the rest of the way. I'll check into BBP as that time gets closer. Glad to hear it's still plenty doable if you're willing to deal with a bit of hoop-jumping.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 04:11 PM

AOPA website has all the info on Mexico AND how to navigate the EAPIS Custom's and Immigration notification system for private flyers for crossing the border. DO NOT GO unless you know how to work the INS issues. They are very precise and strict. You bust them and you go to jail (or part with a lot of money). It can be done, I've done it, but it does take some study.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
AOPA website has all the info on Mexico AND how to navigate the EAPIS Custom's and Immigration notification system for private flyers for crossing the border. DO NOT GO unless you know how to work the INS issues. They are very precise and strict. You bust them and you go to jail (or part with a lot of money). It can be done, I've done it, but it does take some study.

I am a member of both the AOPA and Baja Bush Pilots. There is no comparison in the service provided by AOPA in the "do it yourself" method of flying in Mexico, vs having the Bush Pilots do it all for you. Bush Pilots provide both the U.S. and Mexican versions of eapis filed for you plus providing detailed information on open airstrips free to members, one phone call for insurance, and access to up to date reports from members trips to Mexico on their website. They will keep you out of trouble if you follow their directions.
Simply put, Bush Pilots specialize in Mexican, Carribean, and Latin America travel, where AOPA is a great advocate for private aviation and has great political clout.In my opinion, any pilot should belong to both.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.