BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I Customized my Boat - Barber Chair, Etc.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 02:51 PM
I Customized my Boat - Barber Chair, Etc.

Tips on Customizing a New Used Boat the Easy Way

One of the most exciting aspects of buying your own new used boat is the ability to customize it according to your unique tastes and personality.

Your new boat is everything you were looking for. Well, almost. Most boat owners find themselves customizing or upgrading their boat to accommodate personal preferences in comfort, convenience and other representations of personal style, and because there's nothing as much fun as simply messing about in boats.

Below are a few more ideas for personalizing and customizing your new used boat.

Boat Name Change

The first thing most new used boat owners want to do is change the name on the back of the boat. The previous owner's idea of a "cute and catchy" boat name might make you cringe instead of chuckle, and certainly in some cases, a name change is priority number one. Use some thought on the new name...and Good Luck!

Canvas Upgrade

Canvas on a boat typically doesn't last longer than 5-6 years, so chances are your new used boat will need a canvas upgrade. Making changes to the bimini style, enclosures, and curtains are always options, but if you're considering a reconfiguration of the entire canvas set-up, this is a great time to tackle that project.

Some changes to the bimini or canvas are not spendy at all, and some are 'almost free'.... with a little imagination. :rolleyes:

Electronics

If your new used boat didn't come with the latest electronics, you may want to consider the many upgrade options for chart plotters, GPS, radar, fish finders and combination devices available on the market. Today's technology offers solutions to just anything on your electronics wish list. Be sure to use installation professionals if you do not possess the skills of licensed electrician.

I would advise getting a large viewing screen...size does make a difference. Saving space and money, mine sits on a gimble mount and can swivel to use as a snack table with beer holder.

Interior Finishes

Depending on the age of your new used boat, the interior may need little to no attention to satisfy your desires. On the other hand, a major overhaul may be required to truly create your optimal interior environment. This generally includes custom fabric for salon cushions, new mattresses and bedding. Adding personal touches such as throw pillows, accent lights, photos and other nautical decor will finalize your decorative expression...and keep your crew comfy and warm.

Boating Accessories

Fishing rod holders, fenders or fender holders, 'color-coordinated'? lines and other boating accessories are often added to new used boats. The US Coast Guard offers boater's free Vessel Safety Checks, to ensure boats are in safe working condition, and contain all required safety items such as tow lines, rain gear, life jackets and life preservers. Below Co-pilot contemplates my choice of tow line and life jacket....which proved useful during a minor boating incident.

SEATING & COMFORT

Now, in one such case, I wanted a more comfy helm chair for steering my tiller fishing boat...and also to double as a HUGE FISH fighting chair...which, of course, I really, really needed.

Co-pilot says, "YOU catch Huge Fish? These are the ones your friends call guppies, yes?"

I must add here that she knows nothing about my real-time fishing events. On with the business of a fighting chair...

I researched the chairs on the Internet and found some possibles...

From BOAT DEPOT.COM

" 80 Pound Tournament Fighting Chair with Stainless Steel Upgrade - Pompanette" (catchy name)
Low maintenance 80 lb. chair for smaller boats and budget conscious? anglers boasts all the features of our larger chairs.

$6,431.54 Hmm...a bit extravagant, right down to the 54 cents?

Okay, checked on Ebay = $2000...still seems a lot?

Aha! Co-pilot comes to the rescue of my wallet with an idea. Her amiga is doing a hair salon remodel and selling all her old salon chairs. The friend gives me a special deal for $50. "Hey, I'll be saving around $6000 over the one from Boat Depot. Now THAT'S more like it!"

Co-pilot smiles her Lisa smile....which always seems a little ominous to me.

Left = $6143.54 at Boat Depot.....................................................................Right = $2000 on eBay.

The Hair Salon Bargain = 50 bucks.

A real plus for home haircuts.

The chair was perfectly adaptable to the tiller position and also for securing to the deck. Swivels 360 degrees, has a hydraulic foot pump for up & down, arm rests, very comfortable for a long ride, and is handy for a neck massage from Co-pilot enroute to the fishing hole. Life is good.

For your trailer. If you travel on gravel for more than a mile or so, you'll want to get one of these. An added feature is...the gravel against the metal noise reminds one of an old-time popcorn machine.

ANOTHER good thing to add might be a pompano-proof trailer connection.

Time & trouble to retrieve lost boat..............a lot of $$$
A Co-pilot who does not criticize you at this time ... priceless.

I hope you're having fun customizing YOUR boat?

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.