Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Casa Hogar del Ancianos, Home for Elderly Gentlemen
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 02:02 PM
Casa Hogar del Ancianos, Home for Elderly Gentlemen

Last week we stopped by Casa Hogar to drop off some food items. We called ahead to make sure Penny would be there. When we arrived most of the grandpas were outside enjoying the sunshine. Penny gave a grand tour of the facility inside and out. They have done a great job of making the facility a comfortable environment, more a homelike vibe than one of a hospital.

They have found a local doctor who visits about once a month and cares for the residents medical needs, at no charge! Were told all are in much better shape as a result.

They are very grateful for the donations that have been coming in, but the need is ongoing. Believe us when we say a stop with some donated food and other necessities will brighten your day as much as theirs. On our last day of our Baja trips we ask each other what was the highlight, what was your favorite meal, etc. We both found our visit to Casa Hogar was the highlight!

Ken and Paula

Here is where you turn off Mex 1, just north of Camalu, mp 149+-

like this sign, they need support

Penny and to her left staff member Isiais

Frederico, 62, Autism and Epilepsy. He ended up showing us several of his belts, hats, and some personal photos. Penny said this was unusual for him to be so open.

Alonso, 64, mentally challenged with no family.

Adolfo, 84, beginning stages of Alzheimer's. Like others he has no family.

Enrique, 83, very healthy came to home 8 years ago to help out and has become a resident.

Alejandro, 82, beginning stages of Alzheimer's.

[Edited on 2-23-2015 by tripledigitken]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 07:51 PM

Your pics are stupendous .... wow.....you captured their essence. Thanks ever so much for posting!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 08:47 PM

Ken, thank you so much for your beautiful photos and great descriptions! As Blanca said, you really captured the essence of this home.

It was great to see a picture of my friend Penny included. She is their guardian angel and just such a good person!

It is great to add you to the list of members of this forum who have become involved. Every donation is so important.

Wow--- it was a highlight for you and Paula and that is easy to understand. It is a real home full of love and the men are so well cared for. We can all only wish for such care in our fading years.

But as you said, the need goes on and on and on.

Thank you, and yes we hope more and more nomads will brighten their day by stopping by and meeting these special gentlemen.

Blanca, I am helping Penny with the facebook page and we would love to have that video you took. :-)

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 09:23 PM

folks, it literally takes 10 minutes each way off the highway IF YOU ARE NOT IN A HURRY!!! we made it in 6 minutes each way last summer!

normally, at the end of our 10 day trip we try to give away our left-overs. if you've ever camped with us you know that means a box of stuff! we're committed to stopping on our way north in the future to hand off our extras and you should too! but don't let that stop you from dropping by headed south.....

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 12:12 PM

Diane,

Thanks for bringing them to our attention. One tip about food donations, the canned pineapple chunks were a big hit with a couple of the guys!

Ken

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Ken, thank you so much for your beautiful photos and great descriptions! As Blanca said, you really captured the essence of this home.

It was great to see a picture of my friend Penny included. She is their guardian angel and just such a good person!

It is great to add you to the list of members of this forum who have become involved. Every donation is so important.

Wow--- it was a highlight for you and Paula and that is easy to understand. It is a real home full of love and the men are so well cared for. We can all only wish for such care in our fading years.

But as you said, the need goes on and on and on.

Thank you, and yes we hope more and more nomads will brighten their day by stopping by and meeting these special gentlemen.

Blanca, I am helping Penny with the facebook page and we would love to have that video you took. :-)

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 03:41 PM

Canned is good but they told us they can always use fresh chicken. ;)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 08:10 PM

Chicken, pineapple, it is all good --- and all so worth the beautiful smiles. :biggrin:

Ken, thank you very much for permission to use your wonderful photos on the facebook page. It was a very good addition to this new and evolving page.

Penny really enjoyed meeting you two and hopes you will return!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 09:11 PM

We have dropped off stuff, and it's good. I would love to give money every month to these guys. Please let us know the best way.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
We have dropped off stuff, and it's good. I would love to give money every month to these guys. Please let us know the best way.

GREAT! Not everyone who has dropped off donations has been seen, and it is so good to know another one of the donors is. Every donor encourages another donor. THANK YOU.

For their personal reasons, Penny will not set up a pay pal account, but we are working on another possibility for cash donations.

A few people have sent money to me and I deposit it into Penny's US Bank Account The only problem is that there is not a branch of her bank where I live, but we travel to the Carson City area on the average of every 6 weeks where there is a branch. Penny then makes sure ther donor knows how the money is spent.

The nomad donors have made a big difference in the lives of these men, and we just hope it continues.

Anyone who wants some other information and would rather not ask on the public forum, PLEASE u2u me.

Diane

Penny F.
Junior Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 10:17 PM

Thank you so much for Everyones support, you are some of the Most Generous, Loving, Caring group of people I've ever known! You have All made such a Big Impact on these Mens lives, as well as mine! From the bottom of our Hearts, THANK YOU, and GOD BLESS, Penny snd the Grandpas
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 10:38 PM

Penny. Wrong, GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS
Penny F.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 08:25 AM

Thank you Maron, but God Blessed me the day he sent me to this home! My life has been Forever Changed! These men have taught me so much about Love, Respect, and Dignity! This has been a very Humbling experience for me! These Grandpas have nothing and still manage to be Grateful! We could All learn a lesson from them, More is not always the answer to Happiness! Thank you so much for your support. Penny and the Granpas
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 08:32 AM

Welcome to Nomads Penny, God bless you for the work you do...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Penny F.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 02:47 PM

I'm very excited to be a Nomad, to be a part of such a Loving, Caring group of people is an Honor! I would Love to meet each and every one of you! :bounce:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 08:43 PM

Hi Penny. :biggrin::biggrin:

And thank you very much, Maron --- the mail arrived. :bounce::bounce:

Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:27 PM

A group of Baja buddies planning on heading south in early June with a stop there. Will bring items for the guys, but isn't there a young girl living there too? Wondering what age she is so we maybe could brighten her day a little too! I have a young gd in 1st grade so I'm sure she would help me shop!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:37 PM

Nappo,

The prior caretakers had a child, no more, the caretaker now is Juan. Please do stop they will be happy that you did, and you will too!

Ken

Quote: Originally posted by Nappo  
A group of Baja buddies planning on heading south in early June with a stop there. Will bring items for the guys, but isn't there a young girl living there too? Wondering what age she is so we maybe could brighten her day a little too! I have a young gd in 1st grade so I'm sure she would help me shop!
Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:40 PM

Thx for that, so I would like a little more info on the care takers, as they are sometimes forgotten. No children?? Husband/wife/...??
thx
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nappo  
Thx for that, so I would like a little more info on the care takers, as they are sometimes forgotten. No children?? Husband/wife/...??
thx

Nappo,
I will find out that information from Penny --- or since she now joined nomads, maybe she will see this.

There is a main caretaker, Juan, and an assistant caretaker, Isais. I will be posting some more pictures mostly taken by Juan. I hope you and your buddies will contact Penny when you go down as she loves to meet everyone her helps her "grandpas" and she is well worth meeting. If you would like, I can again post her phone number and e-mail.

Everything is so appreciated! THANK YOU.

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 09:36 AM

I would be happy to share my home in San Diego as a staging area for Nomads in the area to drop things off, and those passing through on their way south to pick up. I'm very conveniently located between the 5 and 805 in North Park.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.