BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kobeys near Sports Arena?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 07:31 PM
Kobeys near Sports Arena?

Have always shopped in San Diego before crossing into Baja and heading south. I like full loads. And have always enjoyed a day at Kobey's Swap Meet near the Sports Arena. We always find some plunder. Is this still open?... a fun thing?...or has it become a zoo?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 07:54 PM

Haven't been to Kobey's for a long time but it's still happening. The swap meet at Qualcomm huge and on our list of things to do. Drove by it this morning and the entire lot was full of vendors.

http://www.qualcommstadiumswapmeet.com/

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 07:58 PM

Thanks, Bajaboy. I never knew about the Qualcomm meet, but I know that area and will check it out. Kobey's may be a little worn these days. Have not been there since 2008. One thing for sure, you can get plenty of walking exercise.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 07:26 AM

Kobey's is still there. It is smaller now than in the past, most sellers are professional junk dealers like myself; not so many "garage sale" people. You are required to have a business license and a sales tax resale permit to sell there now. In the old days it was much more of a "zoo" than today. Now its all sanitized; mainly just cheap made in China stuff and storage auction people like myself although there are still some bargains to be had.

To get a little more on topic, in the past I had a lot of customers that would come up from Tijuana to buy used clothing but no longer. They say that importation of used clothing in to Mexico has been prohibited. I do still sell a lot of tools and electronics to my Mexican friends.

Reference "The Weekend Storage Warrior, Storage Auctions for Fun and Profit" by Jens Tobias, book available on Amazon. I wrote it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 09:12 AM

Good info on Kobey's Meet on Sports Arena Blvd, bajaric. We stopped there for many years before going on to the house in Baja Sur. Would often meet other Baja folks shopping all those stalls. Once we met Bill Alvarado in the '80's, he told us most of the patio furniture at Pt. Chivato Hotel came from bargains made at the Swap Meet. I have always enjoyed auctions, swap meets, flea markets, segundos, and such. One always expects to find a rare treasure. I can understand how newer regulations have changed the industry and it's character. Good luck with your business.

Swap meets in Baja....I recall when a lot of us used to participate in the annual Posada Beach Sale. A good time to clear your garage of hundreds of Needful Things, and make a party of it while meeting new friends. Alas, it became a thing of the past when permits and fees derailed it. Hey, I managed to get rid of that one-antlered moose head. Good times!

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 07:49 PM

Roger...

Ever been to the Orange County swap meet at the OC Fairgrounds? It's huge and fun to shop. Every Saturday and Sun except during the OC Fair

Miguelamo

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 08:00 PM

Gracias, Miguelamo...I know that area, too, and will put it on my Too Do list. I still have an old T-shirt bought at a swap meet. A favorite that says "So many Lures, so little Time"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.