Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: HEADING TO BAJA IN APRIL
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 01:20 PM
HEADING TO BAJA IN APRIL

I'm getting down to the short strokes. Driving down with truck/camper for 6 weeks or fishing... shore, inflatable, panga etc.

I have a 2WD dually... I suppose 4WD would be preferred,maybe next trip but this is what I have for now.

Planning on working my way down, if fishing is good hang-out, if slow just site see and move on to next place.

Planning on hitting BOLA first, then over to Bahia Asuncion.

I have a couple questions....

1). With my 2WD rig plus light weight camper... can I make it from BOLA south to San Francisquito? (I've reviewed youtube videos and this looks doable) Any thoughts are welcome.

2). Road that cuts off to Bahia Las Animas? OK or no...how close can I get. I have a great balloon tire dolly for 12' achilles, so I can hump it for launching.

3). South from San Francisquito to El Arco back to Mex 1. Looking at Youtube I'd say this is a NO. A lot of stretches with deep sand. What do you think?

4). Bahia Asuncion to La Bocana... can you? could I drive direct route south or would I need to cut back to Mex 1?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Diesel is a concern as well....I have 27 gal tank, worst case 12 mpg.:)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 01:31 PM

Hi,

While you may get some general answers now, road conditions can change quickly.

The road from Bahia Asuncion to La Bocana is usually quite passable even for small cars. The locals drive it all the time. However, parts of it can be washboard h*ell at times, and if it rains, there are a couple of areas that could be a problem and they are rather slow to drain. If it is dry, the salt flats can be great to drive, but just follow the locals tire tracks. On the other hand, if they are wet stay away.

Again, some general answers will come your way and even some very current reports, but check again right before you leave for Baja and again when you are there!

On the pacific side, it will be the windy season, but just a little inland and it all changes.

Have fun!

[Edited on 2-25-2015 by DianaT]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 02:14 PM

Getting from BOLA to El Arco will be no problem. That road is well travelled so you should be fine. With that said, it can be slow going and rough in some places. Last drove it at Thanksgiving and it was in good shape.

You might consider camping at Playa San Rafael with Pancho. Great beach access and decent fishing. I don't have any firsthand info for Animas but have heard that there is soft sand near the beach.

As Diana stated, unless it has recently rained, you should have little problem getting to La Bocana as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Zac

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 02:21 PM

Popeye, My road info is too old to be useful (three months) but I can think of three stretches of the route to Las Animas, San Franciscuito, and El Arco that would stop your dually back then.
I always drop the air pressure for that stretch, but I have a light vehicle with over sized tires. With the tall narrow tires and the weight of your dually, how low can you go before the sidewalls start rubbing?
Probably 95% or more of the route will be alright, but the one or two percent that isn't can be a huge pain in the @ss!
In short, if I had the luxury of a camper like yours, I would probably try it if I was traveling with at least one other rig capable of helping me through a soft spot or two. Traveling alone, I would wait for better info from someone who has recently done what you are planning.
It wouldn't hurt to bump this thread when you get a little closer to crossing the border. I am thinking of another trip S.O.B about then, and I am sure others might be considering pairing up as well.
Happy trails!

Edit: Time marches on, my info is four months old! Sounds like the road got better (Bajaboys post). Probably not so much with Las Animas though.

[Edited on 2-25-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 04:40 PM

Make sure you have a GOOD/ fast air pump (the ones that clip onto the battery not plug into cigarette lighter).

Airing down will always get you out of sand and up rough grades... depending how much you air down.

Almost none of the locals of Baja have 4WD, and they get their trucks in and out of fish camps and cattle ranches OK... driving technique and great tires (and lowering the air pressure) is more important than 4WD and locking differentials (did I really say that?)!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 04:56 PM

like has been said: if it hasn't rained, the way from asuncion to la bocana should be. Under normal circumstances, the drive is 1.5 hours. In your case maybe count on more time. and please don't do it in the dark since their is really little traffic if you should have a problem. Be sure to stop by and introduce yourself! we are the 2 story white house at the end of the electric line along Calle Erizo (beach front)

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 10:52 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input, Bajaboy Playa SR on the list, thanks. Blanca, will stop by to say hi, thanks.

AKGringo, I'll U2U plans as the harden up in the next week or two....

DavidK, not having a 4x4 causes one to think of some interesting things I think. I know that the dually end has a good locker and floats pretty good in snow, sand etc... (all relative), but the front end sinks till she finds bottom. So I don't think 4x4 without the float in the front end would be all that helpful if you can't find bottom quick enough.

This weekend doing some air tests in rear, see how far I need to go down, or can go down without sidewalls rubbing.

Also, this weekend or next, throwing duallys on the front, just to see... can't see why not, see how much steering, bolt them to the back, slam them on when I need float...crazy idea, but just maybe? :bounce:

OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 11:32 PM

Popeye
Please check your U2U
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 12:30 AM

First of all, I am jealous!!!! Six weeks!!!!!

BOLA is not known for great near shore fishing (at least near the heart of it) but since it is just about as beautiful as it gets, who cares? April can be brutal for winds on the Cortez...that is with a capital "B".

As stated, the road conditions are only as good as the last storm and the most recent person to travel them. As DK stated, a good air compressor and a variety of ways to fix flats helps.

Las Animas is amazing...try to get there (safely) with your rig.

The best fishing that time of year will probably be for Corvina and you can get them from shore with chrome Krocs (and smaller hooks and squid for amazing Trigger dinners.)
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 07:07 AM

Drove south from BOLA in October in a 4X4 Tundra. A few nasty sections. As stated, conditions do change . I always have shovels and a pinch bar with me.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
First of all, I am jealous!!!! Six weeks!!!!!

BOLA is not known for great near shore fishing (at least near the heart of it) but since it is just about as beautiful as it gets, who cares? April can be brutal for winds on the Cortez...that is with a capital "B".

As stated, the road conditions are only as good as the last storm and the most recent person to travel them. As DK stated, a good air compressor and a variety of ways to fix flats helps.

Las Animas is amazing...try to get there (safely) with your rig.

The best fishing that time of year will probably be for Corvina and you can get them from shore with chrome Krocs (and smaller hooks and squid for amazing Trigger dinners.)

Bahia las Animas from the 'mystery walls':

and up close...

You can see one of the walls on the distant hillside.

The Las Flores ghost town with its jail is passed a few miles south of L.A. Bay's south edge.

Old railroad line...

Goes from Las Flores south to the tram line below the San Juan mines.

Daggett family buried there.

L.A. Bay from the road heading south.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:49 PM

you will have no problem from BOLA to San Fran and back out to Hwy 1. No airing down and no problems with sand will be an issue. last year I went to Las Animas and went all the way in 2 wheel drive with no issues........ But I would walk anything that looked a little sketchy. Side note...... after seeing las animas I will skip it from now on. Get down to san francisquito (especially cause you have a boat).

At San Francisquito you want to look up Beto. He is 1 mile due north of the traditional San Francisquito resort. instead of the hard right that leads you to the airstrip, take a left and head towards the north. Beto has cabins and hot water. he is very accomidating unlike the folks at SF. If you are traveling self-sufficient and don't require hot water, the pallapas at SF are nice. It is an incredible place to view and sleep. They have cots, but wont tell you unless you ask. Make your deal with them for camping first ..... then set up and come and ask them for the cots..... if you carry them to your pallapa they usually wont charge you. Have a great trip!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 12:06 AM

What didn't you like at Las Animas? The Marine Biology Field Trips that Marv Sherrill used to lead were so popular there because it had everything a remote Baja beach could offer.

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 12:18 AM

Shhhhhhh David...Las Animas is a horrible place!

One of my favorite Baja small boat fishing moments was off the south end of that island in your pic. A seal crashed the rocks for some dinner and a few dozen fish flipped up out of the water and in the middle of them was a Golden Leopard grouper catching the rays of the setting sun...it was beautiful.
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 08:46 AM

Awesome fotos DK, thanks for taking the time to share.

I'll be stopping in at BOLA, Animas, Rafael and SF for sure. Whether I back track to BOLA or head to Arco still TBD... adding winch to rig now (got a deal from a pal). Upgrading air compressor (I have a Honda Gen so I can use 120VAC). Plus I'm still toying with the dually's up front...we'll see this weekend if its a completely ridiculous back up plan or not.

Where is diesel available on this route to SF?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 09:08 AM

I installed a good sized inverter on my Dodge and use a regular compressor (110v) ....Works fine...also runs an impact wrench to get all those big lug nuts off...and powers my freezer on the way down.....way easier than dinking with generators or toy tools...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by POPEYE-SCOTT  
Awesome fotos DK, thanks for taking the time to share.

I'll be stopping in at BOLA, Animas, Rafael and SF for sure. Whether I back track to BOLA or head to Arco still TBD... adding winch to rig now (got a deal from a pal). Upgrading air compressor (I have a Honda Gen so I can use 120VAC). Plus I'm still toying with the dually's up front...we'll see this weekend if its a completely ridiburrous back up plan or not.

Where is diesel available on this route to SF?

As you may have seen from previous trip reports, off the road to El Arco are a couple of fascinating sites to see...

1) Mission Santa Gertrudis, founded in 1752.
2) Pozo de Aleman ghost town, underground living for miners.
3) Mesa de Carmen giant rock paintings
There is more, but it is Baja afterall, and the place has so much to offer the adventurer and photographer! All three of the above sites are in my 2012 trip report (link in my signature below).

[Edited on 2-27-2015 by David K]

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 01:58 PM

Pemex at BOLA has diesel. Then again at Vizcaino.

BOLA to SAN FRAN 85 miles.
SAN FRAN to VIZCAINO (80 miles. heading south at El Arco)

you will be fine. Largest run for my F250 Diesel I have to be mindful of is between EL Rosario and Villa Jesus Maria, around 200 miles.

I have also found the road south from el arco to Vizcaino to be smooth and well traveled.... although I haven't used it in 2 years. you may check with a local. Do check out Pozo Aleman really cool
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 02:01 PM

Tom, you are speaking of the former paved highway into El Arco (Mex 18) from Mex 1, the old main Baja road straight south, or cutting back to the Guillermo Prieto shortcut?

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 02:56 PM

on your close up map the road that goes by ELENA. Ive used it a few times when heading from San Francisquito to San Ignacio.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.