Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: HEADING TO BAJA IN APRIL
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 03:16 PM
ELENA route

I drove the route from El Arco south through Elena on Oct 20, after Norbert and Odile washed the area. Although I did not have to put my hubs in, it was a challenging two wheel drive. The road damage would be a fairly easy repair compared to the roads that have been washed out down to cobbles and bed rock, but if it has not been fixed, the center route would be the way to go.
There was a lot of loose sand, and high centering in a few spots. It was being used by locals, but not much.

[Edited on 2-28-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
on your close up map the road that goes by ELENA. Ive used it a few times when heading from San Francisquito to San Ignacio.

That is the original transpeninsular road, but I had heard that it is washed out and many gates have to be opened to cross through farms and ranch lands on it....?

The Guillermo Prieto short cut road remains excellent, just to the east.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 07:20 PM

DK, The Las Flores Jail is the one Herman Hill wrote about? I figured it must be because of its layout described in his book.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 08:09 PM

If I'm reading it right, you are starting in April and have 6 weeks. Not knowing when you will be where, you should make yourself aware that the "other" Baja 1000 will be running through where you plan to be on Sunday and Monday the 26th. and 27th. Last year the route included some of the roads that have been suggested. There is no pre-running, no GPS waypoints etc. but a rally format with the course books being kept secret. (sort of) If it were me I'd look for a good place to spectate and plan on being in the middle of it. If that doesn't appeal, I'd make sure to be out of the way before they trash hell out of the roads! https://www.norra.com/mexican1000.php There is also a Facebook fan page, but it doesn't have much about the course. Last year the course was published on line, but I can't remember how soon before the race. The bikes will be in your area first, and the cars the next day.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2015 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
DK, The Las Flores Jail is the one Herman Hill wrote about? I figured it must be because of its layout described in his book.

Yes, that is the jail that Herman wrote about in his book.

Inside, the two sides Herman mentioned, one for the drunks the other for the gold.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Make sure you have a GOOD/ fast air pump (the ones that clip onto the battery not plug into cigarette lighter).

Airing down will always get you out of sand and up rough grades... depending how much you air down.

Almost none of the locals of Baja have 4WD, and they get their trucks in and out of fish camps and cattle ranches OK... driving technique and great tires (and lowering the air pressure) is more important than 4WD and locking differentials (did I really say that?)!!
This so true,But if your not Mexican.You cant do it. Mexicans driving 80s Toyota car Bald tires can go where you cant go with 4X4.We have seen them get out when car is stuck,all six of them push,lift car up,or get shovel out the back. :) Good Idea to air down better ride,We let our VW down to 10psi.My big and small trucks 18/20psi
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 04:07 PM

Just to be accurate Popeye, GPS WILL be used in some classes of the race. I still haven't found any course maps on line. Information about the course maps are in this link. http://www.norra.com/racer_alerts.php

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 07:33 PM

I went through there in October. The section between Bahia San Rafael and El Progreso had sections that had been recently graded from the hurricanes, and were extremely chewed up and very sandy-soft.

I have no idea how your truck would do. I went through in 4WD.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 08:01 PM

Thanks Vgabndo for the scoops on Baja 1000. Wow, something to be aware of for sure. I would love to (KNOWINGLY) be ring side. :o

Really good information from all. Thank you.

One report of no diesel at BOLA is something to monitor for sure.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 08:29 PM

It's a great race to watch...You won't believe some of the stuff that goes by!
'59 Ford Edsel is always a highlite

TT
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 08:45 PM

Both routes south from el arco should be fine. diesel at BOLA has never been a problem for me. I think your travel dates will even help you in this matter. The NORRA usually goes through BOLA, it is scheduled for the 26-29 of april. If you are in BOLA before the 27th you should have plenty of diesel available. If traveling these roads during those dates...... watch your mirrors.
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 08:47 PM

No diesel at junction of Mex 1 & 12, or in BOLA would shut make this leg of the journey a NO-GO. Or maybe extra jugs. The darn truck only holds 27 gallons (GMC, what the hell is that about?). But I could easily carry 5 or 6, 5 gal jugs I suppose. Fill em up in El Rosario... Problem Solved :bounce:
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 08:58 AM

Diesel is not regularly found at the junction (gas out of barrels from a guy in a pickup), but it is readily available in BOLA. I am surprised by the post that said they were out, this would be an unusual incident. You cant get hurt with an extra 5-10 gallons ever! Don't let the fuel worry you, 27 gallons and an extra 5 in a jug = good times.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 09:05 AM

April's 'Mexican 1000' by NORRA is a different event than the November 'Baja 1000' by SCORE.

The NORRA event is a 3 day or more rally with overnight stops and has classic vehicles from the old days of Baja races (when NORRA ran the first Baja races before SCORE). The SCORE event is a race, many classes, non-stop to the finish.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
April's 'Mexican 1000' by NORRA is a different event than the November 'Baja 1000' by SCORE.

The NORRA event is a 3 day or more rally with overnight stops and has classic vehicles from the old days of Baja races (when NORRA ran the first Baja races before SCORE). The SCORE event is a race, many classes, non-stop to the finish.

Popeye...This year is a little different. Essentially there are as many as three races. The first three days will all be in northern Baja, beginning and ending in Ensenada. The Cortez Rally. There is an off day, then the next four days of the NORRA Mexican 1000. OR, you can race all 7 days which is called the Cortez Challenge.
There are 42 classes of cars and bikes. Perhaps the two big differences from the SCORE Baja Mil are the major vintage division, and the inclusion of Rally Raid type cars in the Evolution classes. There is a motorcycle class for Classic British Thumpers too. Here's some info from last year: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73633&pag...

Bill Kauth

POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 08:53 PM

Hola,

I'm planning on crossing the border at Tijuana first light Monday April 13th.

I'll be needing a place to camp for the night on the US side of the border, any suggestions for a RV park?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 08:13 AM

I was surprised how well set up the rest stop on I-5 in San Diego was. If you don't need hook ups, you should check it out. It's right next to a beach too, but I believe it is military access only.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 12:20 PM

Popeye-Scott

Chula Vista RV Park and Marina is great. A bit pricey, but really nice. Two waterfront restaurants within easy walking distance. Easy on/off of the 5. Minutes to the Mexico crossing.
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 01:46 PM

AK, can't do the military, had 10 years Navy Reserve. In the old days I imagine my old ID would work but in todays day and age, might get sent to Guantanamo :o

Maron, I'll set my sights on CV RV Park...sounds perfect. Thanks.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 05:32 PM
Not military rest-stop!

The rest stop I was referring to is part of the I-5 right of way, free public access.
What I meant was that I think the shore line is military base with no access. But I could be wrong, I was just passing through.

Edit...free works for me, I travel on the cheap when I can and stretch my time SOB

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by AKgringo]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.