[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 02:44 PM
best rv border crossing

What is the best Baja border crossing going north form Baja in a
38 foot motorhome with tow vehicle
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 03:14 PM

I'd cross Otay. Straight shot across from Ave 2000.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 06:28 PM

Do NOT take Tecate.

The new San Ysidro/TJ entry is ok for motorhomes.

jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 07:47 AM

Went with a buddy in his motor home through the San Ysidro entry Friday. Was going through a regular lane when we were redirected to the far right lane. We needed to show our registration and proof of US insurance. Why do they need to see that? Then we had to go through this giant motor home size open air facility. We were told to get out of the vehicle and go behind this wall. Then we heard these loud zapping noises similar to an x-ray machine. We got back into the motor home and were told to park off to the side and someone would be with us. After about 10 minutes with no one in sight, I got out and walked over to a lady standing in front of what looked like a computer. I asked how long did we have to wait and she said we could go. All in all, about a 20 minute delay getting into Mexico. Does anyone know what this is all about and if there hadn't been an agent at the front of the entry lanes to redirect us, could we have just gone through a regular entry lane and been on our way? On the plus side, coming back to the US on Sunday through Otay, for the first time in my buddies motor home lifetime, we did not have to go to secondary.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jodiego  
Does anyone know what this is all about and if there hadn't been an agent at the front of the entry lanes to redirect us, could we have just gone through a regular entry lane and been on our way?

I think this is about stolen vehicles. That's why registration, license etc. Plus, checking for illegal stuff.

This can happen even if you go through regular lane - any border agent is authorized to do these additional checks. Happened to me once in a regular lane in SY, Northbound.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 04:46 PM

We needed to show our registration and proof of US insurance. Why do they need to see that?

Because they are dix!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 04:53 PM

So, was this in the US before you crossed or in Mexico after you crossed???

Went with a buddy in his motor home through the San Ysidro entry Friday. Was going through a regular lane when we were redirected to the far right lane. We needed to show our registration and proof of US insurance. Why do they need to see that? Then we had to go through this giant motor home size open air facility. We were told to get out of the vehicle and go behind this wall. Then we heard these loud zapping noises similar to an x-ray machine. We got back into the motor home and were told to park off to the side and someone would be with us. After about 10 minutes with no one in sight, I got out and walked over to a lady standing in front of what looked like a computer. I asked how long did we have to wait and she said we could go. All in all, about a 20 minute delay getting into Mexico. Does anyone know what this is all about and if there hadn't been an agent at the front of the entry lanes to redirect us, could we have just gone through a regular entry lane and been on our way? On the plus side, coming back to the US on Sunday through Otay, for the first time in my buddies motor home lifetime, we did not have to go to secondary.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 06:16 PM

All motor homes have to use the far right lane at S.Y. Then after they check vin numbers, registrations and sometimes the inside of your rig, you are instructed to drive your RV into the x-ray lane where you must exit your vehicle and stand behind a wall for protection. After they x-ray your vehicle, you are instructed to park to the right until they are finished examining the x-ray results of your vehicle on the computer terminal in the middle of the pavement.

I have never been asked to show U.S. auto insurance.

[Edited on 5-5-2015 by Bob53]

[Edited on 5-5-2015 by Bob53]

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
jodiego
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 07:45 AM

This all took place in Mexico and here's the part of the story I didn't tell you. My friend not only did not have his current registration, but he had forgotten a small revolver that he had placed in the RV weeks earlier, which obviously was not detected by the X-ray machine. So we had to go back to the US, which was an interesting adventure in itself. We had to get in a line with several other vehicles (no RV's) and wait for the official in an official vehicle to lead us to the gate that gets us in line to go back to the states. This happened to us many years ago and I remember the guy just opening the gate and us fending for ourselves to get in the line. But this time the nice man got out of his vehicle, opened the gate, and allowed each vehicle to merge one at a time into the line, which I thought was really nice of him to do. Anyway, we went back into the US, my friends wife, who had taken the registration out to give to the tax man and forgot to put it back, met us at the Von's parking lot off Palm Avenue in IB. We got the registration, gave her the gun, and reentered Mexico, going through the same process we had gone through about an hour earlier. That's when we were directed to park, waited about 10 minutes and approached an official that said we could go. Regarding the gun, I guess we were pretty lucky.
jodiego
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 07:56 AM

......and I didn't notice any signs directing motor homes to the far right hand lane. Did I miss them?
Photobum

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 09:15 AM

There are no signs. Usually on the the Mexicans at the crossing will wave you over to the right. Of course they do not explain anything to you. Took me over an hour as they were trying to repair the X-ray machine at the same time.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by edm1  
Do NOT take Tecate.

The new San Ysidro/TJ entry is ok for motorhomes.

I have crossed Mexicalli, Tecate, Otay and Tijuna going both directions they are all doable Tecate being my favorite.
When we first started coming to Baja we had a 37ft diesel pusher and we now have a 36ft 5th wheel it's a little tight at Tecate but very doable
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 11:13 AM

If I am driving my RV, I always cross at Tecate when returning to the U.S. The best days are on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Every other day there is usually a long line.

When entering Baja from the states, I always cross at San Ysidro.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 03:45 PM

This all took place in Mexico and here's the part of the story I didn't tell you. My friend not only did not have his current registration, but he had forgotten a small revolver that he had placed in the RV weeks earlier, which obviously was not detected by the X-ray machine. So we had to go back to the US, which was an interesting adventure in itself. We had to get in a line with several other vehicles (no RV's) and wait for the official in an official vehicle to lead us to the gate that gets us in line to go back to the states. This happened to us many years ago and I remember the guy just opening the gate and us fending for ourselves to get in the line. But this time the nice man got out of his vehicle, opened the gate, and allowed each vehicle to merge one at a time into the line, which I thought was really nice of him to do. Anyway, we went back into the US, my friends wife, who had taken the registration out to give to the tax man and forgot to put it back, met us at the Von's parking lot off Palm Avenue in IB. We got the registration, gave her the gun, and reentered Mexico, going through the same process we had gone through about an hour earlier. That's when we were directed to park, waited about 10 minutes and approached an official that said we could go. Regarding the gun, I guess we were pretty lucky.

That gun could have gotten a world of hurt if it was discovered by Mexican authorities.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.