Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Ignacio to San Juanico
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 05:55 PM

Any word on the condition of the north roads right now?

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
skibum

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 08:53 PM

Road is good shape. A few people have had trouble in the salt flats with mud. Real problem is that arroyos been flowing heavy off and on. Not always good to cross, depending on the rain falling in the mountains in 6 to 24 hours prior. Strange weather. Rain in San Juanico in July, lots of rain in the mountains. If you're crossing arroyos on the south road there is a lot of traffic and you can see if people are making it. If something goes wrong, you are likely to get some help. North road... crickets.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 05:47 PM
Bump for Marisad

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 11:12 AM

We made the trek from San Juanico to San Diego by the north road last weekend.

There is some water at the arroyo in la Ballena. This arroyo proved pretty easy to traverse, but it had a current, and so I got out of the car and walked alongside it to have a good look before we made the attempt. There was also water on the sand/mud trails south of Campo Datil, which looked forbidding. We were on the verge of turning back for San Juanico.

Then out of nowhere came a local with his family. He too didn't want to attempt it but said that there was another way in. So we followed them, but then they said that the other way was impassible. They said that they would attempt to cross the water-laden mud/sand trail, since the water didn't look that deep. I followed him like a chickie duck follows the mama duck. Both of us made it through without any problem. (BTW, I speak Spanish, or I would not have been able to have this conversation.)

When we reached Datil, he knew a bunch of shortcuts through the camp that kept us off some of the soggier trails. Then he and his family continued up the beach trail, and we took the middle road out of the camp town, never to see them again.

From there to San Ignacio the road was in great shape.

The rest of the ride was fine, except that my dogs have developed the dangerous habit of bounding out of the car at the military inspections, which is hugely stressful for me. I have to figure out a strategy, such as tying long leashes to them so that they cannot go anywhere if they make the attempt, and I have to have gentle leaders. They have led the free life for so long in southern Baja, and I have given them such free rein, that we have some adjustments to make to city living.

Now that we have been back in San Diego (Point Loma) for a week, they seem to recall the rules of urban living and are well-enough behaved here, but for whatever reason they love to go bounding out of the car anytime we are on the road in Baja, which is an issue I need to resolve!

Even so, I wish the military inspections were more discriminating: They should interview each driver, and then conduct a thorough search only of vehicles that they find suspicious, rather than a perfunctory search of every vehicle on successive occasions every 100 miles!

For me the last time was outright stressful at San Ignacio and again at San Felipe, where both times my dogs ended up on the highway, with me running after them. But nothing happened, thank God.

[Edited on 8-8-2015 by Zola]

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
marisad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 08:45 AM

Heading to Scorpion Bay this Saturday 8/22. Any new reports on the north road?
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 03:33 AM

Does anyone have any information on the roads/trails from San Ignacio to San Juanico? Much obliged for any response. Thanks.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 01:30 PM

The silt beds are very deceiving for novice riders/drivers....for the first 100 feet....and then one realizes they are navigating deep ruts which go every-which-way....complicated by rocks and chupacabras....

Take the low road....it's easier to wash off your rig than wait a week for surgery (part of which is following the kind and caring encouragement of riding buddy for two full days of riding and limping around Asuncion for a few days on a broken leg...although it is a good place to get some good nursing.....)

RIP Stan.....

[Edited on 10-14-2015 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 04:02 PM

Thanks for the response.

We seek to take the paved road from San Ignacio towards the Laguna, then take the middle road to El Datil and from there proceed to San Iganacio.

Does anyone know whether the roads have been washed out or if there is any unpassable arroyo along this route?

We are thinking of going more or less immediately. Any news will be greatly welcome!

Fairbanks47
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 04:21 PM

There was a post on Scorpion Bay FB page from someone who just returned going the north rd. Took them 8 hours, many washouts,flooded arroyos, etc. Was not recommended to travel that route. Have info from a couple reliable sources with same info.
We are leaving in the am going via Gonzaga route and will be taking south rd.
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 04:34 PM

Thanks Fairbanks47. Have a great trip down and a great stay while you are there!

Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 11:00 PM

Here's on update on the middle road from San Ignacio to San Juanico: The road is fine and easy to drive all the way to Campo Datil. South of Datil there is some water, but just keep to the left (if you are driving to San Juanico) or the right (if you are driving to San Ignacio). Much of the sand has been stripped from the trails between Campo Datil and la Ballena. There are a surprising number of boulders, rocks and holes along this stretch, but it is manageable for a sturdy 4-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance. There is also manageable water to cross at La Ballena. It is smooth sailing from that point onward. I hosed down the underside of my vehicle before eating after we arrived in SJ.

Because of the boulders and holes south of Campo Datil and water at la Ballena, I would not attempt this drive right now except in a very reliable vehicle equpped for offroad riding (4x4, high clearance).

Otherwise the entire trip from SD was easy riding.

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by Zola]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.