Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio to San Juanico
timoteo

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 04:48 PM
San Ignacio to San Juanico

looking for any recent updates on the roads to Scorpion Bay from SI. Bunch of guys riding large dual spot bikes. Thanks in advance.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 05:29 PM

No problem
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 06:30 PM

Enjoy! Getting back to highway one via Rosarito makes a nice loop. but I am not sure of the condition of that route. Last time I rode it it was no problem.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 06:32 PM

Are you thinking about going along the coast or inland? I know there can be some killer silt beds along the coast; inland is more traditional desert driving with dirt and rocks and sand, in varying proportions.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:20 AM

I'd say it's the opposite traditionally... Major silt beds along the mesa(inland) road, smooth sailing by the coast on the salitralis (salt flats)...

TT
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
I'd say it's the opposite traditionally... Major silt beds along the mesa(inland) road, smooth sailing by the coast on the salitralis (salt flats)...

TT

That's my experience as well. It has been a few years but I have motorcycled the salt flats several times and it is a memorable ride. Friends who took the high road have reported struggling more than a little.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  

TT

That's my experience as well. It has been a few years but I have motorcycled the salt flats several times and it is a memorable ride. Friends who took the high road have reported struggling more than a little.

X3, motoged should be along any minute now with pictures of his broken leg:lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 11:41 AM

Yes, meant at the bottom of the mesas with silt. By inland, I was referring to going via (I think) Tres Palmas. Once you leave San Ignacion, leave the road to the lagoon and head more south.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Yes, meant at the bottom of the mesas with silt. By inland, I was referring to going via (I think) Tres Palmas. Once you leave San Ignacio, leave the road to the lagoon and head more south.

The road continues south from Tres Palmas, even though the AAA mapers didn't push on. There is also a cross over road to Rancho Cuarenta, not shown on AAA map. Cuarenta is near where the arroyo crosses the middle road just past the mile 30.7 on the map.

The 2010 Baja 1000 went via Cuarenta from the high road, see RM 610...

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

X3, motoged should be along any minute now with pictures of his broken leg:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

David, my friend, ....you have psychic powers beyond the normal range.....

Not the staples pic.....just the pussy that comforted me ....at least the cat was caring....;)

Don't believe everything you think....
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:23 PM

Thanks David, that's what I was trying to say.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

:lol::lol::lol:

David, my friend, ....you have psychic powers beyond the normal range.....

Not the staples pic.....just the pussy that comforted me ....at least the cat was caring....;)

Hey, I was caring....I got you back on the bike didn't I? Sometimes tough love is the best approach..:yes::yes:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
timoteo

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 05:02 PM

Awesome !! Thanks for all the replies everyone
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 08:36 AM

We just came through. Everything has dried out, and we had no problems driving from San Ignacio to SJ. It is a beautiful, fun drive.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:48 AM

I've done the mesa road/silt beds/Baja 1000 route on an XR650R and the salt flats road on a 990 Adventure. I will tell you that having offroad tires (knobs) on your bikes is needed for that stretch. I would also add that when you get back to pavement, wash your bikes down or you will face some pretty aggressive corrosion from the salt flats. Very much fun and challenging on the big dual sports. Last tip is to bring some stickers/treats for the kids in El Datil, they will be super excited to see motos coming through their campo.....

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by Sweetwater]

[Edited on 8-19-2015 by BajaNomad]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 12:43 PM

I learned the hard way about the aggressive corrosion. The first thing we do upon arriving in SJ is to go to the beach. The second is to wash the bottom of the truck with a hose and then a pressure washer. Then we eat.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 03:58 PM

Life is too short to worry about corrosion! Get on with your life and let the pieces fall off when they're ready etc. etc. etc.

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 04:55 PM

Great info. Thanks for sharing!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Life is too short to worry about corrosion! Get on with your life and let the pieces fall off when they're ready etc. etc. etc.

ROFLMAO......maybe on one of those Toyota rust buckets....but my motos need to be intact and corrosion free for reliabilities sake.....

I was looking for some photos of the silt beds but nothing will explain that the ruts are 3-4' deep and the silt is so powdery that it reminds me of fresh snowfall at 11,000 feet at Alta.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 09:58 AM

don't take the high road...you will regret it

take the sand highway or the tidal salt flats...

I was through a couple days ago and the tidal salt flats are passable...one of the locals put up a red shirt and red plastic ribbons every so often so just follow the ribbons on the tidal salt flats...if you don't you will get buried in the muck...cuz I saw vehicles who were buried.:?::?::?::?::?:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.