Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Callen Camper Like Campers
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 09:30 AM
Callen Camper Like Campers

I've always liked the Callen Camper form factor. That is, a big shell that sits on top of the pick-up's bed sides. I've found another company that makes campers that are like Callen Campers. The biggest difference is that they are wood framed instead of steel framed. Which is a significant difference.

Check it out:

http://belairshells.com/wood-n-alum

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 09:36 AM

I had a similar one made in the early 80's. I came apart after to many washboard roads. They don't hold up like a steel welded frame does. It's to bad Cullen is gone.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 10:42 AM

I have a 43" tall custom-designed CALLEN CAMPER that I had made for me back in 1982 to my specs. It has made dozens of trips into remote places in Baja, and also the red-rock country of Utah. Tho the newer pickup beds have suffered lots of damage, the CALLEN CAMPER has never ever failed in any respect. I still have it today and it is going strong!!!

Incredible campers, but very heavy. Mine weighs in at about 800 lbs, which todays pickup bed side-rails have a hard time supporting without being beefed up. I have beefed up my bed rails to support it with great success (so far). Of possible interest, my CALLEN rode for years on a 1969 Ford pickup 8' bed with no damage to the bed side rails. Put it on a l994 Ford F-250 and it did not take long before the truck bed side-rails began to get squashed and seriously crushed. Once I had them beefed up (a lot) no more problems.

Barry

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by Barry A.]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I had a similar one made in the early 80's. I came apart after to many washboard roads. They don't hold up like a steel welded frame does. It's to bad Cullen is gone.
Yep, stapled together wooden 2x2's will never be as strong as a welded steel frame.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 01:07 PM

Is Callen Camper company gone? If so, I am not surprised. After the old man turned the business over to his son, it was no longer the super quality great camper of the past.

In 2008, my son had a nightmare with ordering and buying a new Callen Camper; he did not realize that the son had taken over and was ruining a great business. After that we read about similar experiences with other people.

Just from experience, wood will not hold together as well on dirt roads, and wood is apt to rot.

Business idea for someone much younger --- revise a camper similar to the Callen model and do it right!

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 01:59 PM

Agree: Callen's will outlast most of the vehicles they are mounted on.

I've had fiberglass (Leer) shells. I've seen what happens to wood-frame shells. That's why I went with a Callen 2 years ago for my current Baja truck, after reading a few older posts here. I haven't found any reason to revisit the purchase.

I paid $800 for a very clean used one at a local 2nd hand shell retailer, had it professionally installed, and have used it often on rough, dusty roads in Baja, Death Valley and beyond with zero problems. (It does need some resealing compound on the roof- too much Baja sunshine!)

I'm in SD and I've heard the same re:the biz being run into ground- but there are LOTS of used Callens all over this city, including a few in my 'hood sitting on trucks that haven't been driven in years.

So if you really want a Callen, and live in/near San Diego, I would suggest: check SD Craigslist often, or drive around and put notices on trucks with Callens that look like they are not being used. Offer to take it off their hands- you might be offered a free shell!

Meanwhile... still need to go wash some red San Quintin mud off mine from the last trip...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I've always liked the Callen Camper form factor. That is, a big shell that sits on top of the pick-up's bed sides.

Check out Caravan Campers on the following website.

Especially the vertical sided, 34" high (above bed rail), option. Huge amount of room inside.

They have a welded steel frame, steel skin, and are bombproof.

Semi-custom with a long list of options.

Caravan Campers, Reno
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I've always liked the Callen Camper form factor. That is, a big shell that sits on top of the pick-up's bed sides.

Check out Caravan Campers on the following website.

Especially the vertical sided, 34" high (above bed rail), option. Huge amount of room inside.

They have a welded steel frame, steel skin, and are bombproof.

Semi-custom with a long list of options.

Caravan Campers, Reno
Holy cow! A cab high canopy for a full sized truck with a couple of options like side windows, is pushing $5K. Nice looking canopies though.

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 11:52 PM

Post pictures of your trucks guys!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 07:09 AM

I like this thread............nice looking shells. I just got a new A.R.E Shell for my Tundra and I'm stoked on it. Need to order a Yakima basket now............I know, I'm off topic.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 08:35 AM

Billy's old rig. 1000's of Baja miles!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
I like this thread............nice looking shells. I just got a new A.R.E Shell for my Tundra and I'm stoked on it. Need to order a Yakima basket now............I know, I'm off topic.
I just had to haul my A.R.E. canopy off to the dump. The fiberglass was attached to the aluminum part with nothing but adhesive. The adhesive failed from bouncing around on washboard roads, putting weight on the racks makes them fail quicker.

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 09:14 AM

I heard about the Callen changeover a year ago when looking for an alternative to a slide in,heavy cabover. Theres another outfit I found In Garden Grove called Bel Air. I went ahead and pulled the trigger for one ($1600 to outfit my longbed Toyo T100). They assured me there's was the only one left that makes a custom configuration shell. The frames are wood, but relatively lightweight @350# for my rig. Fit and finish? I am giving them a C minus. Sealing off for dust entry in the back almost impossible. The good news is that My slide in components worked out well and its a great lighter weight alternative. They also took my old A.R.E in on trade.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 10:09 AM
Baja Callen adventures: travels with Yvette

San Ignacio, January 2014

Loreto, June 2014

Kayaking somewhere, August 2014

On the way to Ojo de Liebre...or maybe San Ignacio?

[Edited on 3-8-2015 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Billy's old rig. 1000's of Baja miles!

Mine is just like Billy's old rig, a couple of posts above, except not as nice looking. It's been through 3 pick-ups. I'm buying a new pick-up as soon as my truck mortgage is approved, expensive these days, and I want a new, that is NEW, camper just like my old Callen.

I avoid washboard roads, much prefer paved roads, so a wood frame is OK. Light weight is good.

I'll probably go with these folks.

http://belairshells.com/wood-n-alum

[Edited on 3-8-2015 by SFandH]
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 10:57 AM

SFandH, If you do go with Bel Air, anticipate a bunch of rough edges, fit and finish issues. If you live in SoCal and waiting isn't an issue, make em clean up the sub standard stuff. I couldn't stay,as I was due back at the salt mines in Oregon the next day after fitting. Not a long wait. They fabricate out in Corona. Lift door combo is a GREAT feature that will be easy to add a sunshade shroud to.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 11:52 AM
Good website for general camper & ORV research

FYI- There are some educational posts re:Callens and other comparable shells on this site. This is where I learned of Callen camper's demise:

www.expeditionportal.com

I often use Expedition Portal's discussion forum for reviewing Information on all things off-road/overland- which camper shells hold up well, how to outfit them, installing solar charging systems, buying and modifying diesel shuttle bus...;D (check out the "Das Bus" build thread, for an awesome 4WD bus conversion)

(At the risk of hijacking...I often refer Baja newbies from ExPo to Nomad, to help them plan their first adventures SOB, so some of the 1st time posters over here may be X-referenced from my posts/comments over there.)

As for campers: here is a good forum on ways people have built basic camper set-ups from a simple shell (Callen or otherwise)

www.expeditionportal.com www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69403-Show-off-your-T...

Also interesting/informative are posts from people going around the world, or "Pole to Pole" (driving overland from Punta Arenas to Anchorage) and places in between, who often go thru Baja. I've seen full-on expedition rigs in San Ignacio and Ojo de Liebre, en route to these places.

Happy camper shell hunting!

PS- haven't attended yet, but I've heard their Overland Expo in Flagstaff AZ, May 14-17, is a great place to exchange Information and meet people who spend a lot of time enjoying the great outdoors. Might be a good Nomad excursion for those near northern Arizona?

I have family there, and I'm considering going this year to pick up some tips on outfitting La Bus.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 01:03 PM
Wood could be better

Howard Hughes built the Spruce Goose out of Sitka Spruce, and the WWII British Mosquito bomber was also made of wood. Wood (select structural) has a better strength to weight ratio than steel, does not fatigue from flexing, and for a camper has better thermal qualities than metal.
The problem with wood, aside from the cost of select materials, is failure of fastening systems, and failure to protect the wood from moisture damage from leakage and condensation.
I would love to have a camper built to aircraft specs, but it would be expensive!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.