BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Conditions of the Chapala - Gonzaga road AFTER the Jan 3rd Storm
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 02:17 PM
Conditions of the Chapala - Gonzaga road AFTER the Jan 3rd Storm

I've read that on Monday Pablo drove from Mulege to San Quintin in rain with lots of standing and flowing water everywhere. Has anyone driven the Chapala road to/from Gonzaga since Monday the 3rd? My parents want to head to their house there in a couple of days.

Thanks
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 05:53 PM

came through sat and spent the night in Gonzoga. Road was fine then with just a litlle water on it. Did not look like a storm was coming through sunday.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 09:41 PM

1) Sat. was Jan 1.
2) Sun. was Jan 2.

I was on the entire Route 5 from Chapala to Mexicali Sunday afternoon and it was all great... just some rocky sections a few miles south of Puertecitos, and the holes in the asphalt for 15 miles north of Puertecitos.

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 11:00 PM

Speaking of Chapala DK--with all this rain the "lost lakes" of Baja, plus Chapala, will probably be full!! Photo ops!
The forecast is calling for pineapple express for a couple more weeks.....are you managing to eek out some work days?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 11:33 PM

No Mexitron, I can't get anything done when it is this wet! Will anyone send me a 'rain check'???
Maybe I should start selling 'got baja?' stickers (instead of giving them away) as some source of income!!! What are you able to do, as a landscaper?

Chapala had some water in it... the lost lakes will be full soon!

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 08:01 AM

I'm not doing much landscaping, but I love the time off (even though vacation doesn't pay very well!)....think I'll head over to Borrego for a couple days--the weather guys say the southern direction of these storms don't drop much moisture there.....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 09:27 AM

David & Mexitron -
The weather is cool here, some clouds. Looks like most of the storms are headed a bit north of San Felipe. You can come down and play in the snow on Picacho del Diablo and the rest of the Sierra San Pedro Matir range. It's been white for a couple days now - all of the range I can see from home. Pretty cool! (and cold).
JR, the skiing is at it's best. The first two years I was here in San Felipe, it stayed white for a couple months. Maybe will again. Lots of water for the falls in the canyons.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
edevart
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 07:46 PM

We just came through the Chapala on Wednesday the fifth on the way back to Medio Camino from down south...The road is fine with a just a few of the vados filling with water. They were clearing a couple of silt-filled vados with heavy machinery (North of Catavina, North of Rosario) but for the most part the road was good. Just slow down for arroyos and vados as the water is flowing.

By the way, the desert is amazingly lush right now with the recent rain. Verde por todas partes. In a couple of weeks it should be spectacular.

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edevart
We just came through the Chapala on Wednesday the fifth on the way back to Medio Camino from down south...

Did you travel from Gonzaga to Chapala? This is the stretch I am seeking information on. It sounds as if you are mearly talking about Mex 1 past Chapala. I'm not sure of your words. Clarity please?

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 09:29 PM

Sounds nice Lou--we spent New Year's Eve up on top in the snow a few year's ago--great fun, had the whole place to ourselves! With these pineapple express storms coming in though, the San Pedro Martir gets a ton of rain....don't know if you remember the 1993 El Nino--the folks at the observatory were stuck there for a few weeks--the road had turned into a river!
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 09:53 PM

I don't know if I'm, ready to be snowed in somewhere or not. I left Colorado for California to get away from that cold and snow. But with the storms still due in the next few days, if just a little bit hits the San Pedro Matir we should have some great waterfalls on this side next spring. Desert Rat, there'll be more water coming down Diablo this year so better plan a later climb.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.