Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: 2015 Baja Pole Line Official Planning Thread
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 08:25 PM

If we are following Ken why would we need any GPS directions?

I hope he knows where we are going, if not Neal Johns can rescue us.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  

Quick question Ken. Is anyone coming to my house the night before the run? Just want to plan for time on where to meet you.

Thanks for asking, MICK. I am not sure what the guys coming from the San Vicente area are planning as far as a place to stay before the run commences. I will keep you posted, but they are concerned about crossing the salt water creek and the ill effects it has on their vehicles.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 06:34 PM
Cell Phone for use in Mexico

Does anyone have a Cell Phone for use in Mexico?

My Samsung S3Mini features a locked SIM card for use only in the USA.:!:

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 06:38 PM

I have a Delorme inreach for 2 way satellite communication
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 06:49 PM
You won't get lost following me, never!

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If we are following Ken why would we need any GPS directions?

I hope he knows where we are going, if not Neal Johns can rescue us.

Between Neal Johns' mileage numbers 66 and 77, you hit a succession of mesas followed by drops into shallow canyons. Upon reaching the Campo Victoria intersection, things get fuzzy - every time.

Campo Victoria is an old mining camp/foundation, "East across washes. On old AAA maps, circa 1978." This is fuzzy as there are a number of newer roads that have been constructed in the area by ranchers which makes the area easy to confuse the driver. I have GPS data that was shared by Russ Chung a few years ago, that I will dig up, and input into Google Earth. With the use of this program and careful driving, we will get past this section, and reach the bottom of the Summit (Canyon El Alamito). Canyon El Alamito begins as a sand wash at mile 79. Our route continues on the left at mile 83 - a, "hard-to-find steep road up bank angling from left-bottom to right-top of bank." This road has swallowed Jeeps, is off-camber, but with careful driving, is easily managed by any 4WD driven with good tire placement.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-22-2015 at 06:52 PM
Can you hear me now?

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I have a Delorme inreach for 2 way satellite communication

This is an awesome piece of communications equipment! How much would it cost me to call from Mexicali to Progreso to order 6 soft chicken tacos and a Chicken torta from Asadero Morlan? :light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 07:04 PM

Ken my T mobile cell phone works in Baja and I also have a Spot satellite phone.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 07:15 PM

If you got the phone number we can order tacos from anywhere in the world. The wife bought it for me for Christmas. She likes to keep tabs on me.
ChuckMRN

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 07:46 PM

I'll have my iridium Sat phone on the trip. I also have loaded the tracks courtesy of PaulW into the iPad mini with the G-earth cache. My nav will also have about 49 waypoints that will pop-up even though there won't be any map data. Hopefully it will help if needed.

Chuck
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 07:49 PM

Ken, so either we go down Laguna Salada or the graded road, as if to Guadalupe Canyon... but instead of turning up towards the canyon, we continue south on the graded road to Cohabuzo Jcn. and beyond, yes? When I last drove it (2003) it was a super highway almost to the Mano Canyon jcn. It will be interesting to see how 12 years has changed it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 08:00 PM

Stay off the road to Guadalupe canyon, it will rattle your teeth out. The lake is way better.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ken, so either we go down Laguna Salada or the graded road, as if to Guadalupe Canyon... but instead of turning up towards the canyon, we continue south on the graded road to Cohabuzo Jcn. and beyond, yes? When I last drove it (2003) it was a super highway almost to the Mano Canyon jcn. It will be interesting to see how 12 years has changed it!

Hi David - I need to share the GPS waypoints with you. The ones from PaulW are better for a long-wheelbase vehicle, and would probably stop my Jeep cold. Driving up the "Bad Hill" could be detrimental to drivetrain components of vehicles loaded down with supplies and fuel. By going from Cohabuzo Junction south to Alamito Canyon, the route is easier on vehicles and less demanding on the terrain (Basketball Hill, for example).

I will make sure everyone gets GPS Waypoint data with their driver's packages. That way, if we get turned around near Campo Victoria, getting to Canyon Alamito can become anyone's guess! :lol:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChuckMRN  
I'll have my iridium Sat phone on the trip. I also have loaded the tracks courtesy of PaulW into the iPad mini with the G-earth cache. My nav will also have about 49 waypoints that will pop-up even though there won't be any map data. Hopefully it will help if needed.

Chuck

Hi Chuck - Good to see you created an account! I also have an iPad. Hopefully, it works with Google Earth loaded onto it.

Pole Line GPS data
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69649&pag...

[Edited on 3-23-2015 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 08:23 PM

I think people want to do the Pole Line Road not because it is easy, but because it is hard! (Like going to the moon in the 60's)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 09:12 PM

I will know more in next few days to start ride,My mex c phone will work also my Usa cell phone.Mick could you Pm me with your phone number thanks Larry
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 06:57 AM

I will not be going with David k on Monday so anyone wanting to camp out Sunday on the river is welcome. Would like to get a count Ken. How many do you think will be staying at our place Sunday night?
Thanks Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I think people want to do the Pole Line Road not because it is easy, but because it is hard! (Like going to the moon in the 60's)

I don't want to roll down "Bad Hill" because of my short wheelbase. It wouldn't be too hard to do near the top of the hill. :!:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Pole Line GPS data
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69649

[Edited on 3-23-2015 by David K]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 11:34 AM

Ken where is this "bad hill" located. GPS.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Ken where is this "bad hill" located. GPS.

Its located on the back of the limited-edition Pole Line Road t-shirts. Only $15 while supplies last! :tumble:

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.