Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: 2015 Baja Pole Line Official Planning Thread
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:07 AM

Ken has asked me to give a history talk around the campfire Saturday night and to bring copies of The Old Missions book.

I will bring a few and offer them at a discount for those who brave the Pole Line Road: US$15 or 200 pesos. Those who want one can also order them from our distributors ( http://DiscoverBaja.com Travel Club, http://BajaBooksAndMaps.com ) or from the publisher at http://oldmissions.com

Here are some geology maps of the Pole Line Road... "Camino Abandonado"

Below each of the three geology maps are the satellite images with the actual road track (blue line) that also is on the geology map to compare the map maker's placement with satellite placement:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 01:45 PM

More info for Kens trip.
KML, USR, and GPX file available just provide your email and I will reply.

My 2 buddies with buggies asked me to take them thru the PLR. After prodding I agreed and found an open day, 3-24-15. The word spread and the group escalated to 7 rigs. What we found was on the east end is was much the same as last year and in the mid to west end the rains made the trip most difficult. Lots of zig-zag to go around the big rocks that have raised up from the depths as all the sand went down stream. The buggies had no issues, but all the jeeps did. Mostly clearance issues and scraping over the tall rocks. My Bronco sits on 35s and did not have clearance issues.
There is a go around below the burned out truck in BB hill. Good thing. but it is still very tight below there.
The Zuk has moved downstream 0.65 miles. The wash at the narrows west of the new Zuk location is definitely impassable with very large rocks blocking the whole width of the wash. I am glad I got to drive the wash last year. It a neat view.

On to the real issue.
The ongoing issue with the ranchers is cattle rustling which explains all the new fencing and the many locked gates. The rancher has bulldozed a track to the locked gate previously discussed and made a nice turnaround for the hapless off roaders. He also placed a huge rock to prevent even a skinny rig to drive around the gate. So we went back to the last T heading SW and followed it to what is the wash that leads to just below the LG - Success, but much more wasted time. At the bottom of this wash we found and new fence with an unlocked fence gate. I would expect the rancher will lock it up or eliminate it as soon as he sees our tracks.
So you all will not encounter the issues we had to get to the summit, but let me say the old race road is no longer passable anyway it starts inside the fenced area, but we found the road - more much wasted time. None of us has that new road on our GPS maps. Metrics. 12 hours SF to K109. 1 hour for tacos in VT, 1.3 hours to SF. Anyway the following pics should answer many detailed questions.

Last chance to do the PLR IMO. Go for it.

Lock Gate overview

Lock Gate Detail

New Gate detail

New location for Zuk

Our group of 7 rigs

Zuk has moved 0.65 mile down the wash

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 02:29 PM

Paul thanks... Maybe Ken will understand the maps as he is an old pro on the 1942 road, but maybe if you could add some notes or answer these if you think it would help?:

New Race/ No Race: What is the difference (ie. is one closed or just the older route)?

Bad Way/ Wash Bypas is this a choice of two roads after the Lock Gate?

The final map with the Suzuki... we turn south just before the Zuk? Do you have a larger area to show where that map is in relation to the rest of what you showed?

Thanks for the great work!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 03:37 PM

Hi David,
Let me try to help
It is hard for me to explain, especially when I put my hat on to describe the route you all are taking. Shoot, it took several of us to figure it out by walking and driving around.
My descriptions are doing PLR from the east. I will repeat and show the way from the west or more correctly from the north.

The old race track that is portion W of the new fence gate which then heads up toward the summit. And it is now impassible. Both the impassable road and the new race road join up hill at a berm then head to the summit. The berm is a feeble attempt to keep someone from going down the impossible road when driving down from the summit. Bad way refers to the impassable road. No race is the segment of that road that is W of the new fence gate. Wash Bypas and Bad way are distinct roads that are common for a short distance at the NW end.
For your trip take care to choose the correct one. It will be obvious when the Bad Way turns W. Its not very tricky.
= = = = =
What I depicted is a way to get around the much discussed LG. Which is drive SW from a T with cords shown, to a wash then go down the wash to the new fence gate. Thus bypassing the LG.
Your trip will come to the new fence gate from the NE toward the fence gate and then S thru after opening the unlocked fence gate and up the new wash - then make a hard left turn an drive to the T Coords shown. Then make a right turn to get on the PLR. Follow our tracks and make it easy.
= = = = =
The Zuk is now a short distance from the turn from Jaquegel to the south into another wash. Coords are shown for the Zuk.
For your trip you will be driving N down a wash and making a right turn into Jaquegel and the Zuk will be on your left.
= = = = =
BTW. I forgot to mention another fence gate near the white tank. It was locked on one side and roped on the other. We just undid the rope and went thru.
Paul
====================

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Paul thanks... Maybe Ken will understand the maps as he is an old pro on the 1942 road, but maybe if you could add some notes or answer these if you think it would help?:

New Race/ No Race: What is the difference (ie. is one closed or just the older route)?

Bad Way/ Wash Bypas is this a choice of two roads after the Lock Gate?

The final map with the Suzuki... we turn south just before the Zuk? Do you have a larger area to show where that map is in relation to the rest of what you showed?

Thanks for the great work!!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 05:23 PM

OK, well, I need to relax, this is Ken's safari so I will just be in the train of Jeeps in the middle and enjoy the four wheeling! I want to get photos of the cobblestone roadbed and any poles that remain standing. It is a real shame some were knocked down just to collect the porcelain insulators!

Oh well, as long as those of us who were told the stories write them down, they are preserved!

Thank you Paul!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 06:27 PM

Paul are the locks single sided key locks like master lock?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 06:29 PM

Paul it would be nice if you could do a Google Earth view of the locked gates and how we should go.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 06:36 PM

I have a special gift for all that are on the PLR run. Something everyone who travels Baja will like to have. It's non-alcoholic.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
OK, well, I need to relax, this is Ken's safari so I will just be in the train of Jeeps in the middle and enjoy the four wheeling! I want to get photos of the cobblestone roadbed and any poles that remain standing. It is a real shame some were knocked down just to collect the porcelain insulators!

Oh well, as long as those of us who were told the stories write them down, they are preserved!

Thank you Paul!

David, the insulators were glass, not porcelain. I have a number of them. Will bring one or two to show on the trip. Found them around 1986. I also have US uniform buttons etc, but I can't find them (I have too much chit)

Harald Pietschmann
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Paul are the locks single sided key locks like master lock?

Master heavy duty About 1 foot up in a steel cylinder
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 08:32 PM

Thanks Paul.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

David, the insulators were glass, not porcelain. I have a number of them. Will bring one or two to show on the trip. Found them around 1986. I also have US uniform buttons etc, but I can't find them (I have too much chit)

I also have a glass insulator that I kept from a trip on the PLR. 4x4ABC is gonna be there! :bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Thanks Paul.

Paul - your research is going to save us some serious time. Thanks for your help with this project!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I also have a glass insulator that I kept from a trip on the PLR. 4x4ABC is gonna be there! :bounce:

That will be terrific! I love connecting with the past... it was real! We can only guess about the future!!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 01:53 PM

Could anybody with c phone that works south of border Pm me with number.Ken also has my two c phone numbers that work,south of border.Plan for us three.Mike is plan to meet you guys US side (03 red Toyota TRD) Plan for me and Wil Meet Mex side,Hotel night before run,Then meet at your taco stand morning.Wils( Bronco 90s white soft top If I remember right.Me 14 frontier white Mex plates) Thanks Guys. Larry
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 04:27 PM

I'll be coming from the south to join your group

what day, what hour and where do I meet the group on MEX5?
with other words - where is the turn off into the big adventure?
HAM/business band - what frequency? FRS/GMRS - what channel?

traveling east to west - right?

dogs OK?

do I have to bring my own beer?

who is cooking for me?

a consolidated, updated information page would be great for an organized event like this

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 04:47 PM

This rig has some potential....you could buff most of that out:

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Could anybody with c phone that works south of border Pm me with number.Ken also has my two c phone numbers that work,south of border.Plan for us three.Mike is plan to meet you guys US side (03 red Toyota TRD) Plan for me and Wil Meet Mex side,Hotel night before run,Then meet at your taco stand morning.Wils( Bronco 90s white soft top If I remember right.Me 14 frontier white Mex plates) Thanks Guys. Larry

Thanks for the update on your rigs.

ASADERO MORLAN #2 - 2 BLOCKS WEST OF PEMEX at 4 way stoplight in PROGRESO/Mexicali - HWY 2.

We will stop there for breakfast. Clean restaurant, clean facilities, GREAT SMOKE BBQ FLAVOR!

ASADERO MORLAN #2
http://www.justruns.com/gallery2/v/Run+Photos/112313/DSC0061...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
More info for Kens trip.
KML, USR, and GPX file available just provide your email and I will reply.

My 2 buddies with buggies asked me to take them thru the PLR. After prodding I agreed and found an open day, 3-24-15. The word spread and the group escalated to 7 rigs. What we found was on the east end is was much the same as last year and in the mid to west end the rains made the trip most difficult. Lots of zig-zag to go around the big rocks that have raised up from the depths as all the sand went down stream. The buggies had no issues, but all the jeeps did. Mostly clearance issues and scraping over the tall rocks. My Bronco sits on 35s and did not have clearance issues.
There is a go around below the burned out truck in BB hill. Good thing. but it is still very tight below there.
The Zuk has moved downstream 0.65 miles. The wash at the narrows west of the new Zuk location is definitely impassable with very large rocks blocking the whole width of the wash. I am glad I got to drive the wash last year. It a neat view.

On to the real issue.
The ongoing issue with the ranchers is cattle rustling which explains all the new fencing and the many locked gates. The rancher has bulldozed a track to the locked gate previously discussed and made a nice turnaround for the hapless off roaders. He also placed a huge rock to prevent even a skinny rig to drive around the gate. So we went back to the last T heading SW and followed it to what is the wash that leads to just below the LG - Success, but much more wasted time. At the bottom of this wash we found and new fence with an unlocked fence gate. I would expect the rancher will lock it up or eliminate it as soon as he sees our tracks.
So you all will not encounter the issues we had to get to the summit, but let me say the old race road is no longer passable anyway it starts inside the fenced area, but we found the road - more much wasted time. None of us has that new road on our GPS maps. Metrics. 12 hours SF to K109. 1 hour for tacos in VT, 1.3 hours to SF. Anyway the following pics should answer many detailed questions.

Last chance to do the PLR IMO. Go for it.

Lock Gate overview

Lock Gate Detail

New Gate detail

New location for Zuk

If we have real challenges entering the Pole Line Road *and* long lines for FMM, we will really need Day #3 (Monday) to drive to La Ventana/Hwy 5. I'm hoping this isn't the case, but I am anxious to see what the intersection with the Summit Road is going to look like.

Minute 1:32 of 'Wrong Way' video shows region where we may have difficulties picking up Pole Line Road.

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
This rig has some potential....you could buff most of that out:

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by motoged]

Minute 12:04 shows what the Suzuki USED TO LOOK LIKE! :O The sheet metal was straight! :wow:
The wheels were round! :O

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.