Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: FM3 Checkpoints
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 08:49 AM

This person is a newbie seeking advise from others that love Baja or are at the very least, are interested in Baja. What difference does it make how many times some of you may have travelled without visas without being checked? No where in his question does he ask about the odds of sneaking down there without getting caught. It was a straight forward question; What are the requirements of the host country and what is the process to adhere to those requirements.

This person has the right mindset for Baja and understand they are a guest in this country and has a desire to meet the simple requirements of the host country. People like them are the ones I prefer to encourage to experience Baja. The country's ability to enforce their owns laws should have no bearing as to whether we should adhere to those laws. In 45 years I have never once been checked for a fishing license but I have still never fished here without one.

Perhaps because of their leniency in enforcement too many people have come here with the mindset that there are no rules and they can do whatever they please. When they eventually do get called on their behavior they scream "Gringo targeting".

In Memory of E-57
snagnsc

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Below is news from Discover Baja. Since you are planning to travel in the future just get one. Also it may needed to make your Mexican auto insurance valid. Avoid any worry and be sure to get both.
From Discover Baja
The Mexican Immigration Department has had a checkpoint south of Ensenada on Highway 1 just past Las Canadas, where they are checking to make sure that non Mexican citizens have their FMM tourist permits. If you do not have an FMM, they will turn you back to Ensenada to get the correct paperwork which you can get at the port before you are able to proceed.

Any time you enter into Baja for more than 72 hours, and or head 20 kilometers south of the border Mexican law requires non Mexican citizens to have an FMM. If you will be in Baja for just seven days or less, you can obtain a free FMM at the border.

The easiest way to make sure you have all of your correct paperwork, is to get a prepaid FMM through Discover Baja. Please allow two weeks advance notice so that we can be sure to have an FMM reserved for you.

Please call us at 800 727 2252 or email us at ask@discoverbaja.com to obtain your FMM. See the Discover Baja website for more information on FMM Tourist Permits

Hey guys, another first time poster here. Ive been lurking on the site and enjoying Baja for years but am in the process fo planning for an extended trip next month.

I was just going to get my own permit at the border upon entry but wanted to know if there any benefit to a group like Dicover Baja? I see they're a travel agent of sorts, but for our trip, we're heading to Rancho Leonero so I don't need accommodations. A discount is nice but will it be more then the 'membership' fee?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by snagnsc  
Below is news from Discover Baja. Since you are planning to travel in the future just get one. Also it may needed to make your Mexican auto insurance valid. Avoid any worry and be sure to get both.
From Discover Baja
The Mexican Immigration Department has had a checkpoint south of Ensenada on Highway 1 just past Las Canadas, where they are checking to make sure that non Mexican citizens have their FMM tourist permits. If you do not have an FMM, they will turn you back to Ensenada to get the correct paperwork which you can get at the port before you are able to proceed.

Any time you enter into Baja for more than 72 hours, and or head 20 kilometers south of the border Mexican law requires non Mexican citizens to have an FMM. If you will be in Baja for just seven days or less, you can obtain a free FMM at the border.

The easiest way to make sure you have all of your correct paperwork, is to get a prepaid FMM through Discover Baja. Please allow two weeks advance notice so that we can be sure to have an FMM reserved for you.

Please call us at 800 727 2252 or email us at ask@discoverbaja.com to obtain your FMM. See the Discover Baja website for more information on FMM Tourist Permits

Hey guys, another first time poster here. Ive been lurking on the site and enjoying Baja for years but am in the process fo planning for an extended trip next month.

I was just going to get my own permit at the border upon entry but wanted to know if there any benefit to a group like Dicover Baja? I see they're a travel agent of sorts, but for our trip, we're heading to Rancho Leonero so I don't need accommodations. A discount is nice but will it be more then the 'membership' fee?

Welcome to Nomad!

I have been a member of Discover Baja for many years, and yes they do offer world travel assistance. However, for me it is the best source of Baja books and maps (anyone can buy at their store in San Diego, or online) and members get a discount. They also offer discounted annual Mexican auto insurance (group rates)... and if you are going to Baja for 4 weeks, an annual policy will be cheaper than a daily policy. They have a monthly online magazine, and as a member you will get an email link to it... plus other Baja news messages.

The advantage to getting the FMM tourist card there would be if you cross when the bank teller is closed at the border and the INM personal won't take your money. Rare, but reported... specially if you cross at Tecate.

They also sell fishing licenses and boat permits, I believe. The owners (Hugh, Carol, daughter Jen, and the staff are great folks, too).

Want to know more about the old Spanish missions (California's first missions) in Baja? They have published my many articles the past couple years, parts from which I am writing a new book: http://www.discoverbaja.com/category/missions-of-baja-califo...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 02:51 PM

From Discover Baja

I'm sure you will hear from others but my personal opinion is a resounding YES. After many years of buying insurance I finally had to make a claim. I was so thankful I had purchased my policy through Discover Baja. They followed my claim through the whole process and acted as if it was their own claim. There were several times I didn't get a response to a question I had from the insurance company in a timely manner all it took was a cc: to Discover Baja and the insurance company responded immediately, sometimes within just a few hours. It became quickly obvious that they hold a great deal of clout with the insurance companies. I now have all my Mexican insurance needs through Discover Baja. The paltry membership fee is nothing for the services they provide. I am loyal to Discover Baja for the way they treated me when I needed them. I am sure other will cast their support for one of the many other travel clubs out there for probably many of the same reasons. Regardless which Club you choose I urge you to buy through one of them. If you should ever need to make a claim you will be thankful you have them standing behind you.

In Memory of E-57
snagnsc

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 03:12 PM

Thanks for the quick and thorough response David. Well, I wish I could spend four weeks but, that's not the case currently. A job, mortgage, wife and two little ones is keeping the trip to two weeks. So I'm not sure an annual policy is needed at this time.

We are also crossing in SD so I don't see any issue there, as it will be early Monday morning.

Looks like we'll stay the course and keep DB in the memory banks. This is the first time I'll be driving (physically driving, with my vehicle) down and want to make sure I'm covering all my bases.

snagnsc

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 03:18 PM

@Alan thanks for the additional info. So, in addition to arranging the permit process they'll be available to assist int he event of an event:biggrin:

The 39.00 is starting to sound more appealing.:light:

Anyone know if I can add the boat to my policy even though I'm not the owner?

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by snagnsc]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 03:40 PM

I'm a bit more cautious, as compared to back in the day. I
remember reading a Mex Ins policy stating something like
the Insured has to be in the Country, Mex, legally for the
ploicy to be valid. Never heard of a problem, but that always
stuck with me, at the least, a Cop/ Adjuster could make a
point of no fmm, although I know it is not their job description.
Bajabound. I believe it was them, claims at least their 2 major
Ins Co' , HDI and Ace will not invalidate their policies
for lack of Imm papers, I always have the free 7 day or
the 180 day fmm

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 03:48 PM

@Alan thanks for the additional info. So, in addition to arranging the permit process they'll be available to assist int he event of an event:biggrin:
The 39.00 is starting to sound more appealing.:light:

Anyone know if I can add the boat to my policy even though I'm not the owner?

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by snagnsc]
As long as you have the owner's permission :biggrin:it probably wouldn't be a problem. I would think you are insuring the vehicle but a question easily answered by DB.

In Memory of E-57
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.