BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Highway blocked at San Quintin this morning...
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Why is this in the Off Roading forum? Baja News perhaps is a better place?

"So today we came down from mountains" No roads in mountains :lol::lol::lol:

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 05:26 PM

About a dollar per hour.

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Thanks the first link worked, the second timed out for me, could be my computer's problem.

Does anybody know how much the field workers make per hour?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 05:56 PM
7 or 8 Los pinos semis through San Felipe

maybe this is why I saw about 7 or 8 "Los Pinos" Semis headed north just north of San Felipe about 7:30 am this morning. Had not seen them before/

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
maybe this is why I saw about 7 or 8 "Los Pinos" Semis headed north just north of San Felipe about 7:30 am this morning. Had not seen them before/

Heard that Los Pinos was grading the dirt part of that road.

Reports about the violence and looting is mixed as to if any of the farm workers are involved, or just others taking advantage of the situation or a combination of both.

The workers deserve so much more.

richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 06:44 PM

Protestors marched south at 1pm and we headed north with no problems. Saw Aguilla bus and car that had been totally smashed with rocks in Camalu. Lots of broken windows in VG and Camalu but after that it was hard to tell that anything had happened. San Yisidro crossing at 5pm was less than 10 minutes.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 07:44 PM

Seems like they could impact the growers directly as well

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
3-18-2015 at 07:46 PM
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 08:38 PM
San Diego newspaper report on closure

Can't get the text to paste properly so here's the link: m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/mar/18/transpeninsular-highway-san-quintin-farmworkers/

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 10:08 PM

Representatives of the farm workers movement along with community leaders signed an agreement to withdraw from the highway blockades but will continue the farm labor strike in the region, as long as negotiations continue. The only problem is that the crowds now taking over the highway blockades has grown into a quasi group of protestors, vandals and curious onlookers, taking advantage of the situation.

It will be be interesting to see the response of the protestors, vandals and law enforcement.

Stay tuned...

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by BajaGringo]

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 07:24 AM

There is local talk that blockades will still be put up early this morning in Vicente Guerrero, which along with Camalu has been the center of most of the violence up until now. I strongly recommend you put off any travel plans of coming through the region until we see what happens through the next couple of days. This situation remains extremely volatile.

If you must travel, consider taking the Mex5 bypass around...

http://tinyurl.com/MexHwy5

EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 10:42 AM
Human topes

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

If it is open, walk south a bit and eat at Baja Fiesta.

Good Choice!!

EdZ
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EdZeranski  
Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

If it is open, walk south a bit and eat at Baja Fiesta.

Good Choice!!

EdZ

That suggestion was made when the protest was still very peaceful and the person to whom it was suggested was still out and about. Things changed later and I guess the restaurant was damaged --- the idea of human topes definitely could have applied later.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 01:55 PM

When is harvest over ....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:07 PM

What's happening today? I just got an email from a friend in Mulege who said the beaches around Bahia Concepcion are getting empty. The snowbirds are migrating north. I'm wondering if there are a bunch of RVs backed up at San Quintin.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
What's happening today? I just got an email from a friend in Mulege who said the beaches around Bahia Concepcion are getting empty. The snowbirds are migrating north. I'm wondering if there are a bunch of RVs backed up at San Quintin.

Sorry for not updating. It's been a very busy day today. Here is the latest:

Most businesses are still closed and only 2 gas stations operating with about a 10-15 minute wait for gas right now. More shops expected to open tomorrow. At one point a long procession of NOB plated vehicles began passing through. They may have been waiting north of Colonet/Camalu/Vicente Guerrero for the police/military to break up one of many blockades that still appear out of nowhere in a matter of minutes. I did notice that the grocery markets are open but with private security at the door. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of military/police presence throughout San Quintin, often driving together in convoys of 10-15 vehicles. Lots of rumors flying around too, that although San Quintin is now under tight control, in the outlying areas from the north of Vicente Guerrero to Colonet, not so much. I spoke with friends, business contacts, police and a military officer. The situation is still tense and they recommend you give it another day or two before trying to drive through the area because although they have a handle on it for now, by no means is this thing under complete control. Also the area is seriously understocked right now and that won't improve until more trucks can safely get down here again.

There was a lot of cleanup going on, including store owners not only removing the debris and damage from the front of their stores but also going out on the highway (when there was no traffic) and cleaning up the highway. They were sweeping and scraping burnt tires, ashes and other remnants of the protests. I also witnessed several instances of members of the community dropping off food and bottles of water to the soldiers and police out patrolling the highway and our streets. This is a very proud community and I personally am very proud to form a part of it.

The only large group of people I saw gathering this morning were at the Casa de Gobierno in San Quintin, awaiting news of the ongoing talks between the farm workers, government and growers...

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by BajaGringo]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
When is harvest over ....

It is not like the old days when the migrant workers came from the mainland just for a certain harvest season --- that was when tomatoes were king. Now they grow a lot of different things; berries are huge, so there are large permanent farmworker communities.

From what I hear from Talk Baja and from different friends who live down there, while officially the road is open, there are hotspots and it is not a completely stable condition in some areas.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 05:36 PM

I have been posting this in the off road,for any dirt bikers out there.The 5 that came in very late at night to El coyotes,where out of gas for over 5 hours.Lucky our chase truck had extra gas for them.Also many people that know me, That ride dirt bikes.Went to my home looking for gas,They took all 40 gal I keep there.Thanks all you guys that left plenty of Money there to cover it. Also to Ken Yes I have Tie rods,I will go to Ensanada.To pick up custom drag link. I need a little rest,10 days on dirt bikes,no flats,no one hurt.I think this old guy never wants to see dirt bike again.Till after pole line trip.;)
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 05:44 PM

Also someone asked what farm workers make 8/12 dollars 8 hours work.1/4the time no work. The Mexican government keeps them penniless. If they had law 5 bucks hour,then ranchos would have to pay it.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 06:29 PM
News report on working conditions, violations

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/working-conditions-provoke-p...

Working conditions provoke probe, protest

Working conditions for farm laborers in two states have resulted in an investigation in one case and violent protests in the second.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 09:03 PM

Drove north bound through San Quentin this afternoon about 4 pm. No problems. Just on the northern edge of SQ there were some protesters lining the road shoulders, maybe 100 ft long with a couple of guys with a "donation can" in hand. Some signs, no aggression, just standing there.

ALL Oxxo stores were shuttered! Several areas had Riot Gear dressed law enforcement near a CFE station and a few other spots.

No big deal.
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 07:01 AM

whats the verdict out there.....safe or on the verge of complete anarchy again ?? Heading south regardless in 24 hrs
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.