BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Highway blocked at San Quintin this morning...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:45 AM

I am going north through there Sunday..Durn the torpedos , full speed ahead...!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:56 AM

I say go for it. Too many rocks along Hwy 5 anyways:biggrin:

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 09:36 AM

Traffic is now flowing again in both directions through San Quintin as the farm workers and growers are now sitting down and meeting face to face. As they are coming to some agreements, the calm is returning to the Valley of San Quintin.

My only suggestion is be sure to fill up with gas before you come through. We are still waiting for some of the trucks to make their way down as many of the gas stations are out of gas yet...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:19 PM

If any of you get stuck in SQ again(and i hope you dont) it is very easy to drive dirt road around west side Highway.
Dirish

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 08:20 PM

Anyone have a recent update as i will driving thru here to get to south baja tomorrow
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 08:30 AM

we decided to risk it and go through yesterday mid day partially because we wanted to see first hand what the situation was. We were cautious and figured if we saw something bad we could simply turn around. We would get worried when there was no traffic for a few minutes! There was very little traffic which was kind of nice. Thanks to Baja Gringo for keeping in phone contact with us.

Almost all the gas stations were open as well as businesses although some were boarded up. We saw my favorite smoked clam place had been burned down and there is talk in the local community now of helping rebuild it which is cool.

We saw a rally with maybe over a hundred people just north of SQ and there were people working in the fields too. The only place on the highway where there were a few dozen very happy peaceful protesters was south of SQ past Camalu and we made a donation.

About 3:45 we saw about 15 police cars speeding south with lights flashing so I'm not sure what that was for. So we were glad we risked it so we could see for ourselves what the situation was.

Got to Ensenada in 9 hours from Asuncion...hugged my grandson, had a beer and went straight for sushi! Looking forward to seeing some of you at the beerfest today...what we wont do to try some new beer eh!

I wish the farm workers success in improving their abysmal conditions!

(still looking for a ride south on tuesday or wednesday..maybe even thursday)

[Edited on 3-21-2015 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 01:09 PM

A tense-calm climate seems to have returned to the area with a majority of the stores and shops reopening. Military and police continue to patrol and although the farm workers will be continuing the strike until negotiations with the growers resume on Wednesday, they have agreed not to block the highway and have signed a pact of non-violence.

The biggest question for now is when will the flow of tanker trucks of fuel resume as many of the stations in the region are either closed or only open for a couple of hours at a time. Last I heard, Baja Cactus in El Rosario still had fuel but that can't last forever if the truck traffic does not resume. I'll post more as I have confirmed updates.

Let me know also if any of you traveling through see anything different...

[Edited on 3-21-2015 by BajaGringo]

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 01:11 PM

Just saw this:

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/gobierno-federal-simulo-rescate-de...
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 09:36 AM

The above links is about COMONDU and what was happening Friday.

We gave the farm worker 15 pesos and were given a bag of 4 beautiful beefsteak tomatoes.

What a surprise.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 03:35 PM

I am in San Quintin now, at Motel Chavez....Big crowd across the street being bullhorned by someone, not Billy Graham. Aside from the center divider being busted and some extra red barricades pretty normal...Lotsa cops....chilly

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I am in San Quintin now, at Motel Chavez....Big crowd across the street being bullhorned by someone, not Billy Graham. Aside from the center divider being busted and some extra red barricades pretty normal...Lotsa cops....chilly

Con quidado, amigo... we'll have a martini for you right now to help calm your nerves. Maybe the guy with the bullhorn is Ted Cruz promising to abolish the Mexican IRS for them... :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Your bad for staying there what with so many better choices in the area.:lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 07:28 PM

Go worry about bridges....I have been staying at the Chavez on my way back and forth for many years...Your bad for thinking you know of a better choice...

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 10:08 PM

chuckie, chuckie, chuckie....serves you right for not waiting another day for an experienced road warrior co-pilot!:P:

hey if you get stuck there, maybe I will catch up to ya.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 04:42 AM

Quiet nite, I'll be on the road as soon an my functions start to function..4:44 AM Raht naow..

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 08:16 AM

Last spring I spent my north-bound night just south of San Quintin, and thought i'd try the 0-dark-thirty run to get through town before the main traffic hit. WRONG !!!! All of the worker's busses start about 4:30 - 5:00 a.m. to get them all to the fields at first light. It was the longest run I've ever had to get past San Vincente. Musta been over 50 busses constantly pulling on, out and off the highway; no passing possible, just one long slow caravan.

However, I don't think that'd be the problem at the moment, not too many workers headed for the fields today... but for those travelling through, Buena Suerte. I feel for the workers; Mexican economy is in the terlet right now, and folks are hurting. But all it takes is one idiot and one beer.

BTW, a big shout-out to Baja Gringo for help and information in this week of confusion and worries. Again, for your area you've come through with exemplary reporting of facts and happenings to Nomad travelers. I've emailed a few southern friends who don't follow the boards so word does get around. You're a good man, Gunga Din. Thank you.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Last spring I spent my north-bound night just south of San Quintin, and thought i'd try the 0-dark-thirty run to get through town before the main traffic hit. WRONG !!!! All of the worker's busses start about 4:30 - 5:00 a.m. to get them all to the fields at first light. It was the longest run I've ever had to get past San Vincente. Musta been over 50 busses constantly pulling on, out and off the highway; no passing possible, just one long slow caravan.

x2.

Stayed at the Villas SQ, headed N. in the dark. Tons of buses. Knew I had made a mistake. I'll head out later next time.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 11:00 AM

All is calm today in the San Quintin Valley region and the gasoline/diesel delivery trucks are finally moving again. Fueling up for now should not be an issue for those of you coming through on the long haul. Wednesday afternoon is the next scheduled meeting where the growers are expected to present their answer to the representatives of the farm laborers. Thanks for all of your very kind messages of support.

Stay tuned amigos...

PS If you had any hotel/motel reservations made weeks ago, might be best to double check they are still available.

[Edited on 3-23-2015 by BajaGringo]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 11:50 AM

Thanks for the on-site reporting.

Here's a short news clip:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 04:42 PM

I left SQ at 5AM this morning..There must be a curfew cuz there were NO people anywhere...In Vicente Guerrero, different story..large crowds of protestors and lots of cops in riot gear....OXXOs all closed and shuttered....in one spot a bunch of people seated on the ground surrounded by cops.....I was glad to get out of there....In Gila Bend Az now....

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.