Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Handheld Marine Band Radios
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 11:03 AM
Handheld Marine Band Radios

I have a 14 foot motorboat that I use on Bahia Concepcion. I'm thinking about buying a handheld marine radio for emergency use and listening to morning weather reports out of El Burro.

Any recommendations? Not the cheapest nor the most expensive. I have 120VAC in the RV to charge the batteries. Are there options that I need / don't need? Is single side band reception standard / needed?

I'm heading down after Semana Santa. :bounce:

Thanks
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 11:21 AM

Waterproof. Adjustable wattage for longer battery life. L-Ion batteries last longer and charge faster. Spare battery.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 11:22 AM

SFandH, in addition to the mounted ICOM VHF in my boat, I always take along a handheld ICOM Model 36 in it's case/holder. It's waterproof and floats...both very good features as sooner or later it will end up in the drink. Has exceptional long range and a plug-in for large antenna adaptability. Operates on battery saving low power to high power for emergencies. About $150, but better deals sometimes come up. Think quality, safety, assurance.

Has more features than you'll ever need. Has rechargeable battery pack that is quick change for a ready-to-use charged spare. To recharge just snap the complete radio into it's stand...easy peasy. Can also use regular batteries. You will want to monitor channels 16 and 22 in Conception Bay. You can easily adjust the radio to scan more...or all...channels.

Good luck and have fun in the Bay.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 12:17 PM

I have 4 of the Baofeng UV5R dual band handhelds I've used them several times without any problems. They are cheap at $30. I use a longer antenna because I'm told that the smaller antenna that comes with it overheats the radio when used for long periods. I don't know as I have never tried it. A friend of mine says he used his talking from Rocky point to San Felipe, but he may have used the mag mount roof antenna. If friends use it use the key board lockout feature, saves problems of pushing the wrong key.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_3?url=search-alias%...
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 01:13 PM

I think for the price Uniden makes a good handheld.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 01:34 PM

I am a sailor. From long experience, make sure the battery pack comes out of the radio, and that it can be recharged or also run AA batteries. Once your rechargeable battery reaches End of Life your radio can still be used.

I have such a radio, bought at West Marine.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 01:58 PM
Midland

I have 4 of there and they work great

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Nautico-Waterproof-Marine-Radi...

Took one on a cruise and listed to ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore radio traffic. Also use them on our fish/ski boat....

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 02:23 PM

Baofeng UV5R ... and the battery stays charged a long while when not in use ... very useful tools :):)

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by wessongroup]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 02:26 PM

Check on the Baja Sur Craigs list. Someone is probably getting rid of one now.
In the US craigslist there are lots for sale.
Other than the ICOM VHF, the WEST MARINE VHF has a lot of great press from users.

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
SFandH, in addition to the mounted ICOM VHF in my boat, I always take along a handheld ICOM Model 36 in it's case/holder. It's waterproof and floats...both very good features as sooner or later it will end up in the drink. Has exceptional long range and large antenna adaptability. Operates on battery saving low power to high power for emergencies. About $150, but better deals sometimes come up. Think quality, safety, assurance.

Has more features than you'll ever need. Has rechargeable battery pack that is quick change for a ready-to-use charged spare. To recharge just snap the complete radio into it's stand...easy peasy. You will want to monitor channels 16 and 22 in Conception Bay. You can easily adjust the radio to scan more...or all...channels.

Good luck and have fun in the Bay.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by Pompano]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 02:34 PM

Hi Udo,

I have 2 other handhelds from West Marine...a Standard and one of the stores own brand..a West Marine. I have used each extensively and while they are okay, I prefer the Icom. I shop SD West Marine a lot and use up a lot of their credits.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 02:54 PM

My West Marine corroded out in 5 years.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 04:33 PM

Ouch, Martyman, sorry you had a bad corrosion experience with your West Marine. Made me wonder about mine, so I just got it out of my gear to check it. It's been next to the salt since I bought it, so I was a bit worried. But then, I hit it with some Salt Away after each time out on the water....y'know..that stuff that Bob poo-poos in another thread. :rolleyes:

It's working fine after 10 years. A West Marine submersible handheld. Batteries are still strong and charged after lying idle for over a year. Knock on wood! I have a good working Advantage Rewards membership that helps with most returns...just in case. ;)

I still like the Icom, though, but that's just my opinion for the OP. This one works fine, too.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 04:39 PM

Am I mistaken, or do you pay 50% more for stuff for the privilege of shopping in a West Marine store?

Great comments about the radios BTW. I'm glad I asked. Thanks to all who have replied so far.

[Edited on 3-26-2015 by SFandH]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 04:47 PM

SFandH,

If you ask 20 shoppers about West Marine, you're going to get 20 different answers. I figure it's like anything...if you can find a better deal, go for it.

I like the stores because they're full of the things I love. Some are cheaper than elsewhere, but some are not. My choice.

I never let public opinion stop me from shopping at a Walmart or a Costco when the occasion arises. Hey, I like redheads, too...and that's a dangerous thing.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 06:20 PM

...Made me wonder about mine, so I just got it out of my gear to check it. It's been next to the salt since I bought it, so I was a bit worried. But then, I hit it with some Salt Away after each time out on the water....y'know..that stuff that Bob poo-poos in another thread. :rolleyes:

looks like your radio in the picture is "coated" with salt...
you probably should have saved some money and used some "tap" water instead of "salt away":lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 06:50 PM

I have 2 icoms. The oldest one is 25 years. Replaced one battery in that time. Try not to let them go UNDER water. Rinse with what you have, but rinse them off.;)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I have 2 icoms. The oldest one is 25 years. Replaced one battery in that time. Try not to let them go UNDER water. Rinse with what you have, but rinse them off.;)

Yup, I agree. I have a huge supply of this stuff to rinse things. Even the big jugs to refill the spray bottles. I also use it to rinse off the Salty Dog glasses.....

salt away.jpg - 11kB

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 10:59 AM

I too have one of each.
The ICOM is easier to use, and that is the one I leave at the house in BA, and take out on the kayak.

Hi Udo,

I have 2 other handhelds from West Marine...a Standard and one of the stores own brand..a West Marine. I have used each extensively and while they are okay, I prefer the Icom. I shop SD West Marine a lot and use up a lot of their credits.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:14 AM
Hand held VHF

As always pompano has a Good answer !! I Tell my guys & girls to buy ICOM or STANDARD only...nothing else !! And will not install any else except maybe a KENWOOD...A regular 25 watt 12V (13.8) is WAY better than a hand held..pretty much line of sight but a much better way to go and with a handheld as a side kick ...when you install a normal 8' antenna do not cut the coax to size..always leave at least a 8' lenth and coil and tuck away. and tie with zip tie's..your boat "tip of the Day"...K&T

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by captkw]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 06:32 PM

Of reputable names, I think there are only two - Icom and Standard Horizon.

My Icom is Li-battery, holding charge for long time. You can carry a spare one, charged. Or - get a model with AA pack, there were some, don't remember.

Doesn't have to be from West Marine, and yes, many times I noticed WM charging 30-50% higher prices for the same stuff than other stores.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.