BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: People being turned back at San Felipe without proper immigration docs
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 03:56 PM
People being turned back at San Felipe without proper immigration docs

A report on TalkBaja just a few minutes ago that immigration is turning people back at San Felipe today if they haven't got proper docs:

Quote:

Immigration is sending everyone back that doesn't have 6 month visa, temp visa or permanent visa TODAY.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/105320639...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 03:59 PM

If this is true, cannot we expect the same sort of roadblock South of Maneadero? Not that it affects me, as I always stop and get the card.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 04:01 PM

:yawn:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 04:05 PM

The post says 'near San Felipe', so if at the military checkpoint, then that is 31 miles north at the Hwy. 5 and Hwy. 3 intersection. I wonder if it is a true INM officer there or they actually enlisted the military to do something outside of their assigned role?

The Pole Line Road and Arroyo Grande areas are north of Hwy. 3, for anyone concerned going on Ken's Easter weekend trip... which is within the 72 hour time limit and inside Mexicali municipality. If the whole caravan stops there for FMM's then add a couple hours to get out of Mexicali, maybe?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 04:35 PM

Was a post here a couple weeks back, at the Algodones crossing, Imm not giving free 7 day fmm for San Felipe,
claimed the holders were staying more than 7 days. San
Felipe is 123 mi so. of Mexicali, a very generous Border
Zone, with it's 72 hr. rule, perhaps Mex Imm is redifining the so called
Border Zone
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 05:12 PM

So far, all my trips to Baja have been for periods of under 6 weeks and getting a visa at Tecate has never been problematic.

Are there varying time periods that might make a visa application at such crossings more difficult?

My next planned trip will likely be for 3-4 months....will that require a different procedure to get a visa?

Don't believe everything you think....
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 06:17 PM

3-4 months will not require a change, since the regular FMM is good for 180 days, and is good throughout Baja.

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
So far, all my trips to Baja have been for periods of under 6 weeks and getting a visa at Tecate has never been problematic.

Are there varying time periods that might make a visa application at such crossings more difficult?

My next planned trip will likely be for 3-4 months....will that require a different procedure to get a visa?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 06:58 PM

hilarious - the same people complaining about illegals in the US are caught having no proper visas while in Mexico. Some animals are more equal. Made my day!

Harald Pietschmann
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
hilarious - the same people complaining about illegals in the US are caught having no proper visas while in Mexico. Some animals are more equal. Made my day!

ouch... touché....:lol:

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 07:30 PM

Rules don't apply to gringos! Gringos just need to stomp their feet and demand their rights!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 07:50 PM

last time Americans did not like Mexican rules, they gave Mexico a pretty bloody nose and took Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah and parts of Colorado and Wyoming as punishment.

So, Mexico might lose Baja next if they keep asking for immigration papers

Harald Pietschmann
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 08:12 PM

Got married to the misses 10 years ago on the patio behind the Bar Diane on the west side of the Zocolo in Tecate. Had to get a 6 month visa as part of the legal requirements for the Mexico Marriage license. Even though the Judge did the ceremony in both Spanish (about 30 locals attended) and English ( 75 friends attended from our US marriage earlier in the day) it still only took 2 hours for the Judge to complete the ceremony. Still had plenty of time on the visa to drink for five hours before we all stumbled back across the border.
Never did mail in that visa.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 10:24 PM

Thanks Udo....

Hope you are feeling better these days :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
3-4 months will not require a change, since the regular FMM is good for 180 days, and is good throughout Baja.

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Don't believe everything you think....
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 11:53 PM

last time Americans did not like Mexican rules, they gave Mexico a pretty bloody nose and took Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah and parts of Colorado and Wyoming as punishment.

So, Mexico might lose Baja next if they keep asking for immigration papers

Actually we took all of Mexico...or could have but were "nice" enough to give most of it back!!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 07:54 AM

The facebook post is vague as to where the checkpoint is......north or south of SF. I doubt an FMN is required for a day trip...72 hours.....a week or whatever the rules say......from the border to SF, but don't let that detail get in the way of an opportunity to do some US bashing.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:08 AM

I am not sure why many here jump to the conclusion that everyone is abusing the Mexican immigration laws. Many of us run to San Felipe for the day or overnight. Not close to the 72 hour rule...... Why such BS nanny attitude from Nomads? Just curious.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
I am not sure why many here jump to the conclusion that everyone is abusing the Mexican immigration laws. Many of us run to San Felipe for the day or overnight. Not close to the 72 hour rule...... Why such BS nanny attitude from Nomads? Just curious.

Right! Poor Mexico, having undocumented Americans is such a burden to their economy! LOL

The truth, well these bad Americans drive into Mexico through their controlled border. If they are supposed to have the FMM right then, then they would stop every U.S. plated car... Can you imagine what that would do??? So, a 'Border Zone' is created to allow daily or up to 3 day visits in the zone. The issue is they created no system that allows people in the zone to venture beyond it legally without returning to the border or an INM office.

The cure would be to have immigration stations at the southern limit of the border zone where you could obtain the tourist card. Of course with today's population and traffic, that should be a place where a traffic jam is less likely, so beyond any cities, and a lane for foreigners so the local population can drive by easily. This was the case in the days before the 90's when they closed the Maneadero INM checkpoint and moved it to Baja Sur by the Eagle Monument. On holiday weekends there was a small crowd at the checkpoint, but in 15 minutes, you were on your way with the tourist card. Oh, it was free back then... you see, they wanted Americans to flow into Mexico because that meant income for the people of Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:51 AM

You gringos should quit belly aching and get your visas! Crikey! Is it really that difficult?
Have you ever seen how difficult it is to get a visa to enter the USA??? You gringos got it easy! You are complaining about the trivial effort required of gringos to get a visa!?!?!?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:58 AM

Goat-
I am not complaining about anything. I stay legal when I make longer trips. I do not believe 48 hours at San Felipe is required to get a visa. Please recognize that many of us enjoy and respect Mexico and are not trying to "get one over on the Mexicans". If it isn't required, why would you say people should go waste their time on the paperwork?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 09:28 AM

Military checks are at the Jct of Hwy 3 and 5 north of SF. The next one going south is a little north of Gonzaga. No other permanent Military checks. In the past the navy set up temporary checks, both on the Highway south of SF and on dirt roads west of Hwy 5 all south of town.
I was told by an IMN guy at the Algodones crossing that the old rules were removed with the new government. No more 72 hour freebe. He did not mention the free one for the border. He said travel to SF requires FMM, Tremporay, Permanente, or the old unexpired FM1/2
He was stopping all non Mx tag cars and collecting the FMM dollars.
So far nobody here in SF has reported first hand knowledge on IMN at the military check.

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

The facebook post is vague as to where the checkpoint is......north or south of SF. I doubt an FMN is required for a day trip...72 hours.....a week or whatever the rules say......from the border to SF, but don't let that detail get in the way of an opportunity to do some US bashing.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.