BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: People being turned back at San Felipe without proper immigration docs
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 09:34 AM

Back in the day, Mex Imm often wanted to see funds of some
sort before they allowed entry, especially to someone that
didn't meet their appearance standard. With the showing of Bank checks,etc.
There is a bridge that links Guatemala with Mex not too far
from the Pacific, I walked across there late 80's, was told of
a Euro traveller who checked out of Guat, walked over to Mex,
Mex Imm wouldn't let him for lack of $, Guat would'nt let him
back for the same reason, he spent 3 days on the bridge
until someone gave him $ to show Mex Imm. Mex Imm is
very accomidating, we are lucky, but they don't care for
Tourists trying to live as cheap as they can get away with. Still many Gringo tourists
ignore the simple Imm requests of the host country Mex
due to no enforcement

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by sancho]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 03:44 PM

But Thats Mexico,No building permits,no meter for water,No one sends property tax bill.No one come to collect if you dont pay.Got to love this place.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
But Thats Mexico,No building permits,no meter for water,No one sends property tax bill.No one come to collect if you dont pay.Got to love this place.

without a building permit they'll shut down your construction site within a week,
my lawyer told me about a guy he represented for using water without a meter for 5 years = a $30,000 pesos fine. And no, nobody comes to collect property tax, but if you pay by October (due in January), you'll get a 50% discount. That reduces it down to $450 pesos for a 2 acre very, very nice house.

Harald Pietschmann
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

without a building permit they'll shut down your construction site within a week,
my lawyer told me about a guy he represented for using water without a meter for 5 years = a $30,000 pesos fine. And no, nobody comes to collect property tax, but if you pay by October (due in January), you'll get a 50% discount. That reduces it down to $450 pesos for a 2 acre very, very nice house.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 07:45 PM

Ah but you dont live in San Vicente.There are no water meters.Building permits,shut down your home building in one week. There is not one home in SV with building permit.Here is the funny part.True story,few years back new Mayor Stated.All homes in this town,will have and pay for building permits.No matter when they where built.Guess what No houses to this date have permits.Guess what happened to New Mayor,Less then one week after his statement. The towns people,ordered him to leave.He did.Less then 20% pay property tax.For over 25 years that I know.True story.If your wondering,I do pay my taxes.:)
Glidergeek
Nomad

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 11:56 PM

Last thanksgiving the wife and 2 dogs and I crossed at Mexicali. We have a lance slide in camper, they looked in the camper. At San Felipe check point they looked in the camper, at Gonzaga check point they looked in the camper. We stayed 2nights at rancho grande, on the way back north the whole process was repeated, never were we asked for any papers. Should we have been?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 05:45 AM

You went thru the military check points. They are looking for guns and drugs. These kids that man the check points have nothing to do with Immigration status. The people who were stopped by immigration were part of the state wide crack down and sometimes they do it at the military check because it is easier there.
They are easily identified because they do not have rifles and military uniforms.
PW
==========
Quote: Originally posted by Glidergeek  
Last thanksgiving the wife and 2 dogs and I crossed at Mexicali. We have a lance slide in camper, they looked in the camper. At San Felipe check point they looked in the camper, at Gonzaga check point they looked in the camper. We stayed 2nights at rancho grande, on the way back north the whole process was repeated, never were we asked for any papers. Should we have been?
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 06:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
[ And no, nobody comes to collect property tax, but if you pay by October (due in January), you'll get a 50% discount. That reduces it down to $450 pesos for a 2 acre very, very nice house.

I wish that were true. I have TRIED to pay before January and online or at the office they will not accept payment. When i do pay in January it is a 20 percent savings.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 06:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
I wish that were true. I have TRIED to pay before January and online or at the office they will not accept payment. When i do pay in January it is a 20 percent savings.

Get your government senior discount card and present that with your payment. Can knock off up to 50% more

deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 02:02 PM

I'm always in too big of a rush to get to san felipe to afford a stop for an FMM. Never done it. Hopefully I wont need to for the next trip coming up soon. Being turned around at the military checkpoint would absolutely SUCK. Though I'd likely just find a dirt road and go around and continue further south.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 03:04 PM
around check point

Don't know if they still do it but have seen military out on lake bed and other back areas so not sure you would "get around"

Quote: Originally posted by deanfootlong  
I'm always in too big of a rush to get to san felipe to afford a stop for an FMM. Never done it. Hopefully I wont need to for the next trip coming up soon. Being turned around at the military checkpoint would absolutely SUCK. Though I'd likely just find a dirt road and go around and continue further south.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
You went thru the military check points. They are looking for guns and drugs. These kids that man the check points have nothing to do with Immigration status. The people who were stopped by immigration were part of the state wide crack down and sometimes they do it at the military check because it is easier there.
They are easily identified because they do not have rifles and military uniforms.
PW
==========
Quote: Originally posted by Glidergeek  

THIS ^^^

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 09:35 PM

Ive seen someone do it. its pretty sketchy. Not sure I'd be able to follow through if it came to it thought.

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
Don't know if they still do it but have seen military out on lake bed and other back areas so not sure you would "get around"

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2015 at 06:32 AM

Depends on your direction of your travel. The bypass are not really roads, but are off typically pretty rough and slow.
There is a go around at the Mil Ck on Hwy3 when driving from the west. It is over the hill so they cannot see you. Off road for sure. And you need high clearance and the ability to get thru the sand with 4WD or go fast. This go around can be used when going north on 5 then west on 3. Turn off 5 at K149.5.

When coming from the west on Hwy 3 you can go south toward L Diablo. There is a semi permanent military camp near Juan's store. And they will stop you and inspect your vehicle most of the time. At that forsaken place I doubt if the city dweller immigration person would ever go there. The only traffic would be and is the off road people.

No off road go around of the Mil ck on hwy 5 when driving South on hwy 5.
However one can turn west at ~K134 and follow the wood power line and miss both the hwy3 and hwy 5 Mil checks. You will be on a race road and probably should have a race capable rig or plan to go slow. Your options after reaching hwy3 west of the 3 Mil chk is to head south as noted above or go west and head for L Diablo.
Ha what a joke.
PW
=========

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-10-2015 at 08:24 AM

Just a reminder here that if you travel to Mexico without a visa, you are an illegal alien. I really get my panties in a twizzle when I hear people complain about a measly $25 permit when I know how nearly impossible it is for a Mexican to go shopping for a day in San Diego.

A few years back, my Mexican husband and daughter went with me to visit our family in Canada...we were only transiting the states for a couple hours to catch a plane and what they had to go through was HELL!!!

They had to make an appointment in TJ a month in advance which cost $1,000 pesos just to make the appointment!!!...travel 14 hours to get there, wait in huge lines all day, attend an appointment with mountain of paperwork, wait all day for an answer and find out that less than 20% of applicants even get it. I cant rememer what it cost for the actual visa but it sure was a costly venture...just to go to an airport!

they did get the visa probably as we went as a family and had all the addresses and phones of where we would be, blah blah blah...they were lucky.

So when people complain about a measly visa they get on the spot at the border...it drives me nuts knowing what a Mexican person has to go through to visit the States as a tourist.

end of rant

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2015 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Just a reminder here that if you travel to Mexico without a visa, you are an illegal alien. I really get my panties in a twizzle when I hear people complain about a measly $25 permit when I know how nearly impossible it is for a Mexican to go shopping for a day in San Diego.

A few years back, my Mexican husband and daughter went with me to visit our family in Canada...we were only transiting the states for a couple hours to catch a plane and what they had to go through was HELL!!!

They had to make an appointment in TJ a month in advance which cost $1,000 pesos just to make the appointment!!!...travel 14 hours to get there, wait in huge lines all day, attend an appointment with mountain of paperwork, wait all day for an answer and find out that less than 20% of applicants even get it. I cant rememer what it cost for the actual visa but it sure was a costly venture...just to go to an airport!

they did get the visa probably as we went as a family and had all the addresses and phones of where we would be, blah blah blah...they were lucky.

So when people complain about a measly visa they get on the spot at the border...it drives me nuts knowing what a Mexican person has to go through to visit the States as a tourist.

end of rant

A common complaint from the people here in Abreojos as well. Some have been denied because although they had jobs, Jobs that payed better than what they would get working as an illegal in the States, they had no family.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 06:32 AM

Has anyone made the drive to San Felipe in the last couple of weeks? Are they still checking tourist cards at the military checkpoint north of San Felipe or was that temporary. I have driven south of San Felipe a half dozen times in the last couple years and this was never an issue, it was part of the "border zone".

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 06:59 AM

Bajaric -
Smooth sailing now.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

end of rant

Couldn't agree more. I simply get an pay for a 180 day permit twice a year and consider that $50 well spent. And I know someone will point out that it is not a multi entry permit but in practical usage it is. I like the security of always having that permit in my wallet since I have been known to take spur of the moment trips.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 05:26 PM

Went through there on the first and was asked if I had visas. I did but they did not want me to produce them, took my word for it.

They did not appear to be there yesterday on the way north.

TT
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.