BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Where to fill a CO2 bottle in Rosarito?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 04:27 PM
Where to fill a CO2 bottle in Rosarito?

Gonna be headed that way Sunday and my SCBA tank is empty (and WAAAY out of hydro) and i'm looking for a place to fill it up.

Any ideas???

[Edited on 3-27-2015 by woody with a view]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 04:39 PM

rosarito ocean sports rents dive gear so I would think they offer fills? kind of across from the festival, gringo owned maybe have a phone#?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 05:03 PM

Where is the festival? I looked at their website and it is no help at all and less you know street addresses which I don't.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 05:14 PM

woody the festival is the giant hotel nobody goes to anymore just a block north of the rosarito beach hotel. your buddy's pizza restaurant is across the street. getting a fair buzz!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 05:21 PM

Thanks brother.

grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 06:09 PM

I must be missing something here. For what are you using CO2? What is SCBA? I'm old, but in my day we breathed compressed air from a SCUBA tank. Is this something else. Used for racing?

The harder I work, the luckier I get
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 06:42 PM

Filling. Tires.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-27-2015 at 07:51 PM
Co2

Took an old Co2 tank to a welding supply place in Ensenada for a refill, they said it was out of certification and would need to be sent to Mexicali for recert.......they didn't fill it

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:15 AM

Bring the scba tank here to my place in San Diego and I can fill it even if it is out of hydro.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 11:30 AM

I have found that filling compressed air tanks for SCUBA in Mexico that the shops are more diligent about checking for in Hydro AND requiring a yearly visual inspection sticker.

Because you can store compressed CO2 as a liquid do you get more tire fills from the same bottle at the same pressures? (because of state change)

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 01:47 PM

just a regular regulator! it gets cold but doesn't form ice. for anyone counting, i've gotten about 20ish tire fills after deflating for beach driving in the past 9 months.

Larry, i'll be in touch!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
So Woody, what kind of regulator do you use on that? Is dry ice formation a problem?

Any homebrew shop carries regulators that can be used with Co2

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/the-gover...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 04:35 PM

i'm thinking of retiring the SCBA tank. i've got a Coca Cola red CO2 tank complete with Coke sticker and painted red. only problem is my current regulator doesn't fit it and it's HEAVY!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 05:22 PM

Good stuff thanks ... had no idea :):)
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 09:33 AM

Air tanks and C02 tanks are the same, so a 58 cf air tank will fill as many tires as a 58cf C02 tank. The only difference is when you compress air and put it into a high pressure tank is stays a gas. When you compress C02 and put it into a tank it turns to a liquid. You still only get 58 cubic feet of gas out of either one.

Lencho,
I gave that scba (self contained breathing apparatus) tank to Woody, it is not a scuba tank, it is an old fire dept breathing tank and has never been in water. Although it is possible for tanks to get water inside from a compressor system that has bad filters. I maintain my filters pretty well, since I am the one breathing the air in them.

bajaguy
Any high pressure regulator will work for C02, just make sure the intake on the regulator matches the threads on the tank. Almost any inert gas regulator will work, I like to use an adjustable regulator so I can reduce the pressure if I need to.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2015 at 06:32 AM

i didn't see them Frank.

+/- 2000 psi.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2015 at 12:29 PM

I'm thinking they got re-purposed. I would have noticed them. i'll double check.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-30-2015 at 01:04 PM
What PSI for co2?

I had not considered carrying co2 instead of a slow compressor. Due to the cooling effect of co2 being released from pressure, do you have to make adjustments to the tire PSI to account for temperature and pressure increase as the tire warms up?
I run oversize tires at fairly low pressure (26 psi max) and even moderate temperature changes make a difference.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2015 at 04:45 PM

your regulator gets cold, for sure. I've never noticed any loss of pressure as the CO2 slowly warms to ambient temps but never really looked for it either. I'd say it's negligible.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-30-2015 at 05:29 PM

Woody I was thinking of not wasting co2 by filling to the desired pressure, then having to bleed some out after the tires heat up.
It probably doesn't make much difference to a full size rig running higher pressure, but with my little SUV, even a moderate climate change affects the ride, handling, and wear pattern of my tires. I remember chilling several cases of warm beer with a co2 fire extinguisher, so that has to be a cold tire when it gets filled.
I guess the answer doesn't matter much, I know I will be checking and re checking the tires anyway.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.