Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bay of LA Turn off/ Parador PEMEX
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 08:10 AM
Bay of LA Turn off/ Parador PEMEX

On the east side of the highway, south of the wrecking yard, the land has been cleared. There is a fence up, razor wired, with a large sign posted stating Los Pinos Pemex is coming soon.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 08:54 AM

It was only a matter of time before this became a feasible business investment for someone with some cash..............

This will affect some of the "mom and pop" fuel guys in the area for sure.

If supply is consistent at this new Pemex, this could hurt Jesus Maria and Baja Cactus a little. On the bright side, I would guess that fuel demand in Baja will only increase for the foreseeable future.

I hope they put an ATM and a kick ass Subway inside!! JK, a little..............

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by Ateo]

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 09:19 AM

An ATM would be awesome, saving the drive from Bahia to GN for cash. Speaking of Subway, I never noticed how prevalent that chain is in baja until this last trip.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 09:21 AM

doubt there will be an ATM as there is no internet service. Glad to see there will be gas service in the area. Its was always usfull when the old station was there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 10:11 AM

Two issues that caused the original parador Pemex to fail, besides the ejido's failings as business operators:

1) Too far from a bank (cash sales only and too remote for security and money transfer).

2) No local population for employee base. Like Cataviņa, Parador Punta Prieta is not near any town... Punta Prieta village is 7 miles south.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Two issues that caused the original parador Pemex to fail, besides the ejido's failings as business operators:

1) Too far from a bank (cash sales only and too remote for security and money transfer).

2) No local population for employee base. Like Cataviņa, Parador Punta Prieta is not near any town... Punta Prieta village is 7 miles south.

David is correct. Lack of customers was a problem. That is probably different today with all the increased traffic. Don't know about the Ejido operators. Never privy to their books.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Curious, how did the ejido fail as business operators?

Since we know people who drive from Guerrero Negro to Jesus Maria to work, know people who travel from Guayaquil to Cataviņa to work at the hotel, I wonder about the lack of an employee base as a problem. But maybe.

I suspect lack of traffic back then, lack of enough customers might have caused it to fail.

But the good news is that it is returning!

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 12:52 PM

Is there electric power there or do they have to depend on generators?
Without credit cards it will limit how much gas they sell.
CCs mean fill ups.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:33 PM

The power lines from GN to BOLA go right thru there.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:51 PM

If You Build It They Will Come...

It's a good business decision; remember, in another year (mas o meno) Hwy 5 will be complete, and there will be a new customer base headed south with a different set of 'set stops'. Plus, the El Rosario-Jesus Maria stretch is the longest dry spell in Baja.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 02:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Always like another gas option!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 02:23 PM

The last time I passed through and the Pemex was still open, there were more convoys of motor homes and Airstreams passing through than there are now, although there were fewer Mexican commercial and private vehicles.
There was no Pemex station in Bahia De Los Angeles at that time, so it was a 'must stop' for many. Not much local business, and apparently not steady enough tourist traffic.
As far as business failure, I must say that it was one of the filthiest, poorly maintained and staffed gas stations I encountered on that trip. That includes the mainland stations that we encountered after taking the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan on the way to Ziuateneo (sp).

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

It's a good business decision; remember, in another year (mas o meno) Hwy 5 will be complete, and there will be a new customer base headed south with a different set of 'set stops'. Plus, the El Rosario-Jesus Maria stretch is the longest dry spell in Baja.

they are not building for tourists...

there's water in catavina...that means stuff grows

farming brings cars and trucks that drink gas and diesel

think hot houses

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

think hot houses

By 'dry spell' I didn't mean WATER, o wise one. I was talking fuel. And increased traffic numbers of both commercial and tourist vehicles; Hwy 5 will open a huge conduit south from Mexicali and Sonora.

Reminiscing on the area, it would be a good place to have a small community if there is sufficient water available there, well-wise. A motel / trailer park, a couple of eateries both loncheria or restaurants, maybe a truck stop....

The mountain views are spectacular, and the ancient cardon forests of the area are some of the oldest and prettiest in Baja IMO.... I'd spend a night or two there. I usually pull off there for a 10-100 break or a cold pop and a stretch on my way south. Location, location, location.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 02:47 PM

This will be nice because twice in the last year or so, the Pemex in LA Bay has run out of diesel. Having to drive all the way to Jesus Maria to fill up just so I can turn around and go home is an expensive inconvenience.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

think hot houses

Do you think they are building a gas station at the LA BAy turn off to support Catavina?
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 04:12 PM

I do hope that they will have diesel
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by desertcpl  

They will. Los Pinos big rigs don't run on gas.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 05:22 PM

the "gringo" thought is always its because 'I" need it...

ask yourself this...
why would a really rich well educated family with a HUGE high profit established business...

...want a low profit high maintenance gas station in the middle of the desert...with government/enviormentalists watching them everyday...

and...Pemex probably wouldn't deliver the fuel...they'd have to have one of their tankers pick it up and drop it

maybe "dealers" would get a better price on fuel
they do have the trucks drive to Oxnard all the time
with fruit for California

or maybe they are doing someone a "favor"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by desertcpl  

They will. Los Pinos big rigs don't run on gas.

And they do have a slightly larger fuel tank, than your average F150......which calculates into a much better endurance.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.