Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Immigration Check Points Mexciali to San Felipe
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 08:33 AM
Immigration Check Points Mexciali to San Felipe

We spent the last week enjoying our house south of San Felipe but in all my trips since 1973 I have never encountered an Immigration check point on the way down least of all two.

Last Saturday March 21, a check point was set up at the Calexico crossing. The officers were polite but firm reminding all that a permit was required but not turning you back.

Last Friday another checkpoint was set at the military check point junction with Hyw 3 to Ensenada. I did see several cars turned away.

There have been at least 3 immigration visits to the South Campos in San Felipe.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 08:48 AM

Just curious, what organization is manning these checkpoints? Immigration, military, police, or a combo of folks?
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 10:21 AM

Immigration
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 10:23 AM

Thanks Rudy for the up to date info!

Sounds (from your post) like INM is set up at (next to) the military checkpoint.

That you are being told it is required at the border is good, so no surprises.

How long before the San Felipe business association puts a stop to turning back 'customers' before they reach San Felipe?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 11:12 AM

Thank you Comandante for a first hand account. This is what I was asking for in the other thread that is on it's third page without such a report.
I was hoping to hear that getting an FMM further south was an option, but have to admit that I would think it was a lousy idea if the US immigration decided to do that for visitors going north.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 11:26 AM

All Mex Imm is asking is for compliance, I believe on the
Mex mainland, one can't travel 30 mi. or so so., before
needing some Imm papers. Apparently the free 7 day fmm
is still available, at least in Mexicali, so why would San Felipe
businesses be concerned? I believe 7 days would cover most visitors. They are simply enforceing their regs
as they choose.Why does anyone on this board think they
have the lattitude to even voice/suggest how or where
Mex Imm enforces their regs/laws?

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by sancho]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
businesses be concerned? I believe 7 days would cover most visitors. They are simply enforceing their regs

Why? Long lines at the border going into Mexico, the need for a PASSPORT book (they aren't cheap)... Americans have other choices than Mexico for a vacation. The more roadblocks to easily driving to San Felipe, the fewer who will go there.

Baja has always been special consideration over the rest of Mexico BECAUSE it is almost an island. No vehicle permits and extended border zones.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 11:46 AM

DK, your opinions on how the Mex Govt conducts it's business
doesn't mean jack, it is none of your businesss, nada.
Hopefully when you go to Percebu, this will have died down,
so you won't have to worry about stopping for free fmm
or worse spending $50 for 2
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Why? Long lines at the border going into Mexico, the need for a PASSPORT book (they aren't cheap)... Americans have other choices than Mexico for a vacation. The more roadblocks to easily driving to San Felipe, the fewer who will go there.

Baja has always been special consideration over the rest of Mexico BECAUSE it is almost an island. No vehicle permits and extended border zones.

YUP - vacation in the good old USA when you do not like another countries rules/laws.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The only roadblocks to san Felipe tourism are that the town and its beaches are a chithole, and it is an inferno for more than half the year!
Not much trouble to show a passport and get a visa! If that is too much trouble for someone, then God help them for they are hopeless!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 12:44 PM

Goat- your assessment of San Felipe is about as uninformed as most of your other posts. If you have nothing nice to say, STFU!

David K- Your assessment is correct. Unfortunately, Mexico tourism is still on a banana peel and they could use the latitude of the soft enforcement practices of yesteryear. Hopefully, for the Mexican economy, this is a short lived enforcement program.

By the way, I have my 6 month visa. I am not trying to skirt the law.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:03 PM

BTW
Last weekend they came through Pete's. We were eating dinner at the bar and they didn't stop there, but went down to the beach to have a look around.

We followed all of the Mexican laws around residency and we have been residents for 3 years. By law we only have to state that we are residents, however, being a gringo it is easier to show our residency card.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 01:05 PM

Sancho-
Sonora allows visitors to travel most of the state. Recently returned from a trip and no immigration checkpoints to Bahia Kino. El golfo de Santa Clara is about 70 miles south of San Luis Rio Colorado and I have never been asked for papers. Sonora wisely has recognized a "no hassle zone".
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 03:44 PM

My statements are not usually about how things affect me, they are about how it affects others.

I have NO problem getting an FMM, and I have posted a detailed how to with photos to show and explain it. Some of you should read my posts., and not just my replies.

By being alive and working for an income, I can tell you how some others will think about traveling to Mexico. I also hear it a lot from my customers when they see my stickers!

When you aren't on government assistance or have union jobs with enormous vacation periods, you have to do what you can with what you have.

Very simply, the harder Mexico makes it to cross the border, the FEWER people who work will be going there. Because I love the Mexican people, I post IDEAS that will benefit them and maybe take away the cash from government bureaucrats!

My love for Baja is not going to be hindered by bureaucrats, but not enough people love Baja enough to overcome the hurdles that government places on a vacation trip there. There are MANY other choices to take a family than Baja.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 03:57 PM

We always get visas, but two weeks ago at Mexicali it was a real hassle to find parking for 6 vehicles, one with a boat, back and forth to the banco, etc.
We killed over an hour getting all squared away.
Not a big deal, but when you have miles to go before you sleep it is still annoying.
And a $46 charge from a cop and a tow truck for parking in a questionable spot.
All just part of the fun, I guess,
but it could be easier, when they want a dozen guys to come down for 10 days and spend the pesos that we spent..... no freebies in our gang.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 04:17 PM

This is getting Heavy. Maybe the Mexican government should more worry,about the poor people.Working in the Camps for 8 bucks a day. Then tourist cards,Gas,food all cost of living up,Taxes. Dont worry about your own people no food.Worry about tourist cards. Thats great thinking.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 06:26 PM

WTF

Someone on this site needs to get back on Meds or get started taking them

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 06:47 PM
there are several places in Ensenada I can recommend

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
WTF

Someone on this site needs to get back on Meds or get started taking them

Just off Second Street are several farmacias that can help you sir.
The sooner you get started the better IMO
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 06:55 PM

You both look in the mirror,then you will person needs meds. Dont like other peoples opinions.To bad. To knock David for his opinions. again to bad.Thats what he thinks,All your hog wash,is just that.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 07:33 PM

Why is it hogwash for a country to want to control its borders? That is what the Visa/permit does. I do not blame them. Where else other than the border would you have them do this?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.