Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Review of La Huerta hotel, San Ignacio
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:45 AM
Review of La Huerta hotel, San Ignacio

This is a large and lovely new hotel on the site of an orchard. It has ample parking on the grass in the area in front of the hotel, but no RV spaces. The hotel is located a short drive past the mission on the north side of town.

The rooms are large and very clean with modern amenities. It was $650 pesos per night for a double room. They allowed my dog (poodle- under 20 lbs.)

It's very quiet and peaceful. (After a few nights in the wind, camping at the Lagoon for whale watching, I appreciated having a good night's sleep.)

The aviary cages on the hotel grounds are home to an owl, a pair of pheasants, a pair of peac-cks and many chickens laying eggs on the ground. There is no restaurant to prepare the eggs, but there is a market across the parking lot for food, ice etc.

It is an easy walk into the central plaza past the sculpture garden and mission.

It's nice to have another option for hotels in this small town. I highly recommend this one.

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by Whale-ista]

[Edited on 4-21-2015 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:49 AM

Interesting, near the mission by the lagoon. Which mission? Which lagoon? A few more clues please.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:55 AM

Got it. Just south??? of Ensenada. La Huerta is a town name. Not the name of the hotel?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:59 AM
Disappearing text

I just clarified location- having trouble editing long posts, where the text will disappear completely as I'm copying and pasting the links for photos. Then I have to reenter a lot of information. Somehow the name of San Ignacio disappeared during one of those instances.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:05 AM

Looks like a great place and I believe these are the first photos I've seen of the place. I'll be making reservations here soon. Thanks.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:05 AM

looks nice, I will have to check it out. Any idea on who built it?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:08 AM

Any AC?

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:13 AM

I didn't pick up any information on who's funding the project.

One of the people in our group was told they have plans to build a restaurant soon. They certainly have the space for it-it's quite a large open area between the road and the hotel itself.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
looks nice, I will have to check it out. Any idea on who built it?

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Any AC?

Yes. They have full amenities including satellite television.

At Check-in they Give you a small box with the remote controls for AC, TV, ceiling fan etc.

very modern set up. Wi-Fi also available in the office.

They offer coffee starting around 6:30 AM. If you want it earlier I recommend going into the plaza to this little café on the corner.

They also employ a security person on the grounds overnight to keep an eye on the vehicles. I met him while walking into the plaza at sunrise.

The employees I met (cleaning staff, security, office staff) were all locals who seemed very happy to have jobs at this new business.

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by Whale-ista]

güéribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:41 AM

Thanks for the review. I love the board for this kind of practical information.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:42 AM

Thanks. Sounds perfect.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 11:17 AM

Thanks Whale-ista - looks like a great new place.

Do they have a website? phone number?
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 02:08 PM

I believe the Zuniga family built the hotel, they also own the mercado at the entrance. They are an old San Ignacio family - ask Juanita about their history there.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 05:03 PM

Wow! Never expected a project of this magnitude in sleepy old San Ignacio. Looks wonderful. I'm going to put this on my list for my next trip down, especially since I try to avoid Guerrero Negro.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 05:56 PM

excellent review ! I do believe you are the first to stay there and report back.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 06:09 PM

Hmmm... for some reason, I thought you and Les had stayed there, but that doesn't make sense. Maybe you just mentioned that it was open?

In any case, it was not my usual Baja budget travel place. But we 6 ladies shared rooms & splurged after a few nights in tents, battling the the wind & dust at the lagoon! We drove in from the lagoon, cleaned up, and took a walk around town before dinner.

After walking back from Tootsie's, having enjoyed a meal of delicious food & wine.... it was a heavenly evening in San Ignacio!

La Huerta was clean, quiet and comfortable- I rarely sleep so soundly at Baja hotels!
Highly recommend it!

One more thing: the oasis water in town is such a treat to the skin after the harsh water elsehwere. If they ever open a spa at this hotel, I would be in 7th heaven!

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
excellent review ! I do believe you are the first to stay there and report back.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 06:09 PM

Funny. The Zuniga's are like the Arce's or Villvicencio's.... Everywhere.
Ask for Senor Zuniga and 1/2 the town will get up.

Did the bids make a lot of noise? Peac-cks especially can be obnoxious.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 06:50 PM
Peac-cks as traditional security guards

The birds were noisy during daylight, didn't hear them at all at night.

I've heard that peac-cks are used as security alarms in some settings- they put out such a loud call when startled, they make the perfect emergency alert system!

These were calling in the daylight, but when I walked over with the poodle they were curious- but quiet.

[Edited on 4-6-2015 by Whale-ista]

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 01:08 PM

Tried to get in back in Feb., all booked up. Hope they do well, looked like a great place to stay.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 01:32 PM

Nice review. Many thanks.

I've entered it into our Travel journal.

Allen R.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.