Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: temporary resident paperchase
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2015 at 03:34 PM
temporary resident paperchase

We have been spending 50 - 150 days each year, primarily in northern Baja, for 25 years. Other than when we went into Baja Sur, we have never bothered with FMMs, as nobody ever asked for one. Rather than continue to be hypocritical and disregard Mexican laws, we would like to attain our temporary resident status and be "legal".
If anyone has had experience with a suitable/trustworthy attorney ( perhaps in the Ensenada area) who can help us out with this process, we would would really appreciate it.
Please feel free to provide advice...soy jubilado, I have time to read.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-16-2015 at 06:05 PM

Carlos and Gabby Victorica, Ensenada

Carlos Victoria
646-112-5408
646-154-2962
carlosvictorica7@hotmail.com

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2015 at 06:11 PM

Your $25 tourist entry visa is good for 6 months and is quite sufficiently legal and is absolutely required to have in Mexico if you're spending more than a few days in the northern section.

However, if you really want to get on the residency visa bandwagon, just do it yourselves. It quite easy. Your immigration office will have all the information you need.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 05:27 AM

I disagree...you need assistance

you are already an illegal alien

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 05:52 AM

temporary visa is easy if you can read and speak the language fluently. INM can be picky. The cost for assistance is about $100.
The card is ~~$400 for 5 years.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 07:59 AM

If I'm not mistaken you will have to submit a valid FMM with your application for Residente Temporal

Bob Durrell
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 08:11 AM

You may be eligible for permanent resident status under the new amnesty program. Good until dec 2015.
http://www.chapalalaw.com/new-regularization-amnesty-program...

SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 08:44 AM

What is the process if I marry my MX novia?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 08:46 AM
The process....or the way it was

You start the process by obtaining an FMM, then present the FMM and other documents (check with the Consulate because requirements differ by Consulate location) to your nearest Mexican Consulate.

If the Consulate approves, they place a Visa sticker in your passport and give you a form.

The form HAS to be stamped and signed by INM AT THE BORDER within a certain time frame. You then take the form and all of your documents to the INM office which has jurisdiction where you will be living. You HAVE a certain time frame to present the form to your local INM

YMMV

It's best to contact Carlos or Gabby BEFORE you start the process.....it's worth it to use their service

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 08:52 AM

Sly, you will qualify for a TR
See
http://rollybrook.com/how_to_move_to_mexico.htm
Bottom of page

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
You start the process by obtaining an FMM, then present the FMM and other documents (check with the Consulate because requirements differ by Consulate location) to your nearest Mexican Consulate.

If the Consulate approves, they place a Visa sticker in your passport and give you a form.

The form HAS to be stamped and signed by INM AT THE BORDER within a certain time frame. You then take the form and all of your documents to the INM office which has jurisdiction where you will be living. You HAVE a certain time frame to present the form to your local INM

YMMV

It's best to contact Carlos or Gabby BEFORE you start the process.....it's worth it to use their service

Is their tiny office still where it used to be next to the port captain?

Bob Durrell
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 09:12 AM

Yes it is,very good service from Carlos.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 01:23 PM

Bajaguy is right, you get FMM first.

Obtaining temporary residence is not too complicated, but there are rules - mostly financial. You need to demonstrate your financial independence, by either showing $US 2,500 income per month per person or $US 100,000 in savings. The amount "may be" reduced if you own property in Mexico. Speaking fluent Spanish is neither required nor gives you any advantage - not technically, anyway.

Here is in more details: https://www.mexicoonmymind.com/mexico-immigration-laws/

And, as Mulegena said, you will be perfectly legal if you just get 180 days tourist card once a year, cost $25.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 01:27 PM

Bob is right.

When applying for a temporary or permanent immigrant visa, you have to present an FMM that has the "CANJE" check marked. The visa will not cost you anything, and you MUST obtain it at the port of entry. You then take that, and then fill out your paperwork at the nearest INM office that you will be residing.

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
If I'm not mistaken you will have to submit a valid FMM with your application for Residente Temporal

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Bob is right.

When applying for a temporary or permanent immigrant visa, you have to present an FMM that has the "CANJE" check marked. The visa will not cost you anything, and you MUST obtain it at the port of entry. You then take that, and then fill out your paperwork at the nearest INM office that you will be residing.

From my experience that's not quite right. I did not need an FMM to begin the process at my local US Mexican Consulate. I went in and got the list of docs they wanted. Returned a few days later with the docs and had a temporary Mexican Visa placed in my US passport.

When I flew into Cabo the first time after the temp visa, I filled out an FMM and went to the citizens line at Imigration, had my FMM stamped, my Temp visa stamped and my US passport stamped. I had Paperworks in Cabo do the expediting for me so they took copies of FMM, US passport and Temp visa along with lots of money. Several weeks later I had an interview with INM in Cabo. Several weeks after that I had my 1 year temporary res card.

The FMM came after the initial visit to the US Mexican consulate

[Edited on 4-17-2015 by BajaUtah]

Andy
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 02:38 PM

As always, different offices apply their own rules.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 06:46 PM

I don't see much discrepancy in these posts. If somebody never ever had any status, or only had FMM at some time, they won't need FMM to begin the process in the consulate. Consulates don't issue FMM. They will eventually need FMM when coming to establish their temp status.

Again, they can just get FMM at the border and remain happily a tourist. Simple.
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 10:30 AM

Thank all of you for your experienced and helpful comments and suggestions. Although we know we can continue to make the simple stop for FMMs each trip south, we still want to give it a try on the temporary resident process. We will use the assistance of Carlos & Gabby in Ensenada, submit the paperwork and work through the ever-changing requirements of the officials and procedures we encounter.

It's great to have the Nomad forum to tap into the vast experience of all of you who are willing to share your experience and knowledge. Someday, I hope there is a subject that I can chime in on with some helpful info.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baja43  
We have been spending 50 - 150 days each year, primarily in northern Baja, for 25 years. Other than when we went into Baja Sur, we have never bothered with FMMs, as nobody ever asked for one. Rather than continue to be hypocritical and disregard Mexican laws, we would like to attain our temporary resident status and be "legal".
If anyone has had experience with a suitable/trustworthy attorney ( perhaps in the Ensenada area) who can help us out with this process, we would would really appreciate it.
Please feel free to provide advice...soy jubilado, I have time to read.

I really applaud your decision!

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 10:36 AM

after a few years (they go by so fast) you will get a permanent status - and the somewhat costly annual renewal will be history.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.