Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: travelling to baja by rented rv
johanna.12

[*] posted on 4-16-2015 at 11:46 PM
travelling to baja by rented rv

Hi Baja-travellers,
My husband and I are planning to spent our 3-month-parental leave in the usa and mexico. We were planning to rent a campervan and travel along the us-golf coast to baja california sur.
Being used to Europe, we were not aware of how difficult it seems to be, to cross the border between usa and mexico with a rental car.

does anyone have any experiences with that or have a tip how we can realise our plan? We do not have an US-passport which might make it even more difficult?

we are happy about every hint
Greetings from Germany
Johanna
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 07:11 AM

Hello and welcome to Baja Nomad. You may get a lot of advice here! The first thing would be to find a company that allows their vehicles to go into Mexico. In the San Diego area is one we know of: http://cabaja.com/

The other issue is to have a Mexican auto insurance policy for your time in Mexico to cover liability and the vehicle. CaBaja.com may arrange it, but we also have good experience with http://bajabound.com (who sponsors this web site).

Two Nomads we know from Germany (who live in Baja California and the U.S.A. are fernweh (Karl) and 4x4abc (Harald) who may have some additional information regarding Germans in Mexico? Harald writes books and articles for a German publishing company. There is much to see in the northern state of Baja California, as well as Baja California Sur.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 11:25 AM

Be very very careful driving down in Baja. Roads are very narrow in places and unexpected road hazards are not uncommon. And do not drive at night.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 11:38 AM

Beware. Most people on this forum are not going to know. Already one is having you contact San DIego when you want to travel the US Gulf Coast. I would check with the various rental companies where ever you plan to rent.
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 02:38 PM

Johana

What is parental leave?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 02:51 PM

Since you asked for every hint, this is my OPINION, 3 months
rental would amount to quite a few $$$.
German passport holders apparently
do not require a visa from Mexico, just the tourist card fmm,
good for 180 days, $25 dollars. Finding a rental Co. in the USA
looks like you starting in Florida? That allow their vehicles
to go into Mexico may be a problem. Crossing back into the
US would not be difficult with a rental. I'm not familiar with German
tourists to the US requirements. By the way, Mexicans
by my accounts, welcome residents of Alemania over just
about any other nationality

[Edited on 4-17-2015 by sancho]
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 03:06 PM

you might want to check out Cruise America

they have stores on the East coast and also on the west coast

you might also check out buying a RV,, all rental companys will

when your done with your trip , just sell it
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 04:09 PM

Something else came to mind, to drive a vehicle into Mainland
Mexico, about 25 miles into Mexico, the distance varies, one has
to get a car permit, that permit is basically tied to the fmm. Mex
wants you to leave Mex with that vehicle. So
without being the owner of your rental, that may present a problem. Although I understand one can take a vehicle in that
one is making payments on, like from a loan Co., with written
permission. Both Baja states, north and south have NO car
permit required. As posted, have heard of Europeans buying
vehicles then selling them after the trip, don't know how
practical that is, might be an option
You might try www.rv.net, they have a Mex rv forum, and
www.mexconnect.com also has Mex driving info

[Edited on 4-17-2015 by sancho]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 08:11 PM

Johanna,

using a rented camper in Baja California is not that difficult. However, you will have to make sure that the rental company will definitely allow the vehicle to be used in Mexico.
Getting reasonably priced insurance for Baja might pose a problem.
Short term (day by day) insurance can be purchased right at the border, but be prepared to pay at least $30 a day.
Purchasing a yearly policy will cost a lot less. You will have to contact one of the major companies before your trip to arrange that. They usually require a US address and a valid US insurance for the vehicle. Because you don't have either, you will need to talk to them way before your trip.

If you are lucky, the rental company can arrange for Mex insurance - but it won't be cheap.

Something to think about : You are not required to have insurance in Mexico. However, if you are involved in an accident (fault or no fault), the police will hold you (how does jail sound?) until you can prove that you have enough money to pay for the damages. Bring a copy of a well filled bank account and you'll be fine.

Make sure you'll visit me in La Paz. When will you be traveling?

[Edited on 4-18-2015 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
johanna.12

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 03:26 PM

Jei! This is a great forum! That a lot of usefull information in a very short time! So first-thank you all for your responses!
I will start to contact the rental companies directly. nearly all of the companies I found in the internet are firstly denying to bring their rv to mexico.
(Is it that dangerous in baja, or why is it that difficult???)
I have sufficently time for researching. The plan is to leave to the US not before april next year. But I have to start early to get all the permissions- from my company etc.
(@rdrrm8e: parental leave is a time periode were both parents take a break from work to look after the baby, without loosing their job or their benefits . It might be completly wrong translated from my side ☺;)
Maybe buying and selling is realy the better option? We are on a thight budget and only looking for very small c-motorhomes, conversion vans or small truck campers.

@4x4abc: we will be happy to visit, if we make really make it over the boarder. But I am verry optimistic on that
johanna.12

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 03:46 PM

Jei! This is a great forum! That a lot of usefull information in a very short time! So first-thank you all for your responses!
I will start to contact the rental companies directly. nearly all of the companies I found in the internet are firstly denying to bring their rv to mexico.
I have sufficently time for researching. The plan is to leave to the US not before april next year. But I have to start early to get all the permissions- from my company etc.
(@rdrrm8e: parental leave is a time periode were both parents take a break from work to look after the baby, without loosing their job or their benefits . It might be completly wrong translated from my side ☺;)
Maybe buying and selling is realy the better option? We are on a thight budget and only looking for very small c-motorhomes, conversion vans or small truck campers.

@4x4abc: we will be happy to visit, if we make really make it over the boarder. But I am verry optimistic on that
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 05:54 PM

Willkommen,

I have met many RV travellers from Germany over the past 5 winters at the RV park we stay at in Baja. Many travellers import their own vehicle and travel in groups of 2 to three vehicles. Often, the RV is an off-road type of RV like this type:
http://www.unicat.net
...and people are travelling around North and South America.

There are also many people traveling in smaller rental RVs. Some of these people travel in large caravans with companies who specialize in guiding.

With research of the route and your needs, and usual precautions, travel in Baja is a fun adventure.

You might consider choosing a town large enough to offer longer term rentals like vrbo.com, then renting a local car to see the sights.

Best wishes for happy travels!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 06:48 PM

I don't think we know where you are entering the US, and where you want to travel in the US, and where you plan to cross into Mexico. You might want to consider doing the RV thing in the US and return that vehicle. Thereafter, cross into Mexico, bringing camping gear, and rent a vehicle in Mexico to travel around in. If you decide to tour Mexico in the areas where you would otherwise need a temporary registration, that would not be necessary with a Mexican rental car. You don't need much to camp. I know you'd probably rather not lug around a tent, etc., but that may be an option that would make your travels more simple. The cost of renting a vehicle vs. a camper might be worth the cost of buying camping gear.
Also, what is it you would like to see and do in Mexico? You could also cross into Mexico and take the bus to a town where you'd like to spend some time, and rent a car there - like Loreto - travel from there, return the car and fly back. There are options.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by johanna.12  

if you are not leaving until april next year, i take it the baby is not born yet? and by my calendar, perhaps you are not yet even pregnant? :lol::lol:

there are several RV rentals that allow their rigs to enter mexico. it's an insurance/risk mgt decision of the owner whether to allow rentals to enter mexico.

i liked traveling with my new infants,... but would not want to live out of a small camper for three months with a new born. :!::!::!:
johanna.12

eureka.gif posted on 4-19-2015 at 04:20 AM

@ mtgoat666, We are not planning to take a newborn into a plane ;) so it will nearly be a year old at the end.
Can you give the names of the rental companies you refer to?

Normaly we travel a lot and we are very used to just to hop on busses, trains and planes and just "go with the flow" wherever we want to and without planning too much. But to be realistic, I think travelling with a child will be very new for me and it is the first time I really want to be prepared.
We only want to visit baja california, entering via california. I think renting an rv in tijuana is not an option. only car-rentals there as I see. But it would make things much easier if I am wrong.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 04:41 AM

Buying a small rv in the US sounds like the easiest option.

there is a site called CRAIGSLIST which has amazing deals.

good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 06:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by johanna.12  
@ mtgoat666, We are not planning to take a newborn into a plane ;) so it will nearly be a year old at the end.
Can you give the names of the rental companies you refer to?

Normaly we travel a lot and we are very used to just to hop on busses, trains and planes and just "go with the flow" wherever we want to and without planning too much. But to be realistic, I think travelling with a child will be very new for me and it is the first time I really want to be prepared.
We only want to visit baja california, entering via california. I think renting an rv in tijuana is not an option. only car-rentals there as I see. But it would make things much easier if I am wrong.

RVs are not my thing, so I do not remember names. I have seen rentals in baja. The only name that comes to mind is El Monte RV
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 09:39 AM

johanna.12

check your U2U

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 10:05 AM

If you sign up for the American airlines AAdvantage mileage plan (no need to even fly) you can use the code #217692 to rent a Toyata Corrola from HERTZ for pickup and return at San Diego for $622.76 per month + $91 for infant seat. Full coverage auto insurance runs $11 per day but if you use a major credit card (AMEX, VISA or Master Card) the extra coverage is not necessary because the credit card company provides it.

This is what we do every year to travel to Canada and the car gets amazing mileage. At this rate we can afford the hotels along the way.

[Edited on 4-19-2015 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 10:11 AM

Grüß Gott, johanna. Herzlich willkommen in Baja Nomad.

If you plan to rent your RV in California, I know that El Monte RV Rental permits crossing into Mexico, but the renter has to purchase their travel insurance as well. We also met a Swiss couple at our house near Bahia Gonzaga several years ago. They were in a "Cruise America" RV and it was before the pavement had extended much beyond Puertecitos. Theirs was an "adventure" you may not wish to duplicate beyond the fact that Cruise America may allow their rentals into Mexico.

When we rented a four-wheel-drive camper/pickup in South Africa (2006) from Britz, we were told that they "partner" with a couple of RV rental companies in the U.S. in renting small (more suitable for some limited off-road travel) camper-vans. I can't remember which companies and I don't know if they still have this business relationship or not.

There is a web site that has a large directory of RV rentals throughout the world and might be a good source with which to begin. I believe its something like All Motorhome Renals or something similar.

I suspect you'll receive much good information right here on Nomads.

Viel Glück!

Allen R.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.