Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ensenada Costco
Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 08:43 PM
Ensenada Costco

Wondering how the Costco in Ensenada works? Does my US American Express cost co card get me in? Can I use it to pay?
Do they have similar items as in US? Pacifico Beer ( Can't find it anywhere in Baja) Thinking of buying stuff for the guys (OK old men north of SQ) would appreciate any hints/suggestions..about Costco. Thx
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 10:38 PM

I have used my American Express card at both Tijuana & Mexicali with no problems, they showed the conversion of pesos to dollars right on the receipt. I had no problem negotiating the store and found the locals were very helpful if I had questions on the products. The guys in the parking lot were very helpful. JH
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 10:43 PM

In Feb I went in the Ensenada Costco, got in with my Amex card. Didn't try to pay with it though. Just came back from Cabo last week, used my Amex to get in and pay for my purchases. I'm sure thy would take it in Ensenada as well. I bought Pacifico in the Cabo Costco as well. When I stopped in Ensenada, it was to pick up stuff for the grandpas. They can certainly use canned or dry goods, but that is a great location to buy fresh stuff for them since it is so close. Stuff like meat and chicken would be a welcome change. Necessities like TP, adult diapers, and baby wipes are in big demand.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 04:04 AM

your Costco card will get you in the door at any Costco around the world.

The prices at the Ensenada store (we found) seem quite a bit higher than in the States.

So good that everyone has the grandpa's on their care list :)))))

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 06:08 AM

As Blanca mentions...prices are higher than stateside. At least prices on anything worth buying there......imported items. The cost of duty to import is the obvious reason, but there are others.
If you can't find Pacifico, try Indio. It's good.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:35 AM
Costco chickens

I have always been amazed that Costco could ship chickens to Alaska, and cook them to perfection for five bucks! I have purchased them in Washington, Oregon and California, and the price and quality is consistent.
The one I bought in the Cabo Costco was a disappointment. It was smaller, overcooked and under seasoned, and cost almost two dollars more than it's northern cousins! I can understand import duties causing higher prices for things we commonly buy up north, but I was told that the chickens come from Mexican producers, so I don't get the higher price. I have found better chickens at better prices on the local economy.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:50 AM

Actually, I believe business down here works on a much larger profit margin than their stateside cousins, considering the tax loop holes and the low employee pay with benefits. I mean for instance....they don't have a clue as to what unemployment insurance would be.
And....on the chicken note....one of the things in Mexico one should make every effort to avoid, is domestic hot dogs. Most are made with turkey [which isn't a problem] and stuffed with extenders. When boiled, they swell up to the size of a loaf of Bimbo.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

....one of the things in Mexico one should make every effort to avoid, is domestic hot dogs. Most are made with turkey [which isn't a problem] and stuffed with extenders. When boiled, they swell up to the size of a loaf of Bimbo.

Just a minute, Dennis....

Are you "dissing" street cart dogs?????:o:wow::wow:

Just a couple of them will balance a belly full of beer, a missed lunch , breakfast, or dinner....and leave a drop of whatever on your shirt.....

Oh, the horror.......they are a basic food group for some of us....regardless of their quality....

Don't believe everything you think....
theotherone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 11:41 AM

I believe you can use your US based Costco/American Express credit card, but you may be charged foreign transactions fees. Mexican Costco locations use a dual pricing system where costs are listed in cash (MXN Pesos) and slightly higher amounts if using a credit card.

In general I have found prices in Mexican Costco locations slightly higher than US Costco locations. Only exception is national/regional made products, Tequila/Mezcal, Mexican Wine, Mexican Coca Cola, etc...

[Edited on 4-19-2015 by theotherone]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-25-2015 at 07:44 AM

The Costco in Ensanada,when you use American Express card (USA) you get a 2.75$ charge when you use it.It is American Express that makes the charge.For us we have 10 markets in San Vicente,One market may have good apples,but nothing else.Next market good Oranges,nothing else.Or all markets no good. Waist of time to shop here.Costco's always has best veggies.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.