Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tijuana border crossing
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 10:15 AM
tijuana border crossing

Can't find a map or directions for the best route from Ensenada Northbound to the US border. I know someone has posted it. Can anyone help? Any construction/detours we should know about?

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 10:24 AM

So many choices, but Hwy. 1-D is well signed all the way, if the downtown Tijuana/San Ysidro border is where you want to go. Since I have not gone to Tijuana northbound in a couple years (prefer Tecate) I will hope others provide any changes.

The Corredor 2000 (via El Florido) is an easy way to the Otay Mesa border crossing, and it now has a direct off ramp from 1-D (at Popotla). The toll at this off ramp is NOT for Corredor 2000 (a free 4 lane highway) but for the portion of 1-D you came off of since the last toll booth near Ensenada.

Finally, there is Tecate... take Hwy. 3 exit, just north of Ensenada, all free and many 4 lane or new wider 2 lane miles now to Tecate. If you want the directions to the Tecate border, let me know.

[Edited on 4-19-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit confused. We usually go thru Tecate but have heard the wait at TJ is significantly better lately. I'm confused about getting on corridor 2000 from hwy 1. Also do we cross at San ysidro or Otay Mesa?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit confused. We usually go thru Tecate but have heard the wait at TJ is significantly better lately. I'm confused about getting on corridor 2000 from hwy 1. Also do we cross at San ysidro or Otay Mesa?

Well that is your choice... I have done both Tijuana and Otay. The Tijuana/San Ysidro border is the one that has been in the news about faster crossing times.

Two days after Easter, late in the afternoon, I only waited 10 minutes to be inside the USA at Tecate.

The Corredor 2000 is on the map... the divided highway shown leaving Hwy. 1-D south of Rosarito (at Popotla) and going NE through El Florido and meets the Tijuana to Tecate toll road (2-D) about 5 miles east of Otay Border. No toll charge for the part of 2-D you are on... it soon becomes a city street with signals. Well signed where to turn towards the border 'Garita Otay' for the final mile.

If you want to try the Tijuana NEW DEAL then, follow the signs for San Diego/ I-5, etc. after the Playas de Tijuana toll booth. You will exit the highway and curl around and under it going to the north side, climb steeply up the hill to the border fence and follow the fence east... then you will curve away from the fence, follow signs, 1 or 2 signals later turn left then get over into the right lane and exit to the right and curl up onto the bridge over this mess... and you will be in line for the USA. AGAIN, I haven't gone this way in a couple of years... but until newer details are offered, that will help you visualize that mess.

[Edited on 4-19-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

theotherone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:00 PM

Yes, using the Corridor 2000 (northbound) is the easiest & fastest way to get to San Ysidro, Otay Mesa & Tecate border crossings. You'll avoid a couple of toll booths and a bit of congestion.

If your destination is the Tecate border crossing, another alternative would be to take Mexican Federal Highway 3 from El Sauzal.

I would recommend that you review Google Maps before taking either route.

[Edited on 4-20-2015 by theotherone]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:16 PM

Crossing into San Ysidro is much quicker than in the past. Still have to take into consideration Sunday traffic though.

Was using Otay Mesa more often before times lowered at San Ysidro.

Completely understand why some choose Tecate as well.

Directions are well done here:
http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/directions/

Wait times going into San Ysidro:
http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-19-2015 at 12:17 PM
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:28 PM

Another consideration: What size vehicle are you driving?

If you are driving a large vehicle with limited visibility/maneuverability, I would suggest Tecate (via Hw. 3, which has been widened & much improved) or Otay (via Corredor 2000).

Both may be better vs. braving downtown Tijuana traffic.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:37 PM

Weebray, no offense but if you can't figure out a simple turn from Hwy 1 to Corredor 2000, you should forget about SY.

If anything, getting from Hwy 1 to SY crossing will not be easier than finding the Corredor: Directions to SY.

Btw, you don't really need the Corredor to get to SY. But it's a convenient way to get to Otay or farther East.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:59 PM

once you get down to the bottom of the hill and pass the bomberos station you come to a red light. You will turn left at this red light and if you're not in the correct ane you'll either end up in a tie or end up in colonial federal. In my opinion it's easier to not take the sign that's marked San Diego I five afteryou pay the last hole and continue up the hill into TJ drop you down past revolution and you can see the approach better on which lane you're supposed to be in. And of course your mileage may vary!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 01:00 PM

Damn voice recognition software! You'll figure it out eventually. Just follow everyone else.

CCgirl

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 01:03 PM

Discover Baja web site has directions and pictures that you can print out
go to discoverbaja.com on the home page - search for "directions to the San Ysidro Border Crossing" then scroll down to the heading San Isidro regular car crossing directions - you can read and print out pictures and written directions in a PDF
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 01:51 PM

Thanks Nomads. For the past 25+ years we have always gone North thru Tecate but since downtown SD is our destination this time we thought we'd give TJ a try. We will be crossing on Wed. or Thurs. upcoming. Will report our adventure.

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Weebray, no offense but if you can't figure out a simple turn from Hwy 1 to Corredor 2000, you should forget about SY.

No offense taken, you're right of course, I think I'll just call a limo.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 04:06 PM

Geez.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 04:12 PM

Crossing back on a Wed or Thur, can't imagine SY would be
more than 45 min tops. Going thru Tacate back to 5 always
seemed to take way too long

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
once you get down to the bottom of the hill and pass the bomberos station you come to a red light. You will turn left at this red light and if you're not in the correct ane you'll either end up in a tie or end up in colonial federal. In my opinion it's easier to not take the sign that's marked San Diego I five afteryou pay the last hole and continue up the hill into TJ drop you down past revolution and you can see the approach better on which lane you're supposed to be in. And of course your mileage may vary!

Woody-- is the light always red?? Or were you passing the Hong Kong Club???
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 05:40 PM

today...

from the toll road to blvd 2000 there's an off ramp
there is ALSO a gate and a toll fee

if you take the Ensenada toll road north to the end and DONT turn at the san diego off-ramp sign but go straight you drive right to "the right turn circle" that puts you in line

be sure to stay in the middle lane...
then when you get to the cement barriers....STAY LEFT of them until you get to the off ramp circle

otherwise you "take the tour" of tj

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 06:03 PM

I just crossed at Tecate this afternoon (Sunday) and it only took 25-30 minutes. At Otay Mesa, our regular crossing sport, we would have waited an hour easily in the ready lane. From Valle de Guadalupe to Uptown San Diego the whole trip only took about 2 hours.
I think from Ensenada and all points south, we will be crossing at Tecate from now on.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 04:09 PM

Using the ready lane at San Ysidro, I have not waited more than 25-30 minutes in the last few months. But I don't go at peak times. I usually cross at about 10AM.

No need for the long detour through Tecate. I did the Tecate run before the construction was done at SY and while the toll road was broken, but now that both of those projects are completed, no problems at all with the most direct route.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 05:08 PM

CCgirl

welcome to bajanomad and thanks for the most informative post!

have fun and safe driving weebray.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.