Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Solo bike ride ends in rescue
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 04:35 PM
Solo bike ride ends in rescue

The rider from NYC is lucky Antonio form Desert Hawks is such a great guy. Excellent read. Gets good after the crash.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050562
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 04:47 PM

I carry an Inreach because I do alot of solo trips. Hope to never need it but glad to see it actually works.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 05:45 PM

Interesting. ANtonio goes out to the desert to get the guy. Stabilizes is leg. Then makes the round trip to the border. $495 and the guy thinks that is a little too much.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 05:47 PM

That's quite a read.

Baja Cactus's Antonio going WAY above the call of duty!!!!!

Delorme's In Reach, unbelievable performance in alerting help for this injured rider.

Farm worker demonstrators chasing his ambulance with machetes. :mad::(:o:yawn:

(note to self....get "In Reach" and keep donating to Desert Hawks!)
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Interesting. ANtonio goes out to the desert to get the guy. Stabilizes is leg. Then makes the round trip to the border. $495 and the guy thinks that is a little too much.

Ya, I thought that comment was way out of line
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 08:51 PM

What a lucky dude! Laying out in the desert immobile, fully expecting rescuers to come along and wondering what is taking them so long. Thanks to DeLorme, and special thanks to Antonio. Not too long ago the last thing he would have seen was buzzards circling above and people wondering what became of him. How technology and time have changed things.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 09:30 PM
Thanks Ed!

very good reading! :bounce:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Ya, I thought that comment was way out of line

Dude was a green horn. He should not have been riding solo. And he is an a$s. He got a super cheap rescue and complains about it! As$wipe!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 10:08 PM

Actually, he seems appreciative and supportive of Desert Hawks. He posted this tonight:

"I donated a couple hundred bucks to Desert Hawks, and they sent this email. You guys might find it interesting (Antonio and his partner, Andy, are great people):

Thank you so much for your donation. It could not have come in a better timing..."

Then he encourages others to donate.

Let's hope Antonio gets more of the equipment he needs (and doesn't need to use it too often).

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 05:28 AM

It would have been 10000.00 in the states! Crazy to ride alone in Baja. I just couldn't do it

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 09:24 AM

wonder if the $200 was above the $500. or did he just give 200...remember what he did to the guy who took him around the roadblocks.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 09:27 AM

And Antonio took his bike North for him!
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

Mood: Garboso

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 10:45 AM

I read the post from the guy and I did not get that he was complaining about the ambulance service. Here is what he wrote in his post.

The EMT driver called 911 for a US ambulance to pick me up. He happens to manage the best hotel in El Rosario Baja Cactus and he manages the Pemex which is next door. AND he is the fire chief which is also volunteer like the EMT squad. He said he would store my bike at the hotel until I could make arrangements for it... what a nice guy. I dont know how he manages all this stuff seeing as how he wasted half a day transporting me to the border. Being that his EMT service is non profit they ask patients to cover all costs gas and supplies so I had to pay him 500 US. That was like 5 for the splint 2 for the gauze and 493 for gas to the border and back about 400 miles. I knew I was paying a little extra but thought it was fair.

May have been some other bonehead that b-tched about the cost.

I do however question his judgement about going solo at his age which I estimate to be upper 40's and also being by his own admission a "little guy" and riding such a tall bike.

[Edited on 4-27-2015 by BajaBean]

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBean  

I do however question his judgement about going solo at his age which I estimate to be upper 40's....

BB,
I am 64 and ride solo in Baja most of the times when I am down there....on a tall bike....

The only time I have been injured is when riding with another....trying to follow a Nomad in silt beds ( but he is a desert racer so goes as fast as he thinks he does :spingrin: )....likely the same conditions (silt) that busted this guy up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

Don't believe everything you think....
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I do however question his judgement about going solo at his age which I estimate to be upper 40's....

BB,
I am 64 and ride solo in Baja most of the times when I am down there....on a tall bike....

and your judgment is in question too..........

(by the way I need to ask you about campgrounds in AK/BC for my summer MC ride to Hyder)

:cool:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 12:40 PM

TDK,
I KNEW someone would throw that back at me.... :biggrin:

Don't know anything about Alaska camping, but parts of BC ....I could offer questionable advice to help out a Nomad rider... :cool:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 12:56 PM

Thanks I'll u2u u.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

BB,

The only time I have been injured is when riding with another....trying to follow a Nomad in silt beds ( but he is a desert racer so goes as fast as he thinks he does :spingrin: )....likely the same conditions (silt) that busted this guy up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

Only an idiot or someone with no friends would ride alone in Baja :lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

Mood: Garboso

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 03:32 PM

I am 70 and I ride solo too, and on a tall bike (I am 6'1" with almost 3 ft of inseam) but not off into the dirt somewhere I have never been.

motoged probably knows where he is going and how to get home.

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Only an idiot or someone with no friends would ride alone in Baja :lol::lol:

You two gentlemen are clearly of above intelligence.....I am an idiot who has no friends who knows how to get home....:lol:

But riding alone....I can stop whenever I want, don't have to speed to keep up with others, can meander at will, don't have to get uptight because my ride buddies are slower (or other manifestations of PIA syndrome), and I can call it a day at my leisure.

But, hey.....wanna see a pic of my broken fibula?

Some ride partners have to stop every 20 minutes to check in with the better half.... :rolleyes:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.