Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: newbie truck camper question
dckiteboards

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 05:37 PM
newbie truck camper question

Heading to baja this winter to kite /surf and chill

Were picking up a older truck camper super cheap from a friend and going to rebuild it over the summer however before we pick it up I had to throw out a few questions

The camper has good working fridge/stove
planning on running fridge off goal zero power systems
stove is propane.

now the little lady immediatly noticed it doesnt have a shower/bathroom
I think were fine with going with solar showers out side with a pre assembled curtain around the camper (if thats acceptable?, biodegradable soap?)

however I havent dealt with the lack of toilet
can we just run one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-41541-Portable-Toilet-gallon/dp/B004SFKJIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430871018&sr=8-2&keywords=camp+toilets

and if we did run said toilet above where do you keep the chit untill you find a place to dispose of it? or do most sites down there offer bathrooms? I def want to hit up some remote sites etc?

maybe its just worth spending 3-5$k on a more modern camper?

Thanks!!
C
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 05:48 PM

buy prell shampoo. it lathers in saltwater.
buy a 5 gallon bucket.
buy a toilet seat that snaps on bucket.
insert plastic trash bag, snap on lid, make deposits.
tie a knot in the bag and put in bucket for transport.

dckiteboards

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 05:50 PM

for sure but what if we are there for 4 months.?
a buddy just sent me this link and seems better than the camp toilet

peat toilet/wag

http://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-GO-anywhere-Portable-Toilet...
dckiteboards

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 05:55 PM

also sounds like no burying crap in baja?desert?

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 06:00 PM

Where are you going - Los Barriles La Ventana ? I'd go for a newer camper w/ grey and black water holding tanks if you can afford it - when full you can use the dump stations at most RV parks for a fee. The long term campers at many of the free camp beaches down there just dig a deep hole and stick their RV waste hose in it or have a makeshift outdoor Banos enclosure .

dckiteboards

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 06:07 PM

we have never been but well be all over la paz, remote surf spots etc..

havent made a list yet of what to visit or where to camp. but were going all the way down

just kitesurf/surf motha f'ing chill!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 07:04 PM

Welcome to the sandbox. I had a buddy that took a Chemco in his van. While crossing the desert (hot) he heard a hissing sound. It was coming from the Chemco. He was trying to release the pressure and it exploded on him! rule #1 with a Chemco while driving do let it get hot, or carry it empty. The second unit is the same idea as Woody's.
I would get whatever you think will work and have her TRY IT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. Better to have fail here then have to cut the trip short cause of a unhappy wife. It's easier to fix before then during the trip. Most soap breakdown pretty fast while going through sand or dirt keep back off the waters edge a couple of hundred feet. Prell and dawn for soap for us.
Get you wife a lady J or such it keeps the pee off her feet doing a pit stop while driving. See here:
http://www.campmor.com/c/s/gear/personal-care/portable-toile...
Most east cape places do have toilets. From Todos Santos to Punta Baja on the pacific side do not have toilets.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 08:08 PM

if you hang out where other people are - there are toilets somewhere

if you chill in remote spots - chill!
don't burden your brain with toilets
find a comfortable bush and do what humans have done for a few thousand years - pick a bush with a view
BUT please - do not leave anything else than poop or pee behind
paper, tampons etc belong in your trash bag (camp fire works well)

the shovel trick for paper etc does not work
the curious coyote will dig it up
and the paper will fly around for some years

Harald Pietschmann
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 08:46 PM

Burn your toilet paper and the coyotes will do the rest. 😇😇😇

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 08:07 AM

Regardless of where you will be staying, you will need water. Takes water for those solar showers. I'm thinking you won't be in one place too long then (vis a vis your capability of water storage) for the toilet issue to become significant. Ditto: "please - do not leave anything else than poop or pee behind". The 5-gal bucket with a seat works well. At least it's all in one place - and please dispose properly. You won't need to curtain off the shower - wear a bikini. Use waterless dry hair shampoo. Joy detergent also lathers in salt water. I've camped with groups and they handled the toilet situation by digging a fairly deep ditch - laying two wide boards across. Foot on each side - the hole is below you. A shovel is nearby - cover it. TP is available hanging on a branch. A basin of water with soap is also nearby. The water gets changed regularly. There is a "Occupied - Unoccupied" flag upon entry. If the flag is gone, don't stray into the area. When you leave, fill the ditch and leave the area as if nobody has been there. The natives of remote islands have, for centuries, gone into the ocean for this duty. Caution - it floats - go 50 yards away from where people are. This issue is not a big deal, and I wouldn't get into fancy contraptions for it. When you pass a gas station, or stop at a restaurant, take advantage of the facililities.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 08:17 AM

This really comes down to how comfortable you & wife are crapping in the desert. As long as your wife is happy you'll be happy.
We shower with salt water and use rinse with fresh.
When we are done with the bags we take them out to a remote place and dig a hole burn everything and bury. The bucket can also be used around camp for other stuff.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.